• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy aerolite climbing sticks

JWS

Just got these about a week ago and figured I'd throw a quick review up here since I couldn't find much on the web for reviews. I've been using the muddy 20"steps for years and like them but wanted to try out longer sticks to cut some time off my set up. This is my first year hunting out of the saddle and I've definitely seen an increased set up time since changing over vs fixed stands. These are basically a knock off of the lone wolf sticks with a few improvements from what I can see. Utilize the versa button, pivoting tree cleat, and the same strap system as lone wolf. The improvements I see are the rubberized coating they use which feels somewhat like a rhino liner and folding steps on both sides. The sticks stack together super tight due to the coating on them - almost a little too tight out of the box. As I use them more it's getting a little easier but after pushing them together I can still pick them up with no strap and they don't come apart. I struggled a little with the buckle system in the dark and found it to be noisy so I've already experimented with the rope mod and decided I like that way better. All of the step bushings and the versa button are orange which I'm not crazy about and the steps come off the side instead of the top like the original muddy sticks so you don't have as much clearance to the tree for your boot but other than that I like these a lot. The original muddy sticks stack with these as well so I've been packing three of these and 1 of the originals out plus a 2 step etrier to get to hunting height. Best price I found was on Eders.com for $111 + shipping which brought the price to around $125. Would have loved to go with American made lone wolf but the single step is a deal breaker for me and I don't have the time, tools, or desire to fabricate steps like I've seen some guys do out of aluminum flat stock.

Thanks for reviewing these. I have some of the old ones I've used for a while, but I had been considering getting these. I Don't like that button Either. I prefer the roPe cleat that is on the ones I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Great review. What are your thoughts on the swiveling V bracket? Looking back was the fixed ones on the old sticks really a down fall, or is this just marketing to copy the LW?

Thanks Ken. I've heard/read the swivel bracket on the cleats helps them bite in better than a fixed but I don't have a fixed set to compare to. My old 20" Muddys swivel as well. I will say that these things bite in so well I've had to bump them to get them off the tree after the strap is released.

JWS said:
Thanks Ken. I've heard/read the swivel bracket on the cleats helps them bite in better than a fixed but I don't have a fixed set to compare to. My old 20" Muddys swivel as well. I will say that these things bite in so well I've had to bump them to get them off the tree after the strap is released.

My bad I misunderstood your post. I got the impression the old sticks were fixed position and new ones swiveled. Reason I asked is i have some Helium sticks that are fixed bracket and was thinking about modifying them to swivel. Id hate to potentially mess them up (as mods sometimes don't go as planned) if there really isn't a benefit.

Back