• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Moving to southern Wisconsin... HELP!!!

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
Okay so I’ve lived in the Deep South my entire life. Now, it looks like I’ll be moving to southern Wisconsin in January/February. Any of you from the great white north want to offer advice?

First, anyone hunt near/around Stoughton? If so, what’s it like? Are the wildlife areas and parks decent for bow hunting?

Second, how the heck do you layer kids for the cold temps? Any clothing recommendations?

Third, what do I need to know that I won’t think to ask about?

Okay so I’ve lived in the Deep South my entire life. Now, it looks like I’ll be moving to southern Wisconsin in January/February. Any of you from the great white north want to offer advice?

First, anyone hunt near/around Stoughton? If so, what’s it like? Are the wildlife areas and parks decent for bow hunting?

Second, how the heck do you layer kids for the cold temps? Any clothing recommendations?

Third, what do I need to know that I won’t think to ask about?

Welcome! I never hunted around stoughton but I used to work for some farms over there. Lots of deer over there. As far as layering, shirt, sweatshirt, outer layer should cover it. If you don’t end up til feb, that’s the last cold month usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to scare you but usually the coldest part of the year in Wisconsin is from mid January to mid February.

Layering would be like any where. Nice long johns/and then jeans for normal days (as long as you're not outside for extended times). A t-shirt, sweatshirt, and then a winter jacket should be fine. Typical Daily highs will be below freezing but can be any where from 0-40°F.

Dependent on your kids' ages schools may require snow pants and boots.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think of that you may overlook would be where the bus stop is for your kids. If your house is in the country, some people build or buy small playhouses to keep your kids out of the winter wind, snow, etc. Otherwise, it should be similar to any other place.

My wife and I own a coffee shop/hair salon in Stoughton. So I’m happy to help with whatever you need. I live over in Lake Mills so I don’t hunt a ton over near Stoughton.

Plenty of public ground around, but it’s pretty populated with Madison right down the road. Bad Fish creek area has always looked great on a map but I’ve never been over there.

If you don’t have OnX and don’t want to pay for it, download the Wild Wisconsin app from the Wisconsin DNR. That’ll show you all of the public ground in the state.

Laying will be important, especially if you’re making tracks back into thick public. But into late months, you’ll want a puffy jacket or parka.

Welcome to Wisconsin and the Midwest! We’re happy to have ya! Keep the questions coming!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Two questions:
1) what are your recommended long Johns? Where I currently live, the highs are rarely lower than 60, so I don’t even own any.
2) recommended snow boot brands/kind for my wife and I?

My wife and I own a coffee shop/hair salon in Stoughton. So I’m happy to help with whatever you need. I live over in Lake Mills so I don’t hunt a ton over near Stoughton.

Plenty of public ground around, but it’s pretty populated with Madison right down the road. Bad Fish creek area has always looked great on a map but I’ve never been over there.

If you don’t have OnX and don’t want to pay for it, download the Wild Wisconsin app from the Wisconsin DNR. That’ll show you all of the public ground in the state.

Laying will be important, especially if you’re making tracks back into thick public. But into late months, you’ll want a puffy jacket or parka.

Welcome to Wisconsin and the Midwest! We’re happy to have ya! Keep the questions coming!

No way! We saw your place while visiting and thought, “what a neat combo!” I look forward to stopping in!

We’re looking at homes right now. Is lake mills a far drive? Stoughton seems pretty expensive compared to where we currently live.

Welcome! I cant help with the hunting areas besides seconding the OnX or Hunt Wild WI app because I am in SE WI. AS far as clothing layering is very important. I prefer merino wool. Important to avoid cotton because it is useless if it gets a bit damp. Wool or synthetics are best. Also avoid sweating as much as possible. Most of us will walk out in minimal layers and put the rest on in the tree or at the base of the tree.

No way! We saw your place while visiting and thought, “what a neat combo!” I look forward to stopping in!

We’re looking at homes right now. Is lake mills a far drive? Stoughton seems pretty expensive compared to where we currently live.
Dane county will inevitably be expensive but the housing market is pretty crazy around here. We bought our house 2 years ago and it was only on the market for 2 days. And not much has changed since then. Lake Mills is a bit of a jaunt at around 35 min, but it’s a nice drive with all backroads.

Merino wool baselayers I like first lite and the black ovis are good. Then I run a heavy fleece top and bottom. Then the outer layer soft shell first lite. That gets me up to the worst of it. In the real bad stuff it’s carhardt bibs and heavy jacket with pack boots. Wear one big thick wool sock don’t layer socks. Get a good neck gaiter as well.

Start buying ice fishing gear. There’s great fishing to be had.

For long johns I like Cabela's ECWCS. Otherwise I use under armour 2.0 or 3.0

Welcome to Wisconsin. I live north of there a ways, great hunting here. I go with first lite or minus 33 merino base layer, surplus waffle fleece second layer with a good pant and jacket over that. I only use outer layers with windstopper once it gets cold. Later in the season nothing compares to Western mountaineering puffy pants and jacket under Sitka stratus pants and fanatic jacket.

Back