• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

MR Treehouse 28 or Popup 28

Mbm2191

Seems like my pack is my weakest link at this point. I used my old pack I used hunting for years before I got into saddle hunting. Mind you I never did the stand game. I was strictly hunting from the ground when on public and on private we have box blinds and ladder stands. But in the past 3 years I'm hunting more and more on public land and that's how I ended up going with a saddle.

Screenshot_20220928-153807_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220928-153750_Chrome.jpg

This is my pack. I used that with the predator XL pack as a compression panel on the front. It was ok at best. Was happy how it sat, felt, etc. I also was kind of limited in strapping sticks to it because it was kind of awkward. Granted I probably would be better off with a regular predator but the xl is what I have for now.

I'm doing tons of research and tons of reading and I'm drawn to these two packs to be the replacement.

I'm curious if anyone uses either one? How they like it or don't? How they pack it with all your gear? Pictures would be great if possible.

I also am not opposed to going another route if you have any suggestion. Even milsurp to save some money too.

I thank you all for any input you give.

Last edited:
I replaced an MR PU 18 (my son commandeered it) with an Alps Outdoors Elite 1800. The Alps 1800 has a lot more room than the MR PU 18. The bag is also easily removable and the frame can be used alone to haul meat and the frame is the same for the 1800 and the 3800 (you can buy just the bag to switch between them with the single frame).

The treehouse 28 sucks. It’s got a furry material over the noisiest nylon. The bottom of the pack is curved which is annoying you set it down and it does sit there it flops over. I was not a fan.

I have a pop up 28 and love it. Only pack I've seen that could maybe rival it for whitetail is the new First lite Transfer pack... though I live in MN where we can't quarter the deer and leave the carcass... if I could quarter it out, I'd stick to my MR 28... doesn't look like the FL one is made for that.... I don't plan on moving on from the popup 28 anytime soon as I could use that money elsewhere.

I was just checking out the transfer pack. Does look like a viable option but, I'm just very torn. It's tough to spend big money on something like that and not know if it's what I like or need

I bought a Popup 38 and I love that pack. It is excellent. I do think I’m gonna take the bag completely off and get the back strap for it with a couple organizer pouches though

I’ve tried a lot of packs and when I finally gave in and tried the pop up 28 I stopped looking. I’ve tried the minimalist route for a long time but the pop up 28 just works for the way I hunt and now I won’t need to switch packs mid year when it gets colder and I need to carry more.

I probably wouldn’t call it the ‘gold standard’, it just is very versatile and is the best ‘do it all’ pack I’ve found. This also means that it’s naturally not as good as some other packs in some categories. So it all depends what is most important to you. Its not the lightest, it’s not the best meat hauler, it’s not the quietest, but it does most things well (and most other packs severely lack in one area or another).

I have a pop up 28 in the mail to my house, so I’m biased but consider that the treehouse has better access to the main compartment and some more organization options. Plus it has more structure than the PU which is a plus to some buyers. If I solely stand hunted private ground, it would have been a tougher choice

Is the pop up like the gold standard nowadays for the saddle game?

In any situation where you would need a frame and a load shelf for packing gear and/or meat, I would say yes. If you don't need that it's overkill a much smaller/lighter pack should do you fine.

Is the pop up like the gold standard nowadays for the saddle game?
It all depends on how you hunt. I haul my deer out whole in a cart so I do not have a frame like the popup. I have the treehouse 38 and really like the way the straps on the back hold my platform and the straps on the bottom hold my onestick. Hunting in temps in the teens I mainly carry layers of clothes in my pack. Finding the right pack is a pain in the A$$.

I was just checking out the transfer pack. Does look like a viable option but, I'm just very torn. It's tough to spend big money on something like that and not know if it's what I like or need
to me.. .depends what you do.. the transfer pack looks awesome.. if I were to buy new.. I'd probably go with that.... but i don't carry meat out ever.. if you do, some sort of frame pack would be better.. the pop-ups are fantastic

I have a 38, it’s a great pack.
There are typically comments on here about it’s profile in a tree, it’s really not bad, a 38L pack isn’t much more than a standard backpack.
I have the backstrap primarily for carrying a lightweight stand / “ platform w a seat”, in early season but once you add a stuff sack /knee pads/ mole pouches- the regular bag set up starts to make more sense.
The backstrap is smaller in a tree but it’s more the frame/ belt than the bag itself.

Seems like my pack is my weakest link at this point. I used my old pack I used hunting for years before I got into saddle hunting. Mind you I never did the stand game. I was strictly hunting from the ground when on public and on private we have box blinds and ladder stands. But in the past 3 years I'm hunting more and more on public land and that's how I ended up going with a saddle.

View attachment 72469View attachment 72470

This is my pack. I used that with the predator XL pack as a compression panel on the front. It was ok at best. Was happy how it sat, felt, etc. I also was kind of limited in strapping sticks to it because it was kind of awkward. Granted I probably would be better off with a regular predator but the xl is what I have for now.

I'm doing tons of research and tons of reading and I'm drawn to these two packs to be the replacement.

I'm curious if anyone uses either one? How they like it or don't? How they pack it with all your gear? Pictures would be great if possible.

I also am not opposed to going another route if you have any suggestion. Even milsurp to save some money too.

I thank you all for any input you give.

Those two packs are designed for different things. If you intend to pack out heavy loads (40#+) of boned out meat then the PU is the pack for you.

If you intend to carry layers to your tree and back and either drag a deer or return to your truck for a frame pack then the treehouse might be more user friendly.

I have a few MR frame packs, they work great for their intended use but I prefer packs like the MR treehouse or Sitka tool bucket for general every day whitetail hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back