• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mossberg 500 Video

Nutterbuster

SH Member

So I'm temporarily saddleless. Sold my kestrel, and am waiting for the replacement to come in.

Since I can't swing, I've been doing a little scouting, and tinkering with my duck hunting setup. Just bought some more AvianX woodies, a clay thrower, and this thing. Looking forward to knocking down birds with it, and using the cantilever slug barrel to hopefully take a crack at one of the bucks I located on some shotgun-only property.

I'll be doing some more saddle videos once I, you know, actually have a saddle again! But I think I'll also work in some general hunting stuff. I especially want to make some videos covering the basics for new hunters.

This setup would make the PERFECT gun for somebody just getting into hunting. $400 and you're ready for anything North America can throw at you.

I got a Mossberg 500 bantam combo in 20 gauge before this last turkey season and am in love with it. It's light, fun to shoot, and very effective with some good loads. I put a cheap red dot on top and think it will serve great double duty for turkey and deer. Still haven't gotten into waterfowl yet.

I had a red dot on a rifle. Great to about 50 yards but by 100 yards the dot covered most of the animal. I went back to a 1-4 scope. Been happy since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great video and great points about the versatility of the platform and utility to new hunters.

I went with the 870 when I started but same overall concept by getting the scoped & rifled slug barrel so I was turkey, duck, & deer ready in year one for less than $500. Killed my first deer and duck with that setup. Still waiting on my first turkey!

I do like the features of the Mossberg that you identified and would probably go that route if I were to do it all over again. Love the home defense barrel!

My 870 has "sadly" transitioned to a turkey only gun as I have inherited a Stoeger autoloader for ducks and an old Sears shotgun for home defense. For deer I transitioned to a used Rem 760 carbine in 30-06 which is just a joy to hold in your hands.

I had a red dot on a rifle. Great to about 50 yards but by 100 yards the dot covered most of the animal. I went back to a 1-4 scope. Been happy since.

Not all red dots are created equal. The dot size varies from 2 moa to 10 moa. I recommend 2 moa for deer hunting and 4-8 moa for defensive type pistols.
@Nutterbuster nice video. A 12 gauge will definitely do anything the others will better. There’s a lot of 16 gauge lovers out there. In my opinion it’s close enough to a 12 gauge that it’s hard to justify searching for ammunition. As far as the recoil goes my 12 gauge gold hunter beats me up less than my 20 gauge pump. That setup is definitely versatile. Hope it brings you many years of joy.

I have several mossberg 500, one turkey gun, one with a slug barrel for deer, both in 12 ga. and and two 20 ga. One turkey and one in the youth model I got my son. All great guns and reasonably priced.

M500s are very versatile. I have 2 of them with barrels in 28”, 24”, 20” & soon a cantilever slug

Not pretty but they are workhorses & get the job done

The one with the better trigger is currently in swamp Osceola killing set up mode with Magpul stock & red dot

I may just leave it as a dedicated turkey rig since it’s shooting so good & is sweet to carry in thick swamps
67da7e3941c34e4629b971229249c33f.jpg

I have a 500 that was my do it all when I first got started. I loved it! It has now transitioned to a home defense gun and I moved to a mossberg 835 as a do-it-all. It is even more versatile as it will accept 3 1/2 inch so you can pretty much cover everything from snow geese to rabbits. I have a short and long barrel and just need the slug barrel to round it all out.

This setup would make the PERFECT gun for somebody just getting into hunting. $400 and you're ready for anything North America can throw at you.

I could see that east of the Mississippi maybe, but you would be fairly limited deer and elk hunting out here with a slug gun. I'm tired and being argumentative.

Back