• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My first hang time, WE question

Sziggy2.0

So I finally got a chance to try out my saddle for the first time. I took a couple WE steps and my new podium with the mantis.
1. Loved the saddle, it was comfortable just like y'all said it would be, loved it.
2 The platform (podium) worked well even though I couldn't seem to get it to lock on like I have seen in some review videos, it did stay put and only had small movement when I put side pressure on it.
3. What I really seemed to struggle with was the steps. I have had these a few years and had to dig them out of the closet, because I was not real comfortable with them after a couple uses before. I played with them the most, it seems like they want to "pop up" after I cam over. I have watched several videos and seem to be doing what I should but,
What am I doing wrong?
What is the trick?

If you have the WE bag it has a pic of the knot. I've done it too....easy to NOT have the knot and rope properly set.

I owned my steps for two weeks, so I am no expert. This does however help me understand your issues. Cajunyankee stated the two most common mistakes. On many instances I will start with the loop on the outside of the standoff and it ends up on the inside. I do not notice the loop slipped out until the step would pop up when cam over. Another observation is attention to detail. In the videos the experts are making subtle maneuvers when attaching the steps. Example is keeping the rope straight on a horizonal plane and pulling slack out before you cam over. Today was the first time I setup quietly, and quick setup to 20 feet. First I was not happy with the steps, but they will work once you are comfortable with them.

I know you said you’ve had them for a while, but since that doesn’t mean you used them a lot before, I’ll add: make sure the ropes are stretched out. If they’ve never been in a tree very long leave them out overnight on the biggest tree you can.

In addition to the above, when I tie my step, pull it up so the stand offs are above the rope I perform the cam action just to cinch the knots. Then I repeat the cam action, now able to go a bit higher but everything is tighter, and when I cam again the step is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone.
I have owned them for a while, I used them a couple times when I first got them and had the same issues. Put them in the garage and went back to using ladder stands. (What a quitter)
I went out again today and it was better, although still having some of the same issues. I climbed 3 different trees (just using 3 or 4 steps) until I get more proficient and figure a way to pack/carry every thing up with me. Here is what I observed today.
1. On trees with real rough bark these steps just dont seem to work, at least I haven't been able to get them to work.
2. On trees with smoother bark they worked alot better. I could get them to cam over and they didnt want to pop off. Got them solid.

So I am learning, this is one of the limitations of the WE steps, avoid rough bark trees. Limiting on which trees I can set up on. Has this been everyone else's experience?
On the positive note I am really loving the saddle side of this. The comfort and the ability to make shots 360 degrees really cool especially when you take into the weight savings, etc. I wouldn't have thought going into this that the climbing method would be such an issue. What do you guys use and what are the pros and cons of each?

My experience with the transition to saddle hunting was similar to yours. I think its pretty common. The thing that worries non-saddlehunters the most is comfort and being able to shoot out of it. In reality the actual transition to the saddle itself is almost seamless. The thing that most don't consider is the climbing method. That is where most will have to spend some time to find a climbing method that best suits their own comfort/needs/limitations.

Most seem to be happy using multiple sticks (Hawk, Muddy, Lone Wolf) as it meets the need with a mainstream "off the shelf" equipment solution. Wild edge stepps are another example of an off the shelf type solution.

For me I eventually settled on a one-stick climbing method that works best for my needs. It is compact, light and I can carry a sinlge shortened stick in my pack. As a secondary method I use WE stepps. I like them but they do take me longer to climb/get down and are heavier than carrying a single shortened Hawk helium. The WE stepps excel for me when I'm heading to a spot I know has a leaning tree as moderately leaning trees are a bit of a nemesis for me using the single stick method.

On a side note, I have never had issues with the WE stepps popping backup once installed on trees with any kind of bark. If I have an issue its for one of two reasons. Either I haven't routed the rope over the standoff as @Kenbama pointed out or I have tightened the rope just a little too much and can't get the stepp above the rope as @pesqimon pointed out. I actually use the exact process he outlines in his post. The rope should always be pulling downward on the step.

Keep trying, I'm sure you'll work it out and find something that suits your needs.

Back