• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mountain Bike for Access?

CSBowHunt

Thinking about a mountain bike set up for accessing some of my spots where there are logging roads through out ..anyone use one ? Watched a bunch of videos on YouTube but figured the more ideas the better so appreciate any input… thanks

I use a MTN bike, have for a couple years. I've hauled 3 doe, 2 buck, a bear and all my trail cameras in and out of the mtn with it. I personally prefer a fat tire. They will roll over everything. I have it setup specifically for hunting and scouting with a rear rack, trailer, accessory bags, a click stand, small medical kit, extra straps, and a bow holder. The best bow holder mounts have been the All Rite Pack Rack Plus, I've tried quite a few and they are hands down my favorite. I also use a 3D camo blind material to conceal it while I'm hunting and keep it stored on the rear rack in a Tethrd Predator pack. Only because I had it laying around, turns out it's pretty useful and works perfect for that. I did buy all of the gear before the pandemic and unfortunately prices of bikes have gone way up. The trailer is a Rambo and the price on that now is almost 3 times what I paid. I would suggest looking for used stuff but even that is pricey too.

PSX_20220110_035549.jpg
PSX_20220110_040024.jpg
PSX_20220110_035424.jpg
PSX_20220110_035823.jpg

Last edited:
I use my fat bike all the time (if it is more than a 20 minute walk to where I want to hunt). Makes hauling out deer nice as well if I can't get a SXS where I am. I wear my pack with water bladder and have a small seat post rack for my stick(s). If I kill something I strap it across the top with the seat post in the body cavity and push it out. We have a lot of logging/oil lease roads/MTB and ATV trails in the area I hunt and I can get pretty far away from roads relatively quickly on the old fatty.

I use a MTN bike, have for a couple years. I've hauled 3 doe, 2 buck, a bear and all my trail cameras in and out of the mtn with it. I personally prefer a fat tire. They will roll over everything. I have it setup specifically for hunting and scouting with a rear rack, trailer, accessory bags, a click stand, small medical kit, extra straps, and a bow holder. The best bow holder mounts have been the All Rite Pack Rack Plus, I've tried quite a few and they are hands down my favorite. I also use a 3D camo blind material to conceal it while I'm hunting and keep it stored on the rear rack in a Tethrd Predator pack. Only because I had it laying around, turns out it's pretty useful and works perfect for that. I did buy all of the gear before the pandemic and unfortunately prices of bikes have gone way up. The trailer is a Rambo and the price on that now is almost 3 times what I paid. I would suggest looking for used stuff but even that is pricey too.

Good looking setup, I should make a couple bags like that for my rack. What area of PA are you in? If you're close-ish I'm always looking for people to ride fatbike's with in different areas (my stay in shape for elk hunting hobby). PM me if you don't want it posted.

I have a mtb on order for pa public land, and I'll be getting an ebike later this year for access through private to remote public.
Nothing will make a bigger difference in my hunting life than getting bikes for next year.
The thought of a 2hr walk being cut down to 20 minutes is mind blowing

I really was hoping the ebike amendment for State Game Lands would pass when it was introduced a few years ago. It passed several preliminary votes and looked like it was on its way. I had all the parts needed to build one, then at the last board meeting before the season in September, they voted it down. If you can afford an ebike I say go for it. They'll save you more than enough time and effort to pay for themselves very quickly.

for mountains where im going up steep in the morning and down in the evening i used a bmx bike with a wiskey rack on the back a coaster break and 2 hand breaks.i would push it up in the morning with all my gear on it.then ride the coaster break back down at night.packed a buck out 2 miles down sykes mt.by putting the chest cavity over the seat and straping the head to the handle bars.and useing the hand breaks to walk himdown.and the kick stand to take a rest.wiskey rack keeps the hide on his rump from rubbing back tires.fits in the back seat of my car and its easy to carry over creaks .had no gears but i only rode it when i was up on the ridge

Last edited:
If e-bikes are legal in your area, check out the Himiway Step-Thru Cruiser. They’re a fraction of the cost of the bikes marketed for hunting and I’ve put mine through the ringer with no issues. Shipping and taxes, I think I have $1,600 in mine.

I wasn’t crazy about the idea of an e-bike. Being a mountain biker and runner, I always thought it was lazy; however, having owned one now, being able to hit a logging road and cover a few miles and be home much quicker has really been nice. They’re not legal everywhere here so I get to use it about 25% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 60005
View attachment 60006
View attachment 60008
View attachment 60007
Now that is badass!!!

I've used a fat tire bike for a couple of years now. Put on my pack, sling my bow and off I go.
I hunt out of a camper alot during season and the bike allows me to just leave the truck in camp.
It cuts down on the walking for an old guy with bad knees and I dont have to leave the truck nearby advertising where I'm hunting.

I use mine for a few different spots. Those spots are long flat walks in. Anything that is going to make me expel too much energy I would rather walk. But for those few spots its really nice to get in there quickly. Mine is certainly not set up for anything special. Pack on back which holds the bow and I then gear tie my platform to the handlebars. Simple and easy but not set up to drag deer out. Luckily where I hunt if you shoot a deer you can drive in to recover the animal but driving/parking on those roads is not allowed for any other reason except retrieving game

I have a FELT 9N or something like that MTB that I traded up for at a local bike shop near where I live and it goes a lot of places but I think its only 2.75" tires I need something more FAT Tire. What do you guys recommend?

Back