Mock Scrapes

ricky racer

A few days ago someone posted a question about mock scrapes asking if they work. I set up a mock scrape 2 weeks ago and set a trail camera overlooking it. I hung a section of grape vine, raked an area under it with a gardening tool, peed in it and left.

Today I ventured in and pulled the card and had a bunch of deer on camera visiting the scrape. Quite a few does but mostly bucks. Here are a few of the pictures.

9-5-2019 Kimbles-1536x864.JPG

9-7-2019  Kimbles-1920x1080.JPG

8-31-2019 Kimbles-1920x1080.JPG

8-30-2019 Kimbles-1920x1080.JPG

8-25-2019 Kimbles-1920x1080.JPG

Last edited:

DaWiz9578

Im sold on mock scrapes as well.

It definitely gives them a purpose to walk in front of the camera.

Before on trails sometimes they would walk right down them, sometimes off to the sides kind of random. Now they all sqaure right up on the scrape.

RippinLips

I just put my first one in this year. Walked out of the area and I’m hoping for the best. I won’t be back in that area until first week of October.

DaWiz9578

Tried to get this to upload earlier on my laptop but image was too big. Bunch of does and bachelor bucks cruising it to. Wack it around with their heads a couple times and move on

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Silvio

20190909_210726.jpg
A few days ago someone posted a question about mock scrapes asking if they work. I set up a mock scrape 2 weeks ago and set a trail camera overlooking it. I hung a section of grape vine, raked an area under it with a gardening tool, peed in it and left.

Today I ventured in and pulled the card and had a bunch of deer on camera visiting the scrape. Quite a few does but mostly bucks. Here are a few of the pictures.

View attachment 16267

View attachment 16268

View attachment 16269

View attachment 16270

View attachment 16271
Had four bucks around my mock scrapes

Last edited:

DaWiz9578

Well done. Did you guys execute the mock scrapes in previously known transition/staffing areas?
I only have 5 wooded acres and dont think I hold any deer, think they just mosey through and grab some acorns between bedding and food. I have a think canopy and almost no ground cover for them to mat down and that's why I said before sometimes they would line up with the camera sometimes they'd be 20 yds off. This really helps to define the travel

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Every time I hang a camera I clear the dirt and pee. I also clean the dirt under my stand and pee in it. I did that one time and had a doe walk under my stand and pee in it less than 15 minutes after I did. It works from my experience

saint1480

I set one up 5 weeks ago, same setup. Grapevine, cleared the leaves and pissed in it. It is literally 100yards from my back door but is pretty thick and behind a small rise. There was good sign of a faint trail, an old bed and in the midst of some oaks. I am hoping there has been some activity.
VERY interesting idea @Jason Wandling,I may have to try that.

DaWiz9578

Every time I hang a camera I clear the dirt and pee. I also clean the dirt under my stand and pee in it. I did that one time and had a doe walk under my stand and pee in it less than 15 minutes after I did. It works from my experience
hahaha. guess ive done that too but never with intention of bringing in deer. good to know. i usually just try to write my name in the snow or something