• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Must Have Duck Hunting Gear

BackSpasm

SH Member
I killed my bucks this year and with the exception of freezer queens I am hanging it up unexpectedly early for a change. That means I'm looking to bust a few quack daddy's for a change. I have some places to hunt them, but I am wondering for you DIY duck guys what your basic kit includes. A few decoys? Robo ducks? Calls? Chokes? Waders? Can I get a basic list of what actually matters and what is a waste of my time if I wanna just kill some ducks?

Who else hunts ducks other than @Nutterbuster ?

I have lots of interest in wood ducks but have some flooded corn access for the big guys too.

As long as your gun patterns well you don’t need the fancy chokes they try to market, the ones that come with your gun work fine. When by myself I use 18 decoys, half of those I got for cheap on craigslist. Waders are a necessity for me, I’m using the cabelas brand waders this year and so far they’re working well. Don’t worry about mojos or any kind of motion decoy, a jerk string works just as well and doesn’t flare as many birds. In my blind bag I always keep an extra choke, some gun oil, pair of dry socks, and an extra headlight.

I killed my bucks this year and with the exception of freezer queens I am hanging it up unexpectedly early for a change. That means I'm looking to bust a few quack daddy's for a change. I have some places to hunt them, but I am wondering for you DIY duck guys what your basic kit includes. A few decoys? Robo ducks? Calls? Chokes? Waders? Can I get a basic list of what actually matters and what is a waste of my time if I wanna just kill some ducks?

I have lots of interest in wood ducks but have some flooded corn access for the big guys too.
In order, you need

A shotgun (standard IC or mod choke is fine)
Waders
Decoys
Jerk rig
Call
Spinner/other junk

If you can't walk in then you need a boat. I started killing ducks with a single shot 20 gage and rubber boots. Decoys and calls are fun and can be useful, but they complicate things.

In order, you need

A shotgun (standard IC or mod choke is fine)
Waders
Decoys
Jerk rig
Call
Spinner/other junk

If you can't walk in then you need a boat. I started killing ducks with a single shot 20 gage and rubber boots. Decoys and calls are fun and can be useful, but they complicate things.
What are you using for a jerk string? Paracord? Is that a stupid question? When I have used them in the past its already been set up. Im good on the 4 of the first 5.

These guys are leading you down the wrong road. First and foremost, in my blind gear, is my coffee thermos and some TP! I pack the coffee before my shotgun gets packed. I've even upgraded this year so I can make more coffee while hunting. I don't do spinners anymore just a jerk rig. A warm coat is a must. I run 5-6 dozen decoys buy most times I find that many totally unnecessary. I just like decoys I guess. And cheap decoys at that.

What are you using for a jerk string? Paracord? Is that a stupid question? When I have used them in the past its already been set up. Im good on the 4 of the first 5.
Bank line for jerk strings is what I use.

As long as your gun patterns well you don’t need the fancy chokes they try to market, the ones that come with your gun work fine. When by myself I use 18 decoys, half of those I got for cheap on craigslist. Waders are a necessity for me, I’m using the cabelas brand waders this year and so far they’re working well. Don’t worry about mojos or any kind of motion decoy, a jerk string works just as well and doesn’t flare as many birds. In my blind bag I always keep an extra choke, some gun oil, pair of dry socks, and an extra headlight.
I totally shoot an aftermarket choke. OK, so I lost the factory one and needed to replace it. Don't judge.

I totally shoot an aftermarket choke. OK, so I lost the factory one and needed to replace it. Don't judge.
I'm going to get an aftermarket choke set for one reason. Extended chokes are toolless.

I usually shoot IC over decoys because I can't hit birds past 30 yards anyway. BUT, sometimes I'll jump or float shoot. Those birds are easy to hit because they're flying away, but you sometimes need to reach out to 40-50. I just wanna be able to quickly unscrew the IC and pop in a mod for a little extra smackdown when the flight dies down and I wanna stalk the edges of the tupelos.

I'm going to get an aftermarket choke set for one reason. Extended chokes are toolless.

I usually shoot IC over decoys because I can't hit birds past 30 yards anyway. BUT, sometimes I'll jump or float shoot. Those birds are easy to hit because they're flying away, but you sometimes need to reach out to 40-50. I just wanna be able to quickly unscrew the IC and pop in a mod for a little extra smackdown when the flight dies down and I wanna stalk the edges of the tupelos.
I have a prairie storm "early season" it's between an IC and a Mod for my shotgun. I like it a lot.

For weekend warriors like myself:

Shotgun
Dozen decoys
Waders
Calls

A couple things I’ve learned that have helped me a lot:
Just because you have a call doesn’t mean you need to blow the dang thing. Sometimes a quack and some decoy movement is all you need.
Jerk line, use high strength braid on an old bait casting reel. It’s super compact and doesn’t tangle easily

If you can't wade a spot you will need some way to retrieve birds. You'll need a boat, kayak, or canoe. If you don't have a dog you can use a spinning rod with a top water bait. I'd recommend the largest zara spook I could find. As a last resort, or maybe a first, take an over zealous friend and promise him a fine pilsner for every duck he swims out and gets.

For weekend warriors like myself:

Shotgun
Dozen decoys
Waders
Calls

A couple things I’ve learned that have helped me a lot:
Just because you have a call doesn’t mean you need to blow the dang thing. Sometimes a quack and some decoy movement is all you need.
Jerk line, use high strength braid on an old bait casting reel. It’s super compact and doesn’t tangle easily
What's the fun in having stuff not tangled up. If I went tangle free my stories wouldn't be near as good! Lol

I'll say this on mojos. I was a skeptical. Everybody said they were gimmicks or that they didn't work the way they used to or they flared pressured birds.

I started really using them in teal season and they definitely work for teal and woodies. I wouldn't use one without a remote though. They seem to be money when it's super early and foggy, and get less effective every minute the sun is up.

I like wobblers and spinners because wood ducks are quick and sneaky. I barely call unless they're on the water, because of you're calling and running a jerk you may not have time to drop that, grab the gun, and shoot before they NOPE outta there.
As a last resort, or maybe a first, take an over zealous friend and promise him a fine pilsner for every duck he swims out and gets.
You hunt round alabammer, friendo?

At bare minimum, you need a shotgun (Remington 870 12 gauge is a great starter gun and what I still shoot today), non-lead shot shells (steel #2's and 3's are common and readily available), a pair of waterproof boots, and a backpack. With that gear, you can hunt dry corn/grain fields and jump-shoot wood ducks along creeks and ponds.
If you want to step up to hunting mallards over flooded corn fields, add a pair of insulated chest waders, 6-12 decoys (commercially made or DIY) and a bag of some kind to carry them, and a basic mallard hen duck call--that'll get you in the game. You can build your own blind/hide-out with sticks and brush, and as long as you're not hunting near 4+ feet of water, you don't need a boat to retrieve your fallen ducks.
From there, things can get much more complex (and expensive).

I'll say this on mojos. I was a skeptical. Everybody said they were gimmicks or that they didn't work the way they used to or they flared pressured birds.

I started really using them in teal season and they definitely work for teal and woodies. I wouldn't use one without a remote though. They seem to be money when it's super early and foggy, and get less effective every minute the sun is up.

I like wobblers and spinners because wood ducks are quick and sneaky. I barely call unless they're on the water, because of you're calling and running a jerk you may not have time to drop that, grab the gun, and shoot before they NOPE outta there.

You hunt round alabammer, friendo?
I'm not from alerbammer and kinda throw up in my mouth when I hear roll tide.

I used to run spinners and had good success with them. I just quit using them for some unknown reason.

As others have said before you will be better off calling less. Try to hunt where they want to land and you do not have to call. Don't worry about spinners. If they are flying overhead and out of range or you cant shoot, don't move and don't look up. If you want some extended screw in chokes get the carlsons delta water fowl 3 pack that comes with a close med and long range for around $100

No judgment here I HAVE a few aftermarket chokes but I never bought one. Buddies have given me a few and the rest were Christmas presents. Can’t bring myself to spend that much money on a choke that may not pattern well out of my gun

Back