• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My honest review of 4 different saddle types

johnw91

Hey Guys,

I decided this hunting season to jump in head first with saddle hunting. The following are the four types of saddle set ups I have tried so far and my opinion of each.
Type 1: RCH and single/Double sit drag.
This is the first style I tried and I originally staretd with a single sit drag and a RCH that I fashioned a linesmen belt around. This set up was fine and honestly fairly comfortable. No hip pinch, but definitely got sore in the butt after awhile from the pressure as the single sit drag is fairly narrow. When I made a double sit drag by sewing two sit drags together, that solved a lot of this issue and from a comfortability standpoint I would recommend this set up, especially if you are on a budget. The negative is that the sit drag is separate from the RCH so it is more steps involved with the two bridges, either fashioning a way to hold it up while talking or stowing in bag until at hunting height.
Type 2: Trophyline Ambush lite.
The is the second style I have tried. It was well made, but bulky. The 2 inch webbing everwhere was overkill and it was very noisy with the buckles and adjustable bridge style. The bottom of the saddle did not cup your butt either, so almost all of the pressure was on your hips. I hunted one day for four hours with it and was super uncomfortable. I tried adjusting the bridge length, tether height, even fashioned up a way to make the bottom of the saddle take on some more pressure to no avail. I returned this saddle.
Type 3: H2 slingshot
This is a comfortable saddle that is fairly minimalist and light weight. If you are on a budget I don't think you can go wrong with this one. There is some hip pressure, but adjusting the bridge attachment to the saddle can alleviate some of that. I wish it were a little wider as that would help even more. Overall a good choice, but I don't know if I could sit all day in it.
Type 4: Aerohunter Kestrel flex
What can I say, this is the cadillac of the saddle types I tried. I sat for 5 hours in mine yesterday, and with the addition of the back band it was honestly as comfortable as any climber I've ever been in. The components are incredible, I feel very safe in this set up and it is clear that a great attention to detail was put into this. The pleat in the butt really helps alleviate any pressure and makes adjusting a breeze. I can see why the wait is so long for these, I can tell you it's worth it.

With that in mind, my ranking going forward would be 1: Kestrel Flex, 2: RCH/Double sit drag , 3: H2, 4: Trophyline Ambush lite.

Hope this helps everyone, I would like to try a mantis sometime but for now I will be continuing to hunt out of the Kestrel flex.

Back