• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Monocular vs Binocular for saddle hunting

Zero One Actual

SH Member
I am wondering if anyone here with more experience (almost everyone here) would use a mono instead of binos to save weight and space while in the saddle? I have a gift certificate from Vortex and I am debating which route to go for some glass I can have for saddle hunting (east coast, Virginia down through the Caraolinaaaaaaaa's). Thanks for any advice or witty sarcasm.

I’m certainly a novice at best in a saddle too but I find carrying a mono is way more convenient than carrying binos. However I usually end up not using it much because it’s kind of straining on the eyes after a while compared to binos. I’ll whip it out usually only if I see something exciting or good coming along (heyoooo). I did get the small set of Vortex 8x32’s a year or two ago. These are the best IMO for minimalist saddle hunting. Still they have some bulk that can be a little annoying sometimes for me anyway. Might just have to try one or the other and see how you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a monocular instead of binoculars. I own binoculars and usually take them on scouting trips but if I'm hunting the mono works good enough...in all honesty I thing I've only used optics maybe 5 times ever. It is a useful tool and I haven't dropped it from my hunt stuff yet. I don't have vortex but simmons. Fits perfectly in a 9mm mag pouch so easy to move around with molle system.

I personally wouldn't even consider using a mono, I think the benefits are insignificant at best when considering the weight and price of a quality mono vs bino.
I carry Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and couldn't think of a better set of glass for where I hunt in the swamps of Central Florida. They are inexpensive and work extremely well in low light. I learned about them via someone else who frequents birdwatching forums so if we can get particular about saddles - those folks get very discriminating about their main piece of gear - magnification glass.

Despite what I wrote above, I would probably see almost as many deer if I just poked 2 sharpened pencils into my eyes after setting up for a hunt. I carry my binos on each hunt for two reasons: first, out of a habit, and secondly to be able to justify that it truly was a deer (not a squirrel) walking away from my stand site.

I live with my glass and a monocular is just not worth the weight saving. They are not easy to use and don’t usually give you the same detailed image. Even in dark timber I use binos and always surprised at what I see 30 to 40 yards away. Good binos are worth it.

I live with my glass and a monocular is just not worth the weight saving. They are not easy to use and don’t usually give you the same detailed image. Even in dark timber I use binos and always surprised at what I see 30 to 40 yards away. Good binos are worth it.

Also, binos are WAY easier to hold steady, at least for me.

I like binos, but can use a mono no problem. I have a set of Bausch and Lomb 7x42 roofs that are just as awesome as they are heavy. At 1.8 lbs they feel like a chunk of lead, but man you can’t beat them in low light. Hoping to carry them more now that I’ve shed the climber.

Where and how I bow hunt, I've never had the lack of optics make a difference. If I stalked or still hunted more, I'd have a small set of binoculars. As is, if I might be on the ground, I carry a Vortex monocular. If I were even hunting open woods where I could have fun looking around more, I'd probably carry small binoculars. One nice thing about a monocular is that you hold your bow in your left hand and still easily use the optic one handed. It is tough to hold it and focus with one hand. The Vortex focus ring is pretty tight, maybe I just need to use it more.

I have used binos for years, but have recently moved to mono due to an eyesight issue which makes using binos impossible ( unless I close one eye and use as a mono).

If I could still effectively use binos, I would. But then again I am not a weight weenie.

I have the vortex 8x36 and 10x36. For swamps and in general, the 8 is better. More light gathering, bigger field of view and strong enough for what I need. I carry both in a Rick young outdoors bino case and harness. I decided I would leave one back that didn’t get used as much. I may eventually leave to 10 back.

I went through a multitude of Amazon purchases and returns for monoculars last year. I wanted to try and get something better,but none compared to the vertex in low light viewing. None. Take that for what it is worth if you choose the monocular route.

Bino or mono, I would recommend buy the highest quality glass you can afford. It does make a difference. And a nice Rick young outdoors harness makes them easy to carry/use.

I have said for years that a monocular would be perfect tree stand hunting. . I couldn't find any made from the premium companies. Vortex glass is OK but leaves a lot to be desired after you have used Premium glass for 20 years. My eyes aren't getting any better either! My 10 x 42 Swaros are awesome but heavy. However I just had a customer give me his 8 x 36 Vortex monocular. He said he didn't like it and just handed it to me! I may have to give them a shot this season.

A buddy gave me a 10x25 vortex mono and it is pretty sweet for what it is. For 99% of my hunting it is more than sufficient.

I haven't really messed much with any monoculars but I can't go to the woods without my binos. Would be interested in checking out a mono sometime but I always wear my binos on my chest so don't really notice them much. Guess I'm just used to always having them.

I have a vortex monocular I keep in my turkey vest. It's ridiculously hard to steady, but has let me make out a beard on a bird many times that I couldnt see with the naked eye.

But, it's no comparison to a decent set of binos.

I carried a vortex monocular too, but I could never obtain targets fast enough. I'd see it with my naked eye and then try and find it in the monocular and have to search around. Also, I wear glasses and I think binoculars are much more eyglass-friendly.

Back