• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My attempt of phantom clone

Sziggy2.0

I have made two phantom clones. In the process I have:
Destroyed on singer 4452
Bought a sailrite clone
Bought all manner of webbing, thread, derlin balls, needles, binder clips, and various other sewing paraphernalia.
Spent closer to $800 (or more) more than I want to calculate.
I also learned ALOT. Gained valuable experience, began a new chapter of my self taught DIY experience. I hope to have the satisfaction of harvesting a deer from one of my DIY saddles.
These are pretty comfortable but I plan on building more with slightly different dimensions and shape.
I have not actually seen a phantom in person but I am sure it is much higher quality and WAY cheaper than what I have spent to get mine. If anybody is thinking of doing this to get their own "phantom" just buy one from tethrd, it will be of superior quality and less expensive. But DIY isn't usually about saving money, at least it isn't for me. There are alot of guys (and gals I'm sure), on here that have contributed on here. Especially @always89, his threads motivated me. And thanks to the Tethrd guys for being some of the first DIY guys on here and for encouraging it to continue.
Screenshot_20200403-094149_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200403-094125_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200403-093905_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200403-093819_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200403-093831_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-093831_Gallery.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20200403-093942_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-093942_Gallery.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 47
Sweet!!! DIY is always the best..the satisfaction saying...(hey I did and can do it)

The initial cost to set yourself up for diy saddle making may seem high at first but realize now you have the tools and ability to clone every new saddle that comes out along with producing saddles that are customized to your dimensions and requirements. With saddles costing $250 a pop you'll break even after making three or four. In time the quality of your work will also be comparable to the commercially made products. Let the thread injecting begin!

Yeah and then when you start making hammocks, camping gear, tarps, bags, packs, hemming your wife's jeans for to her short legs, making hunting clothes, etc it will be money well spent.

Now I'm just trying to convince the wife that i need a walking foot with zig zag capabilities!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

For anything heavy duty, I would advise anyone to buy a heavy duty machine normal machines just can’t handle it, then you end up buying two machines, for me it wasn’t just about saddles but lots of different projects.
But the initial outlay you could buy a saddle without doubt but the material you buy will make a few, the first projects are always a huge learning curve without doubt but it is fun learning, looking good by the way, regards Wayne

You guys are correct, and that is definitely why I wanted to learn. I plan on trying a back pack build, I already did some simple ammo pouches or saddle bags. I want a pair of gaiters, so I'll try a go at that. Truck seat covers, mower cover, etc. Once you start down this road you start thinking, can I make that?

You can make anything if you have a go, work it out make patterns and go slow, the one thing I find important is thread tension, spend time getting that set up for different threads/ materials use scrap and get it bang on before starting on your project, I thought I had mine set the other day did a few runs on off cuts then stitched a glove all the way round looked at the underside and it was too loose, I ended up re doing the lot after tightening the top tension, even now I am unsure why as the test pieces were bang on same material thread and everything, can’t work that one out. I use two size threads now and have lower bobbin carriers set for both then all I do is swap them out and adjust the top, makes life easier, good luck

Yeah and then when you start making hammocks, camping gear, tarps, bags, packs, hemming your wife's jeans for to her short legs, making hunting clothes, etc it will be money well spent.

Now I'm just trying to convince the wife that i need a walking foot with zig zag capabilities!!!

Why the zig zag need? The industrial machines I am looking at have only straight stitching. Bar tacks? I wonder if they are needed with all the other stitching that can be done.

Why the zig zag need? The industrial machines I am looking at have only straight stitching. Bar tacks? I wonder if they are needed with all the other stitching that can be done.
Zig zag can be helpful when doing binding around sharper corners or repairing binding to make sure you get as much materials covered as possible.
I have only used the zig zag feature on my machine a handful times but I look at kind of like a utility trailer; you might not use it all the time but having it when you need it is nice.

Attached a couple pics of the car seat covers we use for the dogs I repaired the binding where it came loose.

Attachments

• 4162F084-EC62-43AC-B20E-E5E16BE22D2B.jpeg
    4162F084-EC62-43AC-B20E-E5E16BE22D2B.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 52
  • C0F827B8-B1AA-4EE0-BAB0-B345C7D590E7.jpeg
    C0F827B8-B1AA-4EE0-BAB0-B345C7D590E7.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 52
For me I would like it for helping with fraying edges on materials, button holes (for pants), and possibly bartacks. I'm just trying to decide if I spend the $ for another industrial machine or just go with a heavy duty home machine as I can do almost everything else with my Juki 8700-h. The Sailrite LSZ-1 is kind of what I'm looking at.

Sailrite now has tables to go with their portable machines and can get a servo motor, that’s a nice option

Making your own gear makes you really appreciate the price of commercially available gear doesnt it lol. It gets easier the more you do it. Eventually you even start to save money. I recently bought a really nice under armour camo jacket that retailed for around $300 at Ross, which is like TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Anyway I got the jacket brand new for $12.99!!! Only problem was it is an XL and I needed a Large. Spent about an hour on the sewing machine but now it fits perfectly and is sewn with heavy duty thread so it should last forever.

Last edited:
Back