• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My saddle experience so far

stevethebreeze

Well first off, I just got my H2 saddle in this week. WooHoo! Messed around with figuring it out after work a little each day getting it adjusted, figuring out all the belts buckles loops, ropes, etc. Videos just arent like the real thing, but I digress. This morning we got a cold front in and it was around 60 degrees, I was in the woods before daybreak on my practice tree I've found 20 yards from the back yard. Its a water Oak. Very hard, slick bark tree.
I got the Linemans belt down pretty good thanks to some help from @gcr0003 and I got hanging the sticks down pretty quick. Really took my time and went slow and didnt rush. Felt really solid with the Heliums. Getting my tether just right is going to take more practice. Its wanting to slip for some reason so I'm going to have to spend some more ground time getting that down. Kind of important. Once I got it set right and moved from LB to tether and onto the Mission platform I felt right at home moving around practicing different positions, no creaks or pops and was rock solid on this slick bark tree with my 250 lbs on it.
I used 4 sticks the last hour of 3 hours practice, no aiders yet, and got about 12 ft off the ground and onto the platform. I made a CAYG aider and that will be my next practice session.
What I've found so far:
The H2 is SUPER comfy! I found leaning with the bridge on the higher side of my bridge loops and even in a sitting position equally comfortable. BUT.. its really loud walking with it on. Its as noisy as walking in leaves in October. Not sure I want to walk in with this thing. Maybe I dont have the leg straps right but they werent too tight and didnt feel too loose. I know its not a mesh material but the fabric is really stiff, maybe just needs broken in.
HIGHLY SUGGEST- @DanO Kydex molle loop holders along with the smallest nite eyes wire(?). I will post pictures but on these Heliums there is a hole in the top steps that you can run the nite eyes through and fit perfectly. They have a stopper on the end so there is about 3-4" of rubber wire sticking out to play with. You make a bend in the nite eyes wire and it fits right in the kydex molle holder. The rubber on the Nite eyes wire really holds well in there and you can climb up and lift up your sticks easily to place on tree super easy and smooth.
Havent figured out how Im going to haul up my platform yet. I was practicing with going up and down with my Linemens belt so I hauled it up on its own. With 2 sticks attached and a platform Im afraid its going rattle and bang against each other. Putting it in/on my backpack seems like a lot of trouble when you get to height. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Anyway, Im loving this so far! Thanks to you guys for answering all my dumb questions and being a huge help to me.

Good luck saddle hunting this year! Practice makes perfect. Pick out some less than ideal trees and practice climbing those! Forked, leaning, too big, too many limbs. That’ll make you climb those telephone pole trees even easier

That saddle will “break-in” and get softer so it won’t be so loud. Take your leg straps off while you walk. I just hook them back up behind my legs when I walk and hook them up when I get to the tree. That will help with noise and it won’t feel like you’re walking in a diaper.

Last edited:
Back