• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modless Mod for JX3 Hybrid fitting and meat hauling

LAKY

This helped me. I found the waist belt rode below my hips which bothered me. I'm short. I didn't want to mod the placement of the waist belt, and I didn't want to take off any of the mesh because I kind of like it. So, I lowered the attachment point of the shoulder straps which made the waist belt ride better on my hips.

This is the original attachment point:

PaintOriginalShoulderStrapsAttachment.jpg

This is where I attached them now:

PaintShorterPersonShoulderStrapsAttachment.jpg

Last edited:
So, now that I've adjusted the torso length without modifications to the mesh, belt, or shoulder straps, I want to pad the hip belt (without destructive mods) for better weight distribution to the hips for meat hauling. These Hip Buddies by Occidental Leather seem like they may work, but, they're leather. I want something a little less scent absorbing.

HipBuddies.jpg

PM me your address, I'll send you the two EXO hip pads I modified to go on the standard belt. I don't think they'll help you much, though.

The issue isn't padding - it's that the belt exits the molle frame, from behind, at a very wide angle. You can't tighten the belt properly, to get the appropriate transfer of weight. Unless you're wider than you are tall.

These pads will help with comfort, but they won't help with weight transfer.

PM me your address, I'll send you the two EXO hip pads I modified to go on the standard belt. I don't think they'll help you much, though.

The issue isn't padding - it's that the belt exits the molle frame, from behind, at a very wide angle. You can't tighten the belt properly, to get the appropriate transfer of weight. Unless you're wider than you are tall.

These pads will help with comfort, but they won't help with weight transfer.
Yeah, that's part of my problem. The attachment point of the belt isn't where it should be for load hauling. But, I wanted to deal with padding where it sits on my hips, and then maybe fab some type of wedge shaped dense structure to fill in the gap. I don't know. I'll play around with a molle belt I have and see if I can come up with something. I appreciate the offer though.

Well, it was easier than I thought it would be. I had a Molle II belt and wanted to see if there was anyway I could put it on the JX3 Hybrid frame without taking apart the hybrid itself. I like the mesh, but I wanted a load bearing belt on it. It turns out the pads at the bottom of the frame make great attachment points for the belt attachment straps. Once I figured that out, I fastened the belt of the hybrid to the molle belt so they were linked together. I flipped the molle belt upside down fearing the curve would get in the way of the seat, but after sitting in it, I don't think it's necessary and will probably flip it right side up.

This definitely took weight off the shoulders which is what I was going for.20221017_191745.jpg20221017_191848.jpg20221017_191943.jpg

Well, it was easier than I thought it would be. I had a Molle II belt and wanted to see if there was anyway I could put it on the JX3 Hybrid frame without taking apart the hybrid itself. I like the mesh, but I wanted a load bearing belt on it. It turns out the pads at the bottom of the frame make great attachment points for the belt attachment straps. Once I figured that out, I fastened the belt of the hybrid to the molle belt so they were linked together. I flipped the molle belt upside down fearing the curve would get in the way of the seat, but after sitting in it, I don't think it's necessary and will probably flip it right side up.

This definitely took weight off the shoulders which is what I was going for.View attachment 74017View attachment 74018View attachment 74019

Nifty. Put any weight on it yet?

Nifty. Put any weight on it yet?
Not yet. I'll take her out tomorrow for a spin. Just wearing it like this and seeing those shoulder straps come off my shoulders felt pretty good. We'll see.

Looks interesting. I’ll be following this. I am 6’ 5” with the GEN 1. When my JX 3 is fully loaded for an all day hunt with food, 6 lbs of water and extra clothing it’s coming in around 34 or 35 pounds. Carrying that for 30 minutes to an hour is no problem, but some days when I am covering a lot of ground looking for sign for several hours I would kill for some load lifters.

Looks interesting. I’ll be following this. I am 6’ 5” with the GEN 1. When my JX 3 is fully loaded for an all day hunt with food, 6 lbs of water and extra clothing it’s coming in around 34 or 35 pounds. Carrying that for 30 minutes to an hour is no problem, but some days when I am covering a lot of ground looking for sign for several hours I would kill for some load lifters.

Yours is easy to fix! I’ve posted an entire recipe in a separate thread.

Well, I'm pretty much settled on how my JX3 hybrid setup as a meat hauler will be. Attaching the hip belt to the frame, lowering the shoulder straps for a shorter yoke, and attaching the load lifters really makes this a capable meat hauler.

40lbs travels easily with this. I did flip the belt around because of the way it felt. I was afraid it would get in the way of the back frame resting on the seat, but it doesn't. I'm liking this.

The plus is, I didn't have to cut anything off or do anything irreparable to it.
20221026_100846.jpg20221026_101004.jpg

Well, I'm pretty much settled on how my JX3 hybrid setup as a meat hauler will be. Attaching the hip belt to the frame, lowering the shoulder straps for a shorter yoke, and attaching the load lifters really makes this a capable meat hauler.

40lbs travels easily with this. I did flip the belt around because of the way it felt. I was afraid it would get in the way of the back frame resting on the seat, but it doesn't. I'm liking this.

The plus is, I didn't have to cut anything off or do anything irreparable to it.
View attachment 74686View attachment 74687

Still attached just to the feet?

You’ve kept the original waist belt on, and around the backside correct?

Do you wear the molle belt hunting or fold it behind you?

Still attached just to the feet?

You’ve kept the original waist belt on, and around the backside correct?

Do you wear the molle belt hunting or fold it behind you?
The lower attachment straps are only connected to the feet. It doesn't move as they're part of the frame.

The original waist belt is still attached as it originally was.

I just loosen the belt. I folded the molle belt's buckles back into it's compartments. I'm using the original belt as designed. It's just strapped to the molle belt to make them one piece.

The lower attachment straps are only connected to the feet. It doesn't move as they're part of the frame.

The original waist belt is still attached as it originally was.

I just loosen the belt. I folded the molle belt's buckles back into it's compartments. I'm using the original belt as designed. It's just strapped to the molle belt to make them one piece.

Looks really cool. I think you probably have a really nice simple fix to the belt portion of the problem on the newer generation of hybrids.

If you're not opposed to it, would you mind doing a short youtube video showing how it's all attached, and with you putting it on and adjusting for load carrying?

It would be really helpful to a lot of folks I think. Thanks for sharing.

Looks really cool. I think you probably have a really nice simple fix to the belt portion of the problem on the newer generation of hybrids.

If you're not opposed to it, would you mind doing a short youtube video showing how it's all attached, and with you putting it on and adjusting for load carrying?

It would be really helpful to a lot of folks I think. Thanks for sharing.
I will try to do that. It will probably be after Thanksgiving. I want to run a few deer through it and get the kinks worked out.

I also require a lot of water, carrying 3 quarts is heavy. If i am hunting close to water sources I started carrying a Sawyer water filter. They are made for hikers weigh close to nothing and do a good job of removing the bad stuff.

I normally start with a quart and refill as day goes on. I carry Nalgene bottle and one of the Sawyer bags.

I also require a lot of water, carrying 3 quarts is heavy. If i am hunting close to water sources I started carrying a Sawyer water filter. They are made for hikers weigh close to nothing and do a good job of removing the bad stuff.

I normally start with a quart and refill as day goes on. I carry Nalgene bottle and one of the Sawyer bags.

Sawyer Filters are awesome, and I always keep one in my pack. Early bow season usually finds me hunting bear between 3500’ - 4000’ and much of the time it can be difficult to find water that high on the mountain. My options are to either descend several hundred feet in rough terrain to find a water source, or pack in a few extra Nalgene bottles and save my legs.

Did you get the video out yet @LAKY. very interested. @kyler1945, do you have a link to the mods you made? The search doesn't work well with 3 letter words like JX3.

Did you get the video out yet @LAKY. very interested. @kyler1945, do you have a link to the mods you made? The search doesn't work well with 3 letter words like JX3.
I haven't done a video, but it does work well for carrying out deboned meat. The Molle II belt straps to the bottom of the frame's rubber bumper feet. I use the load lifters as designed.

IMG_20221128_151733.jpg
20221017_191848.jpg

E4B6A953-1E57-4307-ACB7-681934582617.png

Back