• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My Kestrel saddle came in Friday......

WHW

Vendor Rep
Since then I've logged in a couple of hours in the yard getting use to it. And, have made two hunts with it for another three hours. First hunt without the back strap and the second with it. The back strap really made a lot of comfort difference. Felt like I was in a recliner. I'm getting more use to the system with each climb. Finally got the right bridge length. Didn't like the Blake's Hitch on the tether and the lineman's belt. They got so tight that I couldn't adjust the length. I retied both as a prusik knot and they work much better. Have to get some knee pads for sure.

Tried using my hooks this evening and I wasn't stable enough to feel safe. If I had a platform of some kind I think it would be possible but I don't want to use a platform. I've got five ameristeps on a strap that I've been using, but I tried a couple of bolts today and believe I like them better. Plan to get some grade 8, 7" bolts tomorrow when I pick up knee pads. Also, don't like the lineman's rope that came with it. I'm going to replace it with one like I use on my rock climbing harness. It's a lot more compact and works better. I weighed the complete Kestrel kit in a pack with, five ameristeps on a strap with Woodpecker drill & bolts at 10 pounds. Then weighed my Lock-on Limit stand with rock climbing harness, Woodpecker drill & bolts, limb saw, and tether at 14 pounds. I'm committed to making this system work, but plan to still use my life time method, too. Especially when I use my tree spurs.

I want to thank this site and all the members for the information that they shared here. Really helped me educate myself to this, new to me, system. During my long wait, I was able to get a huge head start on what I needed as well as what to expect. For that I'm grateful. At 73 years of age I look forward to many hunts as a "SaddleHunter". Thank You!

Did I just read that right? You sir are my hero.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, thank you, Ernie. I'm blessed to still be able to hunt, completely independent from outside help. Having a great season with four deer so far. I'm very thankful for taking my 279th & 280th bowkill plus two gunkill bucks this season. One of the bucks was the biggest that I've ever killed, weighing 250 pounds.

9tlKwqh.jpg

6hShkhA.jpg

3T0dFbf.jpg

jnnSWse.jpg

That is awesome, Mr. Womack! Glad to have you as a member of Saddle Nation!

You mentioned that you prefer your linemans belt to the one that came with the Kestrel - can you tell me more about it? As most guys on here, I am always looking to improve my system...

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WHW
That is awesome, Mr. Womack! Glad to have you as a member of Saddle Nation!

You mentioned that you prefer your linemans belt to the one that came with the Kestrel - can you tell me more about it? As most guys on here, I am always looking to improve my system...

Thanks.

Hopefully this picture can explain it better than I can.

PTE0PRH.jpg

PTE0PRH.jpg

Would you mind trying to attach the pic again? I m not seeing it :) Dude 73? Man you are impressive to say the least! I hope I can tie my own shoes at 60! And possibly live into my 70s ....

PTE0PRH.jpg
I like it! Do you know the name of that knot? It has a special name, I was looking at it the other day. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

I like it! Do you know the name of that knot? It has a special name, I was looking at it the other day. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
LOL I take it you can see the picture! Maybe I will check it out on Tapatalk and see if I can see it there :)

Still hunting at 73 is impressive regardless of how you do it.

I was able to see the pics, awesome season! 280 bow kills! Are all with the traditional set up?

Well old man it’s good to see you finally converted.

Hi Mike, I should have know that you would be on this site. Hope you're doing well and still laying them down. The Kestrel is what won me over. I couldn't resist it. lol

Red, it's just a prusik knot with the main line rope run through it. It anchors on loops that I did running splices on. I made it just long enough to work for the largest tree that I can hang my stand on. With it as short as possible it's also perfect for the smallest tree that I can hang on. When not in use it's very light and compact on my belt. With it draped over the attached limb saw I hardly know it there.

Here's some better pictures.

sUW5mWh.jpg

lhW3dyR.jpg

1WFyzp6.jpg

I was able to see the pics, awesome season! 280 bow kills! Are all with the traditional set up?

When I started bowhunting there wasn't any compound bows. But, I bought one of the first three to come to my area in 1975. I hunted with four different compounds through the 92-93 season. Since the 93-94 season I've only hunted with tradbows. With that said I've killed 175 with wheel bows and 105 with tradbows.

I heard a podcast from you some time back - man I really wished I had thought to keep a log book of all my kills over 30+ years trad hunting. Very impressive on your age and desire.... not to emotion results. welcome to SH

I heard a podcast from you some time back - man I really wished I had thought to keep a log book of all my kills over 30+ years trad hunting. Very impressive on your age and desire.... not to emotion results. welcome to SH
My thoughts exactly. I have no clue how many I have killed through the years. It would be great to have a log.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back