• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Must have crossbow features vs fluff

ThereWillBeSpuds

Hey all, I am exploring the idea of a crossbow, both for myself and for a cousin of mine who is 11 years old. Im wondering what features your crossbows have that you wouldnt like to live without. I am not particularly obsessed with speed, normal compound bow speeds would be fine with me. Seems to me that light and compact would be top of the list. I am considering a Hickory Creek Mini, because of course I am, but I am wondering if any of yall have used something else that you think is better because of some specific feature.

PS: does anyone shoot a crossbow without a scope? Is there a crossbow equivalent of a pin sight or iron sights on a rifle? All the crossbows I see in media have a scope.

#1 thing on my list would be weight. I much prefer my compound to my xbow because of the huge weight difference, and the compound is physically much larger. #2 would maybe be a simple, effortless cocking mechanism. It's like power windows on a car, not needed but super nice to have.

A crank to cock it is very nice. Light weight MUST BE NICE, but I wouldn’t know. Mine is old, 2007 ish. A friend had one with the backwards facing limbs and he sold it after 2 hunts because he said he kept hitting the tree with the limbs when he fired it. That might be an advantage to the Hickory Creek. I know that EZ-V has a crossbow sight but I haven’t used it. I have an EZ-V for my compound and I do well with it at known distance but I’m not confident YET to hunt with it.

I like my compound but don’t have enough time to shoot it and be proficient and hold my sh** together when the moment of truth comes… I missed a 150+ this year with it and a 140ish deer 4 years ago.. from that point on I started dabbling in crossbows.

Excalibur micro 335 bomb proof kinda compact frame just too wide. I have saddle hunted with it… medium weight my dad currently uses it.

Hickory creek mini awesome light. Made for the saddle. Little awkward to carry. Awkward to shoulder and shoot opposite way if in a hang on. Sold and regret it.

This year I used killer instinct fatalx, small compact and fast. Limbs broke, dealer replaced. Killed deer with it.

I have determined for me I need an overall bow that’s 27-32 inch to be small and comfortable to shoot. Ravin r26 felt way to compact. All crossbows seem awkward to carry when cocked and keeping your extremities out of the danger zone.

If I can find a light weight compact bow that Carry’s better than all listed above I would buy in a second… speed isn’t a huge concern.. I’d take 280-350 fps if it reduced weight and size.

That being said I imagine next year I’ll be hunting with a hickory creek mini and the fatalx will be back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering a Mission Sub 1. Anyone have thoughts on it as a saddle bow or in general?

Considering a Mission Sub 1. Anyone have thoughts on it as a saddle bow or in general?

I handled one at our local bow shop. Nice seemed kinda heavy. A lot narrower options out there… in the saddle having something short a2a really helps with positioning. Easy to get close to a tree with a limb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, I am exploring the idea of a crossbow, both for myself and for a cousin of mine who is 11 years old. Im wondering what features your crossbows have that you wouldnt like to live without. I am not particularly obsessed with speed, normal compound bow speeds would be fine with me. Seems to me that light and compact would be top of the list. I am considering a Hickory Creek Mini, because of course I am, but I am wondering if any of yall have used something else that you think is better because of some specific feature.

PS: does anyone shoot a crossbow without a scope? Is there a crossbow equivalent of a pin sight or iron sights on a rifle? All the crossbows I see in media have a scope.
I have a Centerpoint sniper 370. Its on the cheaper end of the crossbows but I haven't had any issues with it. Shoots fast and accurate. definitely not a compact bow. For a site I run a red dot on mine and it works perfect out to 30 yards.

One thing I thought of that really appreciate my Tenpoint has is a quiver that is mounted parallel to the rail. My father-in-law has a Tenpoint that is mounted perpendicular and mine is much more compact and easy to carry through the woods.

I got a mini a couple weeks ago. I have not shot it alot and haven't shot broadhead yet. My previous x bow was a recurve style.
My first impressions of the mini are;
Easy to carry.
It has a threaded hole in the front grip, great for shooting in a ground blind, just attach a shooting stick.
Light weight.
Quite for a x bow.
Easy to work on, change bow weight from 100 to 150 Lbs. Mine is set at 125.
Only thing I may do is paint the safety lever.

So here are my crossbow must haves:

- Simplicity: I value Excalibur’s micro and assassins models because the have the simplicity factor to go along with being their shortest recurves.

- Hand Crank: I didn’t view this as such a benefit until I used it.

- Decocking mechanism: if you don’t have this, you’ll need a decocking arrow or keep a target in your vehicle for your hunts.

I got a mini a couple weeks ago. I have not shot it alot and haven't shot broadhead yet. My previous x bow was a recurve style.
My first impressions of the mini are;
Easy to carry.
It has a threaded hole in the front grip, great for shooting in a ground blind, just attach a shooting stick.
Light weight.
Quite for a x bow.
Easy to work on, change bow weight from 100 to 150 Lbs. Mine is set at 125.
Only thing I may do is paint the safety lever.
x2 on this. my main xbow must have was to be able to work on it myself. Restring it (no press required), change poundage/speed oh and also to be able to cock and decock by hand. All this = hickory creek mini. saw too many destrung xbows in my local archery shop waiting to be restrung by a pro while the poor hunters were without weapons during their archery season.

I have the Excalibur TD Assassin 400. I've yet to kill a deer with it but that's because I didn't want to risk wounding a deer that I thought was over 50 yards away...didn't have my rangefinder. Later I found that it was 33 yards away....well within range. As far as manuvering around a tree...not to difficult. Just move slow. What I really love about the excalibur series is that it is bomb proof and you can change the string in the field. I almost cut my string in half one day...went back to the truck and 30 minutes later I was back at the stand with a new string on the bow. That's including the 300 yard walk to my truck and back as well as doing the restringing process.

If you're going to stalk at all with it, or just hunt and walk, the HC is a huge advantage both on weight and the vertical limbs. SO much easier to get through the tight beach whips and such. Decocker of some sorts is a must for me, I like being able to uncock the mini a lot. Easy to recock, especially in a stand(or saddle)

I do have 2 crossbows. One is a Barnett and the other is a Parker Thunderhawk . But if I were going toget a crossbow it would be a Hickory Creek Mini. I shot them and they are awesome. I really like Excalibur crossbows but I would get the Mini.

You won't regret the HC Mini. I just sold mine a few weeks ago to $$$ some other things I wanted but it was pure pleasure to shoot, lightweight and did not feel really like a crossbow at all. I just really love my vertical bows more and it was collecting dust. The first and last time I ever hunted with it was last spring and I bagged a nice Gobbler with it the first day I went out. It blew right through the gobbler from base of his tail feathers right out above his beard with the standard weight 23" arrow with a 100gr. NAP Spitfire Expandable BH. That turkey flap-ran for 30yards and settled right out flat and died. The other Tom he was with pecked and "rode" on him for 45 minutes after he succumbed to my broadhead. If you want a crossbow, get the HC Mini IMHO.

For getting through the bush, I think a smaller bow helps. I have an Excal Micro and its size is way better than the full sized bows that I used before.

The shorter limbs are also better for saddle hunting to give you clearance from the tree.

I’ve had a Sub 1 for 3 years. The accuracy they claim is ...accurate. It is heavy but very stable. I’ve never shot it out of a saddle but there is no reason it wouldn’t work. Killed a doe with it out a lock on stand.

I also have a HC Mini that I have never shot out of a saddle. I did kill a doe with it out of a hammock seat on the ground.

Maybe less to worry about out of the saddle with the Mini but I would not hesitate to take the Sub 1 to the air if I needed.

I’ve had a Sub 1 for 3 years. The accuracy they claim is ...accurate. It is heavy but very stable. I’ve never shot it out of a saddle but there is no reason it wouldn’t work. Killed a doe with it out a lock on stand.

I also have a HC Mini that I have never shot out of a saddle. I did kill a doe with it out of a hammock seat on the ground.

Maybe less to worry about out of the saddle with the Mini but I would not hesitate to take the Sub 1 to the air if I needed.
Thanks. I bought a Sub1 lite. Very impressed so far. Extremely accurate. It is heavier than I expected but it seems very well constructed. Anxious to it out on a deer this far. Good luck with ur HC!

Another vote for Excal micro.

One thing on the decocking system: after a hunt last season pulled trigger while using the cocking rope to let it down. Like this. So had right hand pulling trigger and left holding the rope, but that sudden application of force caused the plastic handle in my left hand to violently dissassemble. Essentially dry fired the xbow. The rope slapped my right hand thumb hard enough that I couldn't really hold a fork steady to eat lunch. The cocking ropes should be considered throwaway after a couple seasons. Also purchased a small discharge target to avoid this in the future.

Last edited:
Back