• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Monocular / Range Finder Combo?

Patriot

Looking for some gear advice.

I always hunt and scout with binos. Always. I’m blind in my right eye, I’m like 20-200 or something. I can see but the right glass in my bino Does nothing bc my brain doesht listen to my right eye bc it’s so blurry.

my binos broke. So I’m thinking might as well go monocular right? Less weight / bulk? And Half my bino is worthless anyway.

But I want a range finder now. Primarily for understanding distance to trails to help select my preset trees.

can I combine the two piece of gear? Most LRFs I see are like 3-6 x mag. Is that good enough or should I buy both separately. Anyone using their LRF in place of binos? Is it sufficient for you or no?

I’m in the northeast so the function of the bino for me is getting a look at a rack out to 100 or so yards or checking out a rub 40 yards away. Stuff like that. I’m not trying to glass muleys half a mile away.

last question. Do they have harnesses for monos or LRFs? I love having mine on my chest, maybe I can try and mod my bino harness?

Brett they do have harness for them or we can mod something I know a guy with several machines lol. I personally like a range finder and if I can see the deer I can range it and if I don’t see the deer then I don’t range I’m not western hunting so a mono or Bino I don’t use

If you find it let me know. Most rangefinders are 6x and have 20 mm objectives, some have up to 25. Very narrow field of view and crap in low light. I've used it to count points in a pinch, but any deer I need to count points with magnification isn't something I am interested in hanging my buck tag on, so it's kind of a moot point.

I've been saying for years someone needs to make a RF with a 40-50 mm objective lens at 7 or 8x. It would be well worth the extra size to me. I'm still not sure I would carry it often as I usually go without either binos or a RF, but it would be nice to have that to fill double duty. I usually only take binos if I am scouting my way in, or hunting an area that isn't super thick where I can see far just for the shear entertainment of getting better looks in the distance. I pretty much only take a RF if I anticipate longer shot opportunities in the open where it's hard to judge. Most areas I hunt are thick enough that even 30-35 yard shots are rare and out to those distances I don't need a rangefinder.

Back