• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mod the Mantis or new saddle?

Brian6594

Looking for a little more comfort, I like to hunt at least 4 hours.
I also like the adjustable bridge idea. I have one season into my Mantis and Saddle hunting. I absolutely love saddle hunting.
looking for ideas and a little help.

Brian

I also like the adjustable bridge idea. I have one season into my Mantis and Saddle hunting. I absolutely love saddle hunting.

Brian

I would suspect that fact that youre even asking means that you are not comfortable enough in your mantis. I owned a mantis last year. I also struggled with comfort. since that time, I have sat in a treehopper recon, H2 slingshot, tethrd phantom, Aero Hunter Flex, and the ever elusive Yarak. They were ALL more comfortable than the mantis for me. The mantis pinched my hips, rode up constantly, and dug into my back and hips. If budget is a concern, look towards the H2 and the Treehopper Recon. If you are not restricted by budget, still look at those two, and then add the flex and phantom to your list. These are just my own opinions, and you'll have to test and try for yourself.

I would suggest starting with trying different bridges. A triad type bridge or webbing bridge that allows you to adjust the bridge on the bridge loop. Ive heard from many folks that moving to an adjustable bridge ont eh Mantis make a world of difference.

X2. I’ve tried just this and it does. This is a cheap way to try and get more comfort with what you have. If that doesn’t work you could easily sell it on here and try a different saddle.

Sent from parts unknown

I would suggest starting with trying different bridges. A triad type bridge or webbing bridge that allows you to adjust the bridge on the bridge loop. Ive heard from many folks that moving to an adjustable bridge ont eh Mantis make a world of difference.
Yes. This is also correct. I did sit in a mantis with a longer bridge after I sold mine. It did help. Good idea guys.

Brian
Out of curiosity do you prefer to lean or sit? Agree the adjustable bridge will give you more options to experiment w/ what’s causing hip pinch.

Out of curiosity do you prefer to lean or sit? Agree the adjustable bridge will give you more options to experiment w/ what’s causing hip pinch.
I am a leaner.
It is not so much hip pinch as it is the riding up factor after being up there for a while.
Also,
Does anyone else have a problem with the waist belt loosening up?

I have found that I like my tether low, sometimes around adams apple height. So one of the things I really want is an adjustable bridge. I emailed Danno and am watching video and searching on here for links and DIY.

If u haven't tried yet....put the leg loops onto the attachment points out by your hips. I like a chin/neck tether height and a shorter bridge.
I wouldn't worry about the waist belt loosening....u could take it off and be ok once your weight is set

I wouldn't modify the Mantis, that will reduce the value of it. I'd sell it and get a more comfortable saddle if it were me. The Mantis is not known as a comfortable saddle. I think there are better choices out there. Now is a good time to buy another saddle or two or three to try out. You can easily sell the one(s) you don't want. Wait until closer to hunting season and nothing will be available.

If u haven't tried yet....put the leg loops onto the attachment points out by your hips. I like a chin/neck tether height and a shorter bridge.
I wouldn't worry about the waist belt loosening....u could take it off and be ok once your weight is set
That is how i wear it, made it way more comfortable.

I made my mantis bridge adjustable, without cutting anything off, and found that I really like a shorter bridge. I f you want to try that, I'll figure out how to post a picture of the modification. But it's just a cord around the bridge loop and a prussic on the bridge itself. It works great (and I really wish I could say I thought of it myself)

Back