• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modify older Trophyline?

lardy125

So I got my new (unused), older-model Trophyline a few weeks back. Knew right away I didn't want to monkey with the factory linemans belt and tree tether due to weight and bulk, so I picked up a Cobra D-frame buckle and some tubular webbing to make a bridge & tether. Got those things out the other day and...I'm too nervous to do anything yet. :laughing:

Anyone have one of the older TL saddles that could talk me through it, either here or via PM? Actually, I'll post my planned mods and maybe someone could give me feedback?

1. Cut off factory bridge, replace with tubular webbing that's tied on to the lineman loops. The Cobra buckle will live on the bridge, like @Nutterbuster 's set up.
2. Cut off leg straps (Yes or no, anyone? They're huge and seem kinda useless.)
3. Create tether with tubular webbing to run through Cobra buckle.
4. Hunt??

IDK, maybe I'm overthinking it and the factory straps aren't that bad. I sure don't love them so far, though.

I’d leave the bridge on it myself. After experimenting with a bunch of different lengths, I think the Trophyline is right where it needs to be. Plus the bridge is overkill tough IMO. A good thing.

Other than that, the only other thing I did with mine was put tool belt suspenders on. My saddle had some elastic shoulder straps to hold it up with and I never really cared for that.

Great saddles and hard to beat. I personally wouldn’t cut all that off mine if I were you. Customization is definitely personal preference though.

Good Luck

I modified one and used it for 14 years. Leave the bridge. All you need to do is buy a 4’ lifeline and a carabiner that is wide for the bridge to slide on. The 4’ lifeline will be your tether and comes with a prussic. I also added shoulder straps for the walk in but that would be optional

I’d leave the bridge on it myself. After experimenting with a bunch of different lengths, I think the Trophyline is right where it needs to be. Plus the bridge is overkill tough IMO. A good thing.

Other than that, the only other thing I did with mine was put tool belt suspenders on. My saddle had some elastic shoulder straps to hold it up with and I never really cared for that.

Great saddles and hard to beat. I personally wouldn’t cut all that off mine if I were you. Customization is definitely personal preference though.

Good Luck

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. The factory bridge is definitely sturdy, so if it's not too awkward to use I would definitely prefer leaving it on. Sounds like that's not an issue, though?

I can see the need for a waist belt so if you have the ability to sew that in go for it. The bridge I personally have never had an issue with it. I like my tether as high as I can reach. I also prefer suspenders whether factory or replacement. Leg straps that up to you. I am a die hard TL guy. I want only all original TL and have only taken the knife to 1 of mine ... my advice would be to spend some time in it, before you go crazy with mods that can not be undone. It’s up to you bud!

I guess I’m not the guy for this thread lol I am a zero mod guy and you have plans to mod it heavy. Sorry I’m zero help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind the leg loops on my ambush. I just left them in case I ever sell it. I also don't mind the bridge, the suspenders were already gone when I got it.

I can see the need for a waist belt so if you have the ability to sew that in go for it. The bridge I personally have never had an issue with it. I like my tether as high as I can reach. I also prefer suspenders whether factory or replacement. Leg straps that up to you. I am a die hard TL guy. I want only all original TL and have only taken the knife to 1 of mine ... my advice would be to spend some time in it, before you go crazy with mods that can not be undone. It’s up to you bud!

I guess I’m not the guy for this thread lol I am a zero mod guy and you have plans to mod it heavy. Sorry I’m zero help.

Did you like your elastic shoulder straps? It’s the only thing I took off mine as they were just too springy.

Everything else on those saddles were perfect to me. The leg straps I just dealt with and left them in place.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. The factory bridge is definitely sturdy, so if it's not too awkward to use I would definitely prefer leaving it on. Sounds like that's not an issue, though?

Definitely doesn’t get in the way. I’m not sure which model you have, but my bridge doubles as a cinching waist strap for the saddle while walking.

I ditched the linesman’s belt and the shoulder straps. I kept the leg straps just because they don’t bother me and I feel safe. I added a set of tool belt suspenders from Lowes. All it does is hold the saddle up. The belt/bridge is as original.

Did you like your elastic shoulder straps? It’s the only thing I took off mine as they were just too springy.

Everything else on those saddles were perfect to me. The leg straps I just dealt with and left them in place.

I don’t mind them but I do not love them. I prefer a webbing style but I deal with the elastic.

Haha - no man, that's good input too and I appreciate it! I'm brand-new to saddle hunting and all I hear about is modding this and tweaking that, & the first thing I realized is the factory straps they give you are heavy and bulky. If the factory bridge is usable I actually would prefer to keep it, so I think I'm going to go that route. I still have mild concerns about the leg straps getting caught on stuff, but we'll see how it goes for a bit first. I do think I'll use a less-bulky tree tether and linemans belt, but that obviously doesn't require any modding of the saddle itself. Thanks for chiming in!

Definitely doesn’t get in the way. I’m not sure which model you have, but my bridge doubles as a cinching waist strap for the saddle while walking.

2007 leather "road trips" edition. The bridge doubles as a cinching waist strap for me too, so that might be all the convincing I need to leave it on there!

I left the bridge because it acts as a belt when you pull one of the bridge straps. Mine was pre-modified to include aftermarket shoulder straps made for tool belts. At first I thought they were just adding weight, but after sitting in it I realized without the suspenders the saddle starts to fall down every time you stand up on your platform to readjust. Obviously I kept them. I would like to see any mods that help make the molle loops more useable. They are too big and if there are D rings that fit that size loop I would love to see them.

I kept the bridge. Used the Linesman belt for my treestrap -> bridge attachment (it rolls up nicely). Replaced the linesman belt with static cord + ropeman. and added shoulder straps.

I kept the bridge and the linesman belt on my ambush saddle. The linemans belt may be a little heavier than using an oplux tactical tope, but I like how compact it folds up and I can adjust it with one hand. I use the bridge as a belt to walk in with. Definitely ditch the leg straps and the shoulder straps that come attached. Been hunting with this set up for years. I replaced the stock tether with a static cord and ropeman.

Is it okay to use a static cord for a tether? I'm a neophyte but I assumed it should be dynamic rope

I kept the bridge and the linesman belt on my ambush saddle. The linemans belt may be a little heavier than using an oplux tactical tope, but I like how compact it folds up and I can adjust it with one hand. I use the bridge as a belt to walk in with. Definitely ditch the leg straps and the shoulder straps that come attached. Been hunting with this set up for years. I replaced the stock tether with a static cord and ropeman.

Back