• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mother trucker

Spence71

Just got a call that the land owner called and needed the lock codes to our locks at the lease.

So the logging trucks can park.

Yep. Bow season starts in 24 days and they are about to clear cut 60-120 acres. And wanna guess where the few buck pics are? Smack dab in the middle of that’s about to be a parking lot basically.

One end it the other... problematic but not as devastating. This tho.....

Anyone ever experience this sort of thing? Next year will prolly be fine. But...
We only have 380 acres which may or may not include the road.

Grrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dont let it get you down too much, my neighbors clear cut on both sides of me and we had about 100 acres that were wooded, all of the deer ran to that 100 acre sanctuary area. If you still have good thick areas the deer will concentrate there.

My uncle pulled this **** 3 years ago. My old spots were useless for that season, and I started hunting somewhere else. My little brother informed me my old treestands are perfect, and he expects a good season this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

That kind of **** is why I won’t pay money for a lease. He shoulda gave a discount or a long heads up that he planned to log and especially planned to log in hunting season. That’s just disrespectful. If I pay you good money solely for hunting rights it’s your responsibility as the landowner not to screw up the hunting season.

As said, clear cuts can be great to hunt the following few years for bedding and food, but to clear it right now would have me fighting mad wanting my money back

Spencer

Aint that bad. They logged our little lease and we killed deer in areas where it still smelled like pine sap and gasoline

You’re right and it can be worked around and hunted still. But don’t make it any less disrespectful

Spencer

I’ve had similar issues in past on ground we leased or had permission to hunt! It will affect the deer but it depends on how much and where they are cutting on the property. This is when having a good idea of your property layout and looking at satellite image for future movement Is critical! Good luck!

You’re right and it can be worked around and hunted still. But don’t make it any less disrespectful

Spencer
Sometimes that stuff is tough. I know down here we've had some droughts. You don't wanna burn during a drought, you don't wanna burn during deer season, you don't wanna burn when turkeys are nesting...

Sometimes you just gotta burn it. It sucks. Not saying it's right. But that's the cards for OP this year. Gotta play them the best you can. It's not hopeless.

Yeah. This is his first time leasing it. Lord knows he knew he was going to clear cut it. We’re following up with the property management but I’m guessing the lease favors stuff like this.

Maybe we’ll get some fundage back. I’m not holding my breathe.

I do however now have to drive out tomorrow am and remove a couple cameras, a feeder and possible a stand or 2

I get that it sucks, sounds like there’s not great communication with the landowner. That’s definitely something that should’ve been mentioned heading into the season. You can still get it done though, just not where you thought!

We had a farmer do that to us years ago, but he was clearing tree lines to increase the size of his crop fields. In the long term, it can be damaging because it reduces the amount of good bedding cover for deer (assuming it's not selective logging, which can really boost the undergrowth and be great), but in the short term, you could take advantage of the new funnels it creates, or even spread seed for some in-woods food plots. Good luck!

Sometimes that stuff is tough. I know down here we've had some droughts. You don't wanna burn during a drought, you don't wanna burn during deer season, you don't wanna burn when turkeys are nesting...

Sometimes you just gotta burn it. It sucks. Not saying it's right. But that's the cards for OP this year. Gotta play them the best you can. It's not hopeless.

True, and a burn can be very benificial, even close to season. That tender growth pops right back up and deer are all over it. Listened to a study about “bow burns” where they burned 30-40 yard square areas. It increased daytime deer activity in the area by 13 times. Better than a food plot and free!

Spencer

Sounds like there ought to be a list of guarantees when leasing land such as

1) do I as lessee have exclusive hunting rights?
2) do I as lessee have right to plant food plots?
3) do I as lessee have guarantee no logging will occur during term of lease?

Is there not a legal framework for this? Been kicking around the idea of leasing as my knees are rejecting all the public land hiking. :(

Aint that bad. They logged our little lease and we killed deer in areas where it still smelled like pine sap and gasoline

My uncle's lease in Alabama got logged while I was there to hunt Thanksgiving week. Talk about feeling dejected. BUT sure enough, we drove his pickup through there 30 minutes after the loggers left for the night and ran deer right out of the work areas. I went back the next day while they were still working, set up across a dirt road from where they were pulling out, and had deer coming out into that space within 45 minutes. Not BIG deer, but deer.

Now y’all talking what I want to hear.

Guess it is what it is.

We had loggers show up on opening day of the regular deer season. The owners were brothers and didn't talk much. We just hunted the rest of the property (180 acres) and although it definitely changed things, hunting remained good every year. Then they sold it...

Lots of timber company leases in south/southwest Arkansas. I had that happen to me on a lease I was in last year. Set trail cameras in the summer along the edge of pines/hardwood creek bottoms. Went to check cards about two weeks before season and the logging company had come in two days after I set the camera and cut pines right up to the tree I had my camera on.

The loggers were respectful of our property. They left the trees standing that we had stands on and made sure to not damage feeders and trail cameras. It was actually pretty comical driving up to the lease. It looked like a bomb went off across an 80 acre field but left oooone spindly little pine tree with a ladder stand strapped to it right square in the middle.

Back