• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My 2022 Gun Buck

peteherbst

After a successful opening weekend at Fort McCoy, my freezer was still hungry. Messaging a buddy who has 120 acres close to my house, I got permission to hunt his property for the rest of the season. This property is made up of mostly agriculture fields, with a six acre square patch of woods on north side.

With family obligations at home taking priority, the rest of my season would consist of two more hunts. The first was an evening hunt which I sat in the owners elevated box blind. This blind is in the far corner of the property, butting up to two other pieces of property that have ag fields and some low lying cattail and long grass areas. The sit comes and goes without as single deer sighting leaving hopes low.

The next hunt was a morning hunt. My dad came with, and I sent him to the elevated box blind, as I had a tree saddle and climbing sticks to get me elevated in the small six acre wood lot. We got out early to get set up, and I had figured a hickory tree with shag bark was my best bet for seeing as much as I could. If you've ever set up or attempted to set up in a hickory tree with shag bark, you know this wasn't ideal. And if you've never set up in one of these trees, identify them and make a mental note.

However, it was another short hunt. Just a few short minutes after shooting time, a handful of does peak around the corner of the woods in the cut corn field. I had enough time to pick my gun up and slowly look over their size. Another deer comes into my view, and I can see it's a small buck. Being the last hunt of my gun season, I took my shot at 175 yards and dropped him in his tracks. The freezer will hopefully be satisfied with my efforts this year.

D3528F4E-AA6F-4B3E-804D-3E50B66A9E2B.jpeg

Back