• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Minimum tree (or branch) size for a platform

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Quick question: What's the smallest diameter tree, or branch you'll stop at and hunt from? The bottom diameter doesn't matter, and assuming its an oak or some other hardwood....
Also assuming its a "best killing tree/branch" spot!

“Well how big a feller are ya?” -Roy D Mercer.

I mean I’ve tucked up into some pretty small trees, just high enough to step up on the platform. “If the strap fits, it sits. I’ll get in where I fit in when I have to.” And you can quote me on that.

Last edited:
I have been in trees that are not much bigger then a really large grapefruit if the conditions were right and that is all I had. I carry a ring of steps and platform so I would just use the ring in that situation. I have had platform on some small trees with no issue

If I’m manufacturing platforms, I’m making them to function properly on 6” diameter tree minimum. Anything past that is ok as a fringe benefit but not worth money or design tradeoffs to chase.

If I’m using a platform, and it functions at any tree diameter, I get in whatever tree I need to, that allows me to kill a deer. If a platform only functioned properly at 6” and above, it wouldn’t stop me from killing deer or carrying it. There are very few times most hunters will ever be affixing a platform to trees below 6”. On average. Expecting a platform to work well on a 4” diameter tree, and it hold me without swaying or swishing, and it offering enough cover to hide me, and it offering enough shooting room, create a very very narrow spectrum…

Whichever tree has the cover, and strong enough to hold me and not sway everytime I scratch my nose. I have hunted some trees that might have been 4" diameter, and killed deer out of them. It is case by case, never a set rule.

I’ll set up wherever I have to. But, if the spot I need to be only has small trees I won’t get in the tree if it’s gonna sway, especially on a calm day. The last thing I want is to be in a tree that accentuates my every movement. All that said, I killed a buck this year from a hemlock that was short and stubby. It was 12” at the ground but only about 6” at my feet 8’ off the ground and 4” at my tether. When the deer came in I had to be extra careful that my movement didn’t get the tree shaking. It all worked out, but had the timing of the deers arrival been different he could have easily picked me off from a distance due to the whole tree shaking everytime I made a minor shift.

Last edited:
Just enough to peek over a hill to a bedding area while rifle hunting. Any smaller, with the 30mph wind that day wouldn't have worked.
b674074493bad4a46f0b6ad9d057bd23.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Back