• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mountain buck down!

I absolutely love big woods mountain bucks, nothing gets me more excited and hes a damn nice one! It's great to see the long grind pay off, congrats!

He’s a great looking buck and one to be proud of. Sounds like you had a fantastic time and the grind is all part of it. Congrats again

Thanks guys I appreciate it! Now the long 2 week wait begins for our late muzzleloader season to start!

Good job ..... love the snow camo. I scored the morning before rifle season in Michigan wearing snow camo. Had to move a ton and the buck just glanced at me. Early season I would have been busted but snow camo is magic in my book. Well done.

As some of you mite know I mainly track on snow and still hunt in the big woods, this season for whatever reason has been a serious grind, very little deer movement, countless days of seeing absolutely nothing, sure I can sit on some local private farm land and see a dozen deer a night but my true passion is big woods hunting, low deer numbers and poor genetics are the norm but I love the challenge of walking those ridges and climbing mountains. I usually hunt solo, but every season I get to hunt with my buddy for a few days, on snow, he usually does the tracking and I try to get ahead, we’ve had some great hunts together, yesterday was no different. Around lunch time he was tracking and I ran into this nice 8 cruising a ridge, he’s no monster but after 4 weeks of grinding away on low deer numbers I’m pretty happy, a good hunt spent with a great friend, who by the way is a lot tougher than me our drag was 1.2 miles and thank god I had help my back has been horrendous lately, good luck to everybody still out there hammering away and stay safe!!View attachment 57314View attachment 57315

nice buck!

what kind of rifle is that?

That’s a Forbes rifle in 7/08, basically a clone of Melvin Forbes original Ultra Light Arms Rifles, I’m a lefty so it’s a pretty rare gun, 2-7 leupold, and they come with a Timney trigger, I can’t remember what it weighs but something like just under 6 lbs scoped, I’m a gun nut and love custom lightweight mountain rifles. If your into ultra light stuff Melvin Forbes is the king with rifles, I’ve owned a couple of his rifles and spoke to him on the phone a few times, check them out, Ultra Light Arms.

nice, i thought it looked like an ultra light....my cousin that passed helped make their actions as a contract machinist

Yea sounds about right, they must have been good too because Melvin is a perfectionist, zero cut corners with him!

Great Buck and congrats on getting it done with your friend.
I’ve also had a tough season and glad you can head into the winter with some good stories now.
Enjoy your posts, well done.

That’s a Forbes rifle in 7/08, basically a clone of Melvin Forbes original Ultra Light Arms Rifles, I’m a lefty so it’s a pretty rare gun, 2-7 leupold, and they come with a Timney trigger, I can’t remember what it weighs but something like just under 6 lbs scoped, I’m a gun nut and love custom lightweight mountain rifles. If your into ultra light stuff Melvin Forbes is the king with rifles, I’ve owned a couple of his rifles and spoke to him on the phone a few times, check them out, Ultra Light Arms.

I was gonna say - you should have that rifle looked at.
The bolt handle is on the wrong side... :tonguewink:

Congratulations! Great mountain buck and nothing beats that.

Back