• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My initial thoughts on the Yarak

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
I received my Yarak today and wanted to give an initial review to keep anyone who may be interested in one posted on my thoughts and experiences with it. I received it around noon today and haven't stopped messing with it until just now. Bow season begins here in NC tomorrow and I've been deciding weather or not I'm taking the Yarak out with me. So here are my thoughts and observations on the new Wild Edge saddle.

Sizing: I usually buy size 2s from aero hunter and my mantis is an XL. This time I decided to go by the recommendation that Wild Edge suggested and I went with a size 1. I have a 34" waist and they recommend a size one for up to a 36" waist. I'm glad I listened. It fits really well while walking and while sitting.

Seat/Flex Pleat: this is the part I really wanted to write about. The mesh is very rigid and durable feeling. The stiffness of the mesh actually enables the flex pleat to function as designed. If I want it closed, it stays closed and it doesn't matter if I am walking, standing, sitting, or bending over. However, it's still very easy to open the pleat even while sitting if you want to open it for more room. I feel no need to add elastic bands or sew anything closed. It functions exactly as it was designed to.

Bridge loops/ Linesman Loops: another win in my book. The bridge loops are lined with mesh on the outside which keeps your bridge connections where you want than. If you want to move them, just unweight the saddle and put them where you want and they stay there. I don't know if that's what was intended but that's what happens and I like that a lot because there's no bridge jump that makes you have a heart attack until you realize the bridge slid off the thick portion of the loop. The Linesman loops are genius. The way they stick out to the side makes one handed operation a no brainier and they don't stick out far enough to be in the way. Very easy to use and convenient design.

Leg straps: The Yarak has the same step through leg straps as the kite. The pros are they make no noise compared to raptor buckles and are easy to cinch down and fold up into the provided webbing retainers. The con is, you have to step through them. Easy to loosen them up once at hunting height with no noise if you choose to do so.

The Bridge: same adjustable webbing bridge that comes on the flex. For those that don't know, this bridge is cash money. Not only can you adjust your bridge anywhere from about 6" out to over 30", you can cinch it all the way down while walking and shove that tag end in your pocket. No rolling your bridge around your waist belt to keep it out of the way while walking.

Molle loops: Another win. Hands down better than traditional 1" molle webbing in my opinion. Made from 1" type 7 nylon, the loops are large enough to fit a gun holster clip through if you want but still function just fine for regular pouches. I put one of my SYS haulers on mine and it works just fine. The three gear loops on the back are rigid and are capable of hooking a bow or bag onto while climbing. The loops for carrying a perch are under the three main gear loops. Kind of makes you realize you don't need 50 1" molle loops going around the saddle. The molle loops that travel down the side of the saddle are 1" molle webbing and I could see them being used to tether small devices or used by multiple stick guys to clip their sticks to on each side while ascending the tree.

Weight: while holding my mantis in one hand and the yarak in the other I can tell very little difference if any at all in weight difference. While wearing them I can't tell at all. There is nothing heavy or intrusive about the saddle while in use in my opinion.

Price: it cost me 291.00 to my door to purchase this saddle. That is pretty pricey considering that was only for the saddle. No tether or Linesman belt was included. Weather or not it's worth it to you is a decision for you to make. At this point I do not regret it at all.

Bottom line: I have a total of about 5 non consecutive hours in the yarak and plan to do an all day sit in it tomorrow. It is pretty much everything I thought the flex would be. I like to mod my gear and make it specific to me. At this point I feel no need to mod anything on the Yarak. It comes pretty much ready to go in my opinion and so far I am very impressed. Once I have about a month or two worth of hunts in the Yarak I will post a more in depth video review on my observations and experiences with it. Feel free to ask me anything I may have left out.

Awesome and thanks for the info. Guess you won’t be needing that flex modded with mesh now!!

You can take the tri-glide through the buckle on the leg loops off. You don't have to step through. Same thing on the kite. Try it.

You can take the tri-glide through the buckle on the leg loops off. You don't have to step through. Same thing on the kite. Try it.

Yep my mistake. I realized that after I wrote it. My wife uses my kite so I never touch those leg buckles. Another plus for the yarak

This is the one I’ve been holding out for to replace my sit drag. Only thing holding me back now other than supply is price.

How do you like it compared to your mantis? Is the $100 difference noticeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Maybe these will become more available sooner than later. Definitely something I could see myself using for early season when my Kestrel turns my crack into the rainforest. Pricey for sure, though. Do those LB loops get caught at all on brush or gear?

This is the one I’ve been holding out for to replace my sit drag. Only thing holding me back now other than supply is price.

How do you like it compared to your mantis? Is the $100 difference noticeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my opinion there is no comparison. To me the yarak wins in every category. I'm in it now and have been since 5am and I'm not hurting at all

Thanks! Maybe these will become more available sooner than later. Definitely something I could see myself using for early season when my Kestrel turns my crack into the rainforest. Pricey for sure, though. Do those LB loops get caught at all on brush or gear?

No the stick out but are pretty low profile

I too just got my hands on the YARAK today. I ordered the size 2 since I have a 38" waist. It is plenty big lol, lots of room to extend the waist strap which will come in handy late season when I'm wearing bulky clothes for long sits. The workmanship is excellent. I'm headed out now to the woods in my property to test it out. I'm gonna wear it with all my gear, pack sticks and bow to test it out. Gonna bust some brush. I also have my Kestrel along with me to test side by side. I already favor the YARAK in wearability since I wear my saddle to and from my tree. It's very light. I'm dragging my wife around to take a couple videos for a initial review.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. Hope it serves you well this season. Now all we need is an after action report when you shoot the big one.

i'm really really getting intrigued by this saddle! i love the flex idea, but wished it was mesh. now there is the YARAK!! ok, side note, i have to ask, what camo are you wearing? I LOVE the old school treebark style stuff!

Back