• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mini xbow

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
My little brother has chickens. With chickens come nasty little predators like skunks and raccoons that keep killing them. We've decided something needs to be done about it.

He does live outside of town limits, but just outside, so any rifles are out due to ricochet concerns. Bows are out because its gonna be in pitch black with just a light, a quicker shot might be needed. A shotgun would be fine because they dont have the range to find their way through the woods. A crossbow might be nice and quiet so we dont bother anyone with noise.

I'm looking for a mini crossbow, or other cheaper end crossbow that would primarily be used solely for small game, like skunks raccoon and occasional rabbit. What do you have or recommend?

I've kinda been eyeing the pse viper ss.

Cheers

Pellet rifle. Any ricochet would destroy a little lead .177. The alloy pellets will ricochet. A properly placed .177 will do the trick though.

This is my goto for yard varmints and rodents. Low noise that sounds like a cap gun and doesn’t alarm neighbors. If ricochet is a concern, try putting some small bales of straw or hay behind the intended shooting lanes.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/quiet-22/6-960.html

Fired from a bolt action .22 rifle these rounds are surprisingly quiet.

You can also "set up" your own shooting lanes. Couple hay bails, a few anchovies, spot light.....

Back