• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My One Stick Helium Stick Mods

bj139

Do not attempt this at home. For information only.

Platform
I made a platform from an aluminum fence post insert which is used to strengthen vinyl fence posts for lock attachment and such. My platorm is 12 inches long. It seems to work fine. I still need a platform for when I climb SRT in RADS mode. RADS seems easy when I have tried it. The 3:1 mechanical advantage is golden.

Buckle Attachment to Stick
I wondered what it was about Muddy sticks that many people on the forum love. The broken steps on Muddies seem to be largely ignored. It must be the cam cleat. It certainly seems convenient having the strap adjustment right on the stick. How could I emulate this effect on my Helium sticks. If the cam cleat is attached to the Muddy stick, I could attach the Helium buckle to the Helium stick. Shear genius. Well, not really. It seems to be convenient to be able to hold the stick and press the buckle release with one hand. I thought this was necessary for me if I ever hoped to be able to do one sticking. I tried one sticking in the park and I was able to move the stick once up and once down before I hit dense over head limbs. Doing it more than once should be easy. I since tried this on several woodland one stick climbs and it works good.
I am a Murphy's Law follower so always keep my eyes peeled for potential problems. Notice my knee in proximity to the strap release button. So far, my knee has not come close but who knows what conditions might exist later. For this reason, please do not follow this advice since it may be dangerous to the uncareful.
I considered moving the buckle but if it is far from the button there will be a twisting moment so it should be just up or down from the button. I also considered beside the button but the support for the screws would have been too thin. Anyway, I have noticed no twisting on the stick I have modified.

Helium Aiders
The aiders I made for my Helium sticks are still going strong. They and the steps they are attached to still have not broken after at least 10 practice climbs and jumping up and down on them. I still want to sew the loose ends on my double aiders for extra safety. I posted about my Helium Aiders a while ago and was told it was unsafe so you should not attempt this at home. For more information search for Helium Aiders on Saddlehunter.

This is for informational purposes only. It only describes what I have done and consider safe for myself. Do not try this unless you accept all risk in modifying OEM equipment.
Opinions of others may be correct. What do I know? I'm only a scientist.

I’m very interested in constructing a similar platform such as the one you have displayed. Where would I find the material such as the one you used? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned in another thread that they were worried about the screws attaching the buckle pulling out and I said that two small steel straps could be attached to the back of the screws and run behind the stick to the other side and fastened to the other side of the stick with screws for a complete steel wrap around attachment. I haven't had any problems with what I showed here. The forces on the screws are sideways to the left and not pulling straight out but the straps are a good idea just to make extra sure.

The first platform photo was an early prototype. I replaced the 6mm screws at the top of the stick with 1/4" and screwed them through the platform so there are four screws holding the platform to the stick.

Helium Aiders
The aiders I made for my Helium sticks are still going strong. They and the steps they are attached to still have not broken after at least 10 practice climbs and jumping up and down on them. I still want to sew the loose ends on my double aiders for extra safety. I posted about my Helium Aiders a while ago and was told it was unsafe so you should not attempt this at home. For more information search for Helium Aiders on Saddlehunter.

What exactly did people find unsafe about your aiders?

What exactly did people find unsafe about your aiders?

Back