• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My nightmare come alive

JFin15

SH Member
Bare with me a moment as you guys and gals are my support group :)
Here in Alabama, bow season opened yesterday. I was off, thankfully I was breathing, yet I was not in a tree. Why? Oh, I'll tell you why!
This marks my 22nd bow season and until yesterday, I could count on one finger how many times I've missed opening day. Well why wasnt I there? Heres why.
Two weeks ago I'm in the yard shooting my vxr, minding my own business when I start getting some shoulder pain. Initially I did what any man would do and ignored it. Bad idea, even worse mistake for a RN who knows and sees daily how bad shoulder injuries can be. So I decided to drop my DW and ordered some mods which would arrive a few days before giving me time to adjust.
To the cut: After nearly a week, my mods came in and I eagerly ran out to make the changes. I go to draw and, SNAP, CRACKLE POP! And I dont mean the cereal! So here I am, as I type this, 2 bucks picked out, patterned, trees prepped, yet I'm not there.
I've always been a guy who vastly prefers a compound to a crossbow. I bought my dad a temping when they legalized them so he could start bowhunting at age 75(which he successfully did). I also took it out and shot a deer with it years ago just to try it out but (to me) nothing compares to drawing that bow back on that deer without being detected. That's what gets my motor running! BUT, it seems (this year) my path will go another direction so despite my sadness, I thank the Man upstairs for my good legs, good mind, and especially for my working trigger finger.

Ok, now that I've vented (thanks for hearing me out), I need some input on a decent crossbow to hunt with atleast for this season. I'm not looking to drop a grand like I did on my dads tenpoint but I'm not the guys who skimps on gear neither. I'm hoping to get back in the game for about half that. What can yall recommend for a good mid-grade crossbow for my situation? I'm thinking weight, size, and availability are important for me right now.

To my online support group, thank you, be safe, goodluck, and God speed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I’m in a similar situation, but it’s a vision issue. A few years ago, I had to switch from iron sites on my turkey guns to red dots. Couldn’t focus in 3 planes.
With my bow, I’m having the same issue. The EZV and a bigger peep have helped, but low light amplifies my issues.
And yes, I’ve had LASIK. Twice. You know when you sign the waiver that states that the surgery ‘might not work’. Yeah.
Anyway, I have UPS arriving today with a Hickory Creek mini in-line. I’m going to try it with the supplied scope, first. I have an Aimpoint T1 micro 4 MOA dot that might end up on there. Lots of supporters of the HCA on here. Check it out.

I’m in a similar situation, but it’s a vision issue. A few years ago, I had to switch from iron sites on my turkey guns to red dots. Couldn’t focus in 3 planes.
With my bow, I’m having the same issue. The EZV and a bigger peep have helped, but low light amplifies my issues.
And yes, I’ve had LASIK. Twice. You know when you sign the waiver that states that the surgery ‘might not work’. Yeah.
Anyway, I have UPS arriving today with a Hickory Creek mini in-line. I’m going to try it with the supplied scope, first. I have an Aimpoint T1 micro 4 MOA dot that might end up on there. Lots of supporters of the HCA on here. Check it out.
Will do. What kind of time did it take take to come in? I just glanced at the basspro site for the local store and it appears they're sold out of almost everything. There is another local place I'll check today but I'll probably have to order one.
Also, and I'm sure you've heard of it, but they're doing what I assume is a lens transplant where you can pick the strength like a contact. I know several people who've had it done to replace their contacts.

How are you gonna cock it?
I'll figure something out trust me. I'll be damned if this is keeping me out of the woods all together. I'm picturing a ratchet strap over a low limb! Lol nothing a little redneck ingenuity wont fix. Plus there are several devices available

Will do. What kind of time did it take take to come in? I just glanced at the basspro site for the local store and it appears they're sold out of almost everything. There is another local place I'll check today but I'll probably have to order one.
Also, and I'm sure you've heard of it, but they're doing what I assume is a lens transplant where you can pick the strength like a contact. I know several people who've had it done to replace their contacts.

Ordered on 10/7, coming today-10/16.
Thanks for the heads up, but I’m avoiding any more eye surgery unless absolutely necessary

There are cross "bows" on Craigslist everyday. Pick up something cheap and get rid of the thing as soon as season is closed.
I just looked on Craigslist here and the crossbow prices are incredibly high, about new sale price. I thought it was good idea, too.

Last edited:
What's the resale on these things I wonder? I've been searching the interweb and it seems I wouldn't be able to get my hands on anything that includes a cocking device until the middle of next week. Also, all the cocking devices appear to be brand specific so you have to buy the same brand and most of those are out of stock as well.
So i place to call up to the local sporting goods (who thinks they're basspro but better) and they have a CenterPoint 400 with the cocking device in stock but naturally they put a price tag of a grand on it(that's their m.o.).

Anyone familiar with this brand? And If I go and buy that thing what's the chances I can get 700 back out of it?

From the reviews I've read, people seem to like the Centerpoint crossbows. 2 day delivery for Centerpoint 370 to central Alabama.

Last edited:
The first crossbow I bought was a Barnett recruit tactical which is a compound crossbow. It shot fine but I had to adjust the cams to make them parallel, which is easy by twisting the Y strings. This may be something you know about since it would be the same as with this type regular compound bow.

This one is similar to the one I bought last year. I think my model was discontinued. My model has a Triggertech trigger which breaks cleaner than my Hickory Creek mini.
Edit: this model says Triggertech on the enlarged photo.

Last edited:
This is the only thing I know that is wrong with my Barnett.

Here is something that was wrong.

But not now.

Some reviewers said the string came off at the first shot. This must be why. I shot mine out of the box and the string didn't come off but I figured I better align it.

Last edited:
Since time is of the essence, I would recommend a traditional crossbow for this season. It seems people have to tune hc for broadhead usage and people have had issues with the scope. Too much fiddling with no time to fiddle for THIS season.

I have heard good about killer instinct crossbows. My local shop is now selling them since Parker shut down. His shop exclusively stocks one brand and one brand only and services the brand he sells.

You could also go to https://www.wyverncreations.com/ call him up and explain your situation and constraints. He may be able to hook you up.

Best is to get a crossbow with some package that includes bolts and all you get out shooting. Get it, get some broad heads. Sight in at 20 and 30 and get out hunting. If you can get it from a local shop, great, if not, try the link I posted.

Take care of that shoulder. And no shame changing your game (temporarily or permanently) to adjust for your physical capabilities.

I ended up buying the centerpoint locally. Mainly because it had the crank style cocking device. I can honestly say I dont think I've ever in my life been sad while making a hunting equipment purchase.

So I got the thing sighted in after 10 or so shots. The trigger sucks and the "sled" that connects to the string tries to come off the rail (which in my mind would cause a dry fire). Takes forever to cock it because of that. Apparently centerpoint is affiliated with raven and they have a new style "sled" that will fix it. Either way it really ticks me off to spend over a grand on something then have to get new parts to make it work right. Other than those 2 things, I can say this joker is a tack driver! Stackin em at 40. I'm about to test this scope out at some distance in a minute. The reticle is supposedly accurate to 100...not that I would attempt that.

Hopefully after a week or so I'll be able to draw my compound again. In the back of my mind I feel its probably not a good idea. I'm having some weird pain at times and right now, I'm too scared to thinm k about trying it. I do have some 60# mods coming that I can probably tune down into the 40s. I'll take a 48# compound all day long if I can get to draw on a deer this season.

At this point, I'm grateful to be hunting but I sure do miss my compound. I feel all sorts of "off" just carrying this xbow. Guess I'll get used to it.

Back