• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My season recap

Root

Today marked the end of my season. So I figured I would do a recap, maybe it'll help someone else.

After last season I was slammed with work in my shop. I barely did any post season scouting or tree prep. But I felt fairly convinced on the properties I hunt the little that would change I would adapt and overcome.

My first hunt is always an observation sit, usually I will spot a buck to chase. This year was no different. First sit I spotted a buck and pursued him all through bow season. I managed to get within 50 yards of him a few times, and 80 yards once. The problem I ran into was only being able to hunt weekends left me burning one day to locate him again. Then if the wind switched I'd have to scramble the next day to find him. Like an old dog I pursued him until the season closed. I knew better and should've moved on. Most all of his bedding is on a property I don't have permission on which keep letting him skate me. The next problem that should've told me to move on was the influx of "hunters" riding atvs all over on their way to their over hunted stands. The areas that usually never had hunters were getting pounded.

Switching into gun season I bounced onto another property of known bedding. The early heavy snow decimated the security cover which changed the travel routes. Again I should've moved on but I kept playing cat and mouse. This landed me into does and small bucks but never getting close enough to the big boys. Eventually I jumped onto a new property and scrambled to fill the freezer/ gather some Intel for next season.

Long story short it was a great season of learning. My biggest take aways are:
-Only being able to hunt weekends changes the game. I need to be able to jump ahead for seasonal changes that happen every week. (Rut phases, weather, foliage, pressure.)
- I need to go scout more public land to open up more options. If I can't access a certain bucks bedding I need to move on.
- My in season scouting needs to improve. Often I was left 20 yards out of the game.
- I need to simplify my gear. Once at the tree I feel there is to much time spent getting everything attached. Usually I'm up a tree in 10 mins or less ready to hunt, but I'd like to simplify the process.

I'm sure there will be more as I go back over my notes.

You are 100% spot-on regarding weekends. Honestly, I hate it. I miss being able to tell my boss I wanted Tuesdays and Wednesdays off and having public land to myself. No more half days in the woods due to super early/late shifts either. I have spent more time with family this year, but less time hunting. Can't complain about 10 days for Thanksgiving and 10 for Christmas though.

Back