• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My scent control routine

Exhumis

SH Member
I've had a couple guys ask me how I'm able to see more deer(not here but other hunters, especially when they see me dressing next to my truck) so here's what I do:
I'm definitely no John Eberhart but I try. My wife is Asian and we eat enough garlic that vampires will never be an issue in my house. However, I brush my teeth before each hunt and I take a shower using carbon synergy shampoo and keep the water warm not hot so I don't sweat when I get out the shower. I do use scentlok clothing so while I'm doing this if my clothes need recharged I'll run them in the dryer. Next, I don clean underoos that have been washed in the same unscented detergent and carbon synergy as my hunting clothes. I do all this because I sweat alot and stink. I grab my clothes out the dryer and stuff them in a sack and proceed down to my garage where my clothes are kept. I keep all my hunting clothes in totes
Screenshot_20191120-225109.png
and away from smells in the house. I dress in the garage only putting on my base layers, then a set of clothes including shoes I have for driving to and from the hunting properties. I tried changing at the property once and almost got arrested for indecent exposure(I hunt in urban areas, damn house wives). I grab my tote and bow case and head out. Even in winter I keep my heat off so as not to overheat and sweat. Once at my property I pull my tote and bow case out of my truck and get dressed. Travel clothes go in the truck. I grab some field wash and wash my hands, then put on my gloves first, then socks, pants and then boots. My pack stays in the tote as well. That comes out and my sticks and platform get fastened to it. My top gets lashed to my pack. Bow comes out and case and tote goes back in the truck. At this point I've touched none of my gear or clothes with bare hands. When I'm done hunting it's the reverse, clothes, boots, pack etc go back in the tote and my travel clothes and shoes go back on.
Is it overkill? Possibly. But I know for sure it works because of this picture right here:
Screenshot_20191120-231329.png
It's difficult to tell but that's a buck just to the north of the tree and two does. Just last year in the same spot I was lucky to see one deer, this picture is taken in a draw in the evening with thermals sucking my scent right down onto the ground and down the draw where the deer came from. Now, every time I sit I'm seeing at least several deer, bucks and does and mature ones at that and this is on each property I hunt of which I rotate a few. I'm just throwing this out there to show folks it can work even if you don't want to take it to John's level. Yes I use Scentlok clothes but that's mostly because they fit me well. Scent reduction is an added bonus and make no bones about it that's what I'm aiming for, reduction. Well that and seeing more deers. Now if would just work on turkey I'd be set.

Last edited:
I don’t believe I can beat a deers nose, but if I can reduce their threshold detection of me, I’ll try for that. A couple things to add... the JX3 is a bit of an awkward shape for bins, so I travel with that in a big clear bag. This year I’ve also been experimenting with carbon powder in a ziplock, with a paintbrush. Before I head in I baste the boots and below my knees with that, only takes a minute. I have no idea if this works but I am trying to minimize ground scent, it can’t hurt, and I will say I’ve had multiple deer cross my travel path this year without spooking.

I don’t believe I can beat a deers nose, but if I can reduce their threshold detection of me, I’ll try for that. A couple things to add... the JX3 is a bit of an awkward shape for bins, so I travel with that in a big clear bag. This year I’ve also been experimenting with carbon powder in a ziplock, with a paintbrush. Before I head in I baste the boots and below my knees with that, only takes a minute. I have no idea if this works but I am trying to minimize ground scent, it can’t hurt, and I will say I’ve had multiple deer cross my travel path this year without spooking.
Are you using carbon synergy? I like the paint brush idea, I might try that with my boots as well. Thanks for the idea.

I've had a couple guys ask me how I'm able to see more deer(not here but other hunters, especially when they see me dressing next to my truck) so here's what I do:
I'm definitely no John Eberhart but I try. My wife is Asian and we eat enough garlic that vampires will never be an issue in my house. However, I brush my teeth before each hunt and I take a shower using carbon synergy shampoo and keep the water warm not hot so I don't sweat when I get out the shower. I do use scentlok clothing so while I'm doing this if my clothes need recharged I'll run them in the dryer. Next, I don clean underoos that have been washed in the same unscented detergent and carbon synergy as my hunting clothes. I do all this because I sweat alot and stink. I grab my clothes out the dryer and stuff them in a sack and proceed down to my garage where my clothes are kept. I keep all my hunting clothes in totes
View attachment 20888
and away from smells in the house. I dress in the garage only putting on my base layers, then a set of clothes including shoes I have for driving to and from the hunting properties. I tried changing at the property once and almost got arrested for indecent exposure(I hunt in urban areas, damn house wives). I grab my tote and bow case and head out. Even in winter I keep my heat off so as not to overheat and sweat. Once at my property I pull my tote and bow case out of my truck and get dressed. Travel clothes go in the truck. I grab some field wash and wash my hands, then put on my gloves first, then socks, pants and then boots. My pack stays in the tote as well. That comes out and my sticks and platform get fastened to it. My top gets lashed to my pack. Bow comes out and case and tote goes back in the truck. At this point I've touched none of my gear or clothes with bare hands. When I'm done hunting it's the reverse, clothes, boots, pack etc go back in the tote and my travel clothes and shoes go back on.
Is it overkill? Possibly. But I know for sure it works because of this picture right here:
View attachment 20889
It's difficult to tell but that's a buck just to the north of the tree and two does. Just last year in the same spot I was lucky to see one deer, this picture is taken in a draw in the evening with thermals sucking my scent right down onto the ground and down the draw where the deer came from. Now, every time I sit I'm seeing at least several deer, bucks and does and mature ones at that and this is on each property I hunt of which I rotate a few. I'm just throwing this out there to show folks it can work even if you don't want to take it to John's level. Yes I use Scentlok clothes but that's mostly because they fit me well. Scent reduction is an added bonus and make no bones about it that's what I'm aiming for, reduction. Well that and seeing more deers. Now if would just work on turkey I'd be set.

Are the sticks, outside the tote, inside your house, the ones you use for hunting? How do they get treated in this whole process? Aren’t they the closest thing to those deers’ noses you’re fooling? Genuine curiosity...

Valid question. Yes the sticks live in my garage, for now. I couldn't find a tote or scent free sack large enough to hold them. I'm not as worried about them adsorbing scent molecules as I am fabric because they are hard and not as porous so I can live with it. They also get sprayed with scent eliminating spray(the kind used in hospitals) and doused with carbon powder. The straps come off once every 5 hunts and are washed in carbon synergy. Also I know myself and if I take the straps off I will forget them. So it's acceptable to me. The deer in the pic I posted walked right by and lingered next to my sticks for about 15 minutes and didn't seem effected. Now that I have a bed topper on my truck the sticks will be living there permanently.

Valid question. Yes the sticks live in my garage, for now. I couldn't find a tote or scent free sack large enough to hold them. I'm not as worried about them adsorbing scent molecules as I am fabric because they are hard and not as porous so I can live with it. They also get sprayed with scent eliminating spray(the kind used in hospitals) and doused with carbon powder. The straps come off once every 5 hunts and are washed in carbon synergy. Also I know myself and if I take the straps off I will forget them. So it's acceptable to me. The deer in the pic I posted walked right by and lingered next to my sticks for about 15 minutes and didn't seem effected. Now that I have a bed topper on my truck the sticks will be living there permanently.
Contractor grade garbage bags make good containers for odd shaped stuff like sticks. They are space efficient, they are easy to pump O3 into, and I rotate them for seat covers in my truck. We take so much care with showering, etc, then we climb onto our vehicle seats (every odor known to man) for the drive to our parking spot. I slip garbage bags over those seats to reduce transfer odors.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Contractor grade garbage bags make good containers for odd shaped stuff like sticks. They are space efficient, they are easy to pump O3 into, and I rotate them for seat covers in my truck. We take so much care with showering, etc, then we climb onto our vehicle seats (every odor known to man) for the drive to our parking spot. I slip garbage bags over those seats to reduce transfer odors.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
That's a good one, didn't think about those garbage bags. Think I might start using them for my sticks. Won't fit over my seat since it's a bench. Also, my truck is only used for hunting so that helps. A little.

I put everything into my Scentlok OZ bag including my sticks , pack, etc. I keep everything ready to hunt this way and its a game changer for me . I see deer much more than I did before using this regime. Can`t say enough about this product and how its changed things for me .
ScentLok OZ Chamber Bag with Unit Realtree Edge Frame
I`m putting my own review together this week.

Last edited:
View attachment 20888
View attachment 20889
I have a similar routine minus the Scentlok clothes for now and I still play the wind. I definitely have seen more deer this year and had them closer and less spooked. I was never a big believer in carbon clothes until I used some bulk Amazon carbon. I ground it down in the Ninja then placed in cut panty hose in my rubber boots overnight and there is no distinguishable foot odor anymore. I do the same with my hunting clothes I keep in my Engel kayaking cooler (air/watertight seal) after I run a cheapo ozone machine on them. I broke down and bought some Scentlok baseslayers and will be giving them a go in the near future.

Really wanting to get into Scentlok stuff but I have two hangups...

1. I LOVE MY Nomad Cottonwood 1/2 zip pullover!!! Not sure I could give that thing up as a top layer.
2. Not sure which of my children I'd have to sell in order to afford a Scentlok outfit.
I didn't realize they made a carbon base layer until a buddy told me ( I was already using a Scentlok head cover for my foul breath). They had some close out deals on their website and I think a top and bottoms could be had for around $100. I plan on just using my other old hunting clothes on top after they get ozone in the cooler. Not a full "system" but I might just piece one together slowly but surely as funds allow.

Really wanting to get into Scentlok stuff but I have two hangups...

1. I LOVE MY Nomad Cottonwood 1/2 zip pullover!!! Not sure I could give that thing up as a top layer.
2. Not sure which of my children I'd have to sell in order to afford a Scentlok outfit.
Scentlok is having a 50% off Black Friday sale, plenty of options to get you started. I just bought a couple of new jackets and a pair of pants.

Eberhart has a proven record and from my personal experience I believe in scentlok and ozone both. I think there are cheaper ways of getting the same results.Just the same I like using the oz bag . I don`t wash anything anymore and I`m seeing deer under my stand with no apparent concerns . I have 3 kills this year and all were down wind of me at some time and didn`t spook. I reactivate my scent lok/scent blocker clothing in the dryer once a month. That's it. My gear is in my truck and ready to go all the time now. I can wash down with field wipes and hunt right from work. Huge game changer as I see it. Please don't discount the significance . You can`t beat a deer's nose but you can certainly reduce human odor enough that the deer are not concerned . Any edge is worth trying. This stuff really works the way its described as far as I`m concerned. I no longer hunt "the wind" and setup where I want now. More action less work. I`m all in.

Eberhart has a proven record and from my personal experience I believe in scentlok and ozone both. I think there are cheaper ways of getting the same results.Just the same I like using the oz bag . I don`t wash anything anymore and I`m seeing deer under my stand with no apparent concerns . I have 3 kills this year and all were down wind of me at some time and didn`t spook. I reactivate my scent lok/scent blocker clothing in the dryer once a month. That's it. My gear is in my truck and ready to go all the time now. I can wash down with field wipes and hunt right from work. Huge game changer as I see it. Please don't discount the significance . You can`t beat a deer's nose but you can certainly reduce human odor enough that the deer are not concerned . Any edge is worth trying. This stuff really works the way its described as far as I`m concerned. I no longer hunt "the wind" and setup where I want now. More action less work. I`m all in.
It's pretty amazing how little time and effort it takes when you get a system down too. That was my biggest hang up this year when trying out all this scent reduction "hassle".

Thank you @ericabbott! I'll totally look into some of their bottoms and base layers during the 50% off sale.

@SloMo, @Jtaylor, @Exhumis and others... Would it be worth buying/employing Scentlok base layers (and possibly pants) if you already know you're going to be wearing a non-Scentlok top?

Thank you @ericabbott! I'll totally look into some of their bottoms and base layers during the 50% off sale.

@SloMo, @Jtaylor, @Exhumis and others... Would it be worth buying/employing Scentlok base layers (and possibly pants) if you already know you're going to be wearing a non-Scentlok top?
I wish I could tell ya, that's the route I'm about to take. The Scentlok arrived yesterday and I'll be trying it this weekend. My theory is the Baseslayers have some carbon and will be the closest thing to my skin helping reduce my human odor. I'll still be using the ozone on my top non-Scentlok layers to reduce scent until I can afford a whole system or have a better idea how it works for me.

I wish I could tell ya, that's the route I'm about to take. The Scentlok arrived yesterday and I'll be trying it this weekend. My theory is the Baseslayers have some carbon and will be the closest thing to my skin helping reduce my human odor. I'll still be using the ozone on my top non-Scentlok layers to reduce scent until I can afford a whole system or have a better idea how it works for me.
I never wear my scent lok base layers against my skin. I wear something like Xstatic or other anti microbial type layer next to my skin and then the scent lok bases. My thought process on that is I want to keep as much skin oil off of my scent lok as possible. I feel the XStatic layer "pretreats" (reduces) my odor and then the scent lok has less to absorb. Carbon clothes have limits on how much they should be washed so I try to preserve their cleanliness as much as I can. The antimicrobial layers have no limits on how often they are laundered, so they get washed after every hunt.

Oh man hearing carbon synergy brings back memories... or nightmares! I had so much dusted in my clothes I’m surprised I don’t have black lung. Looked like I spent the day down in the coal mines, not a tree. My wife thought I was crazy coming home with my face and hands all black. I’m sure see took pictures so I guess I’ll never have a career in politics...

Back