• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modified Cain's Method for WE Stepps

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Here I go again copying a Cain innovation but I've been asked by a couple of guys to put together a video of my slight modification to Cain's method for WE Stepps.

Full credit to the climbing method to @Cain. Without his original video I would never have considered this but I did find that I had trouble just kicking off the tree like Cain to find my way to the next step. Snowy boots, wet trees and my oldness just made it difficult. I tongue in cheek refer to this as Cain's Method for OFG's (old fat guys). I thought this might be helpful to guys considering WE Stepps but, like me, aren't particularly comfortable using aiders and lineman's belts.

Hope this helps. Thanks once again Cain!

Last edited:
I like it. Will have to give it a try. Thanks for taking the time to make a video.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Excellent work! Thanks for sharing that and especially for the effort to make the video.

Another cool and light weight way to get up a tree is just what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I need to get more into my WE stepps. I only have practiced with them last season. I either went with sticks or spikes.

I was just thinking some more about this. Isn't this a version of the "vertical linemans belt" for sale from WEI? the extra prussic and biner plus the extra long rope allows you to use your bridge for both the high hookup when sitting/climbing and the lower hookup when standing on the step and moving your tether up. Just a thought. No D ring required if used this way.

I was just thinking some more about this. Isn't this a version of the "vertical linemans belt" for sale from WEI? the extra prussic and biner plus the extra long rope allows you to use your bridge for both the high hookup when sitting/climbing and the lower hookup when standing on the step and moving your tether up. Just a thought. No D ring required if used this way.

It might, but I have to say that I like how close the D-ring/carabiner keeps me to the lower step when I tie on the next step above my head. When I was first playing with this method, before I had incorporated the D-ring, I was attaching directly from my adjustable bridge to the step, similar to the vertical linesman's belt. I had my bridge pulled pretty tight but still felt like I was leaning too far from the tree to effectively reach around it to tie on the next step. The next evolution was to simply run the carabiner over the belt of the Kestrel. That held me tight enough to the tree but I was a little worried I might inadvertently open the clasp on my belt if the carabiner laid across it while I was attached that way. That's what ultimately led me to the D-ring.

Excellent points.

Can't stop watching and thinking about this.

How do you approach your last/top step considering you have no hand hold to grab?

This method requires more steps than KnSw but is safer in that you are tethered the whole time and have no aiders to rely on (especially the Swaider concerns).

Seems very similar to 1-sticking also, which is a bit lighter of a method but has other drawbacks.

Looks like we are talking 6 stepps or 6 lbs to get to above 20 feet depending on how that last step process goes.

It might, but I have to say that I like how close the D-ring/carabiner keeps me to the lower step when I tie on the next step above my head. When I was first playing with this method, before I had incorporated the D-ring, I was attaching directly from my adjustable bridge to the step, similar to the vertical linesman's belt. I had my bridge pulled pretty tight but still felt like I was leaning too far from the tree to effectively reach around it to tie on the next step. The next evolution was to simply run the carabiner over the belt of the Kestrel. That held me tight enough to the tree but I was a little worried I might inadvertently open the clasp on my belt if the carabiner laid across it while I was attached that way. That's what ultimately led me to the D-ring.
How about a recommendation for a source for that D ring? A quick search on Amazon and Google is not turning up much. I know your can get Cobra buckles with D rings built in but it looks like yours is separate.

Can't stop watching and thinking about this.

How do you approach your last/top step considering you have no hand hold to grab?

This method requires more steps than KnSw but is safer in that you are tethered the whole time and have no aiders to rely on (especially the Swaider concerns).

Seems very similar to 1-sticking also, which is a bit lighter of a method but has other drawbacks.

Looks like we are talking 6 stepps or 6 lbs to get to above 20 feet depending on how that last step process goes.

I use 7 steps and end up with one at my waist when it's all said and done. I definitely use the one stick method more than this during the course of the season but the advantage of this method with the WE stepps is it works well on crooked/leaning trees. For those time where I know the tree I'm intending to sit in leans I carry these stepps and climb using this method.

The "D ring" he uses comes on what we call a riggers belt. Can be bought at most surplus stores. You'll have to cut it out of the belt because they are sewn into it.

That’s awesome man. I’m glad you could take something I shared and use it. This looks effortless and easy. Thanks for sharing.

Back