• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

muddy areo lite sticks using rope question

Mike Nutto

I'm sure this has been asked before. The aero lites come with buckle straps. I'm interested in changing them to rope. Now my questions , are what size rope it should be 11mm , 9/16 and does this work with the muddy button or are you guys changing them to the versa button from lone wolf? The buckle straps are very clumsy to you going up the tree not to mention the weight. So I'm just interested in finding out what you guys are doing.

would like to know as well but i did a test just using harbor freight rope and the button worked fine- i would say that rope is 7 - 8 mm - sticks did not slip at all - i just did not really trust the rope strength. used the stock button even though it has a taper built in but when putting a hlf hitch on it after passing rope behind the other it did not move - i just havent ordered any rope because i was going to get it spliced on one end and that does add a little cost x3. the straps dont really fit on a decent size tree either so dont cut it too short when you do. may just get some stronger 3 strand rope and learn how to splice it myself. I like the aerolites though. get about 22 feet with a aider and they feel solid - 10 lbs aint terrible. spurs still way to go though

would like to know as well but i did a test just using harbor freight rope and the button worked fine- i would say that rope is 7 - 8 mm - sticks did not slip at all - i just did not really trust the rope strength. used the stock button even though it has a taper built in but when putting a hlf hitch on it after passing rope behind the other it did not move - i just havent ordered any rope because i was going to get it spliced on one end and that does add a little cost x3. the straps dont really fit on a decent size tree either so dont cut it too short when you do. may just get some stronger 3 strand rope and learn how to splice it myself. I like the aerolites though. get about 22 feet with a aider and they feel solid - 10 lbs aint terrible. spurs still way to go though
These are new to me , I don't like monster trees for saddle hunting. I was hoping to get some idea on the ropes being used. I see predator rope but what is the size. 7 to 8 mm sounds small. I could be wrong and some guys use amsteel . Need some education on this .

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'm using 1/4 double braided rope I bought on eBay. I remember it being 2400lb breaking strength. Easy to splice. Cheap too. Here's a link to a similar rope with claimed strength of 2160lb in 1/4". There's a ton of info, guides, and youtube videos out there on splicing double braid. After some practice, it now takes me about 10 minutes to splice a simple double braid.

1/4 Double Braided Rope - Olive

When I first converted my Helium sticks to a DIY versa button and rope, I used 8mm accessory cord. IIRC, it was rated for ~2100 pounds. Seemed to work fine if you don't mind tying/untying knots. I have since changed over to 1/4" Amsteel Blue whoopie slings and haven't looked back.

When I first converted my Helium sticks to a DIY versa button and rope, I used 8mm accessory cord. IIRC, it was rated for ~2100 pounds. Seemed to work fine if you don't mind tying/untying knots. I have since changed over to 1/4" Amsteel Blue whoopie slings and haven't looked back.
Ok so where did you get the Amsteel , was it wespur and did they splice it for you ? How many feet are you using , and how are you transporting them? Im sorry Im a bit behind on the lingo as to the whoopie sling. does the amsteel do the same half hitch guys are using on the 8 mm?

Last edited:
I bought my Amsteel Blue direct from: http://www.amsteelblue.com/
Perhaps not the cheapest source but they had it in black (kind of a dark gray), which is what I was after and I was sure that I was getting authentic Amsteel Blue and not a cheap knock-off from China.

I spliced on a fixed loop to go over versa button and generally followed these instructions: http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents...C2_Whoopie_Sling_AmSteel_AmSteel-Blue_WEB.pdf
I'm a novice when it comes to splicing but it's pretty easy to do if you carefully follow the instructions. If you're reluctant to do this yourself, I believe you can pay the vendor to do so.

Amsteel Blue is generally not regarded to be a good rope for knot tying but great for splicing and whoopie slings. Some guys here on Saddlehunter do tie knots in it but I have no experience in that area. Try doing some searching in this forum.

I bought my Amsteel Blue direct from: http://www.amsteelblue.com/
Perhaps not the cheapest source but they had it in black (kind of a dark gray), which is what I was after and I was sure that I was getting authentic Amsteel Blue and not a cheap knock-off from China.

I spliced on a fixed loop to go over versa button and generally followed these instructions: http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/Splice Instructions/12Strand_C2_Whoopie_Sling_AmSteel_AmSteel-Blue_WEB.pdf
I'm a novice when it comes to splicing but it's pretty easy to do if you carefully follow the instructions. If you're reluctant to do this yourself, I believe you can pay the vendor to do so.

Amsteel Blue is generally not regarded to be a good rope for knot tying but great for splicing and whoopie slings. Some guys here on Saddlehunter do tie knots in it but I have no experience in that area. Try doing some searching in this forum.
Thank you for the info , I'm not looking to do knots , interested in slicing , may even buy the splice kit.
Yes I do need to do more research , as I've heard of the Whoopie sling. Yet no idea what it is , I've watch dyi hunter do the ropes on his you tube , I think he girth hitches the climbing stick as he goes up. I'm interested in saving weight and not having to mess w buckles. They take to much time. I want to get in and go up the tree without much noise and be set to hunt.

Hi Mike,
If you're looking for a buckle and knot free attachment system for your sticks, research the whoopie sling. Takes a little getting used to but works real slick. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Dave

Back