• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Molle pouches or rock climbing chalk bag as saddle hands 'pockets'?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
One issue that I always had with saddles is keeping my hand warm and I prefer not to wear gloves if given the choice. Actually I just like to have my hands in a pocket in general, I find it help reduced movement for me. When I tree stand, I usually just sit with my hands in my pocket, if its cold I have a muff which work great.

With most/all saddles, I lose access to my pant's pockets and hoodie pocket due to the saddle covering or denying a comfortable angle to them. Especially in the Drey Dryad.

I was thinking if using a pouch and adding some quiet insulating material inside it and attaching it to the roll of molle most saddles have. Or one of those chalk bag that rock climber use.

Anyone have a pouch that they can think of that would be ideal for this requirement? Or any pouches can work for what I want it to. I was thinking a softer pouch would be ideal if I can get the warms factor right. I would want it to be quiet too.

Either this

or something from EWO like this

See @DanO .....we need a insulated winter edition cowboy suede pouch option.....or maybe a drop in insulating layer the right dimensions to fit ur standard pouches that everyone already owns and loves.....imagining something like a oven mit/m65 liner

Why not put a muff on your bridge that attaches at either side of your tether? I wear one on the front of my saddle/harness pretty much all the time and keep my hands in it whether I'm sitting in a fixed stand or I'm hanging like I'm in a saddle.

Or, you could just slide a muff up your forearm while climbing and then slide it down and slip your other hand into the free end when you're in position. Probably more likely to lose it that way but it will be out of the way when not in use.

I had a bunch of these bookmarked a while ago bit never got one after I figured out how to get my kangaroo pockets on hoodies etc to work better, from what I remember tractor supply was the cheapest https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/huntworth-mens-hidden-camo-reversible-muff-e-172-hdn-bz but you can spend like 170 and get one from sitka if you want. I'll drink the bib and coat Kool aid a bit but not sure if I can spend that much on a hand muff.

The other benefit to muffs is the dual side access which let's you pull gloves)glove liners off inside of it and putting my hands together always seems to get me to swing side to side less compared to hands at sides/in pockets

I gotta agree with the muff as well. One stays clipped to my pack one the temps hit 50 and stays their until season ends. Having said that, maybe reach out to CGM and see what Jerry and Co can cook up for you. They love a challenge

to extend our tangent ever so slightly further (sorry) i feel like there's a very small niche market for a combo muff/rope pouch. you'd be dropping the whole rope at the beginning of the hunt/when you need the muff instead of just before rappelling, which defeats part of the purpose of the roll pouch i suppose.

Run this one and also run the chest rig. Store whatever you want in the chest rig. Range finder, ropes, snacks, etc and keep hands warm too. Done.

Run this one and also run the chest rig. Store whatever you want in the chest rig. Range finder, ropes, snacks, etc and keep hands warm too. Done.
meh, i like nice things more than i probably should or have the hunting prowess to justify, but i still can't justify that kinda price tag for a convenience/comfort thing. for 25 dollars i can attach two s biners to a cheap one and hang it off a bino harness or chest straps if i wanted, what am i missing?

From your original description, it would seem that you looking for solution other than a muff. I would look at possibly sewing a molle attachment to a mitt and attaching it to your saddle. I would think it would be hard to beat something that’s actually made to keep you hand warm. Good Luck

I know you have a muff. I mounted mine to my bino pac, so it's at the bottom of my ribcage instead of at my waist. Easy access in my Drey. Quite happy with it.

If you're going to DIY something, maybe you'd be interested in making a cocoon or underquilt for your Drey, with integrated pockets? That would be an interesting solution. Personally I'd be uninterested in insulated pockets at my waist; I'd rather use that real estate for other pockets or leave it unoccupied. But fleece bags are an easy DIY; almost certainly easier than modifying an existing product.

See @DanO .....we need a insulated winter edition cowboy suede pouch option.....or maybe a drop in insulating layer the right dimensions to fit ur standard pouches that everyone already owns and loves.....imagining something like a oven mit/m65 liner
I've often used my fleece pouches as hand warmers. The Brown Deception Fleece is our heaviest/thickest fleece pouch and works great :)

Back