• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Narrowing down the daypack decision (Horn Hunter /Alps)

Tr33_n1nj@

SH Member
Looking at getting a new pack. Currently have the Fieldline Treeline Pro from Walmart. It’s been ok-ish for the last 4 years but it’s no longer able to do what I need. I need a large single central compartment and then multiple other smaller pockets and I would like for it to be hung in the tree in a way that is compatible with hunting from a saddle. Looking hard at Horn Hunter Main Beam and G3, and also Alps Outdoorz Pursuit. Wanted to like the Badlands Timber but for the size (1500 ci) and price, just wasn’t a good fit. I guess what I need help with is, in the tree, which one is less in the way/sticking out like a unnatural blob while still having gear easily accessible? The G3 is wider and shorter and the Main Beam is taller and skinnier and has more ci, but doesn’t look like it has as many outside pockets. The Alps just seems somewhere in the middle but is it as durable? Will WE steps or modified Hawk Helium’s fit inside any of those well enough? Those who have experience please chime in. If there is another option I’m missing for less than $150, I’m not 100% sold in these yet, but you’d better make a good case if you want to change my mind. No I don’t want a frame pack or a Tenzing.

On a related note- what’s the big secret about showing the inside of the bag. Almost no companies show what the inside of the bag looks like in their marketing material. It would be helpful to know how all those pockets and such are layed out, would it not?

I’ve also been eyeballing this pack just dunno if quite big enough. I wish the quandary had a zip top similar to the gunner it’d be money!

I've been really pleased with my Sitka Tool Box. Perhaps a little tight on the CIs, but lots of pockets in the lid and internally. Generally more pricey than the options you have listed, but here's a good deal:

Looking at getting a new pack. Currently have the Fieldline Treeline Pro from Walmart. It’s been ok-ish for the last 4 years but it’s no longer able to do what I need. I need a large single central compartment and then multiple other smaller pockets and I would like for it to be hung in the tree in a way that is compatible with hunting from a saddle. Looking hard at Horn Hunter Main Beam and G3, and also Alps Outdoorz Pursuit. Wanted to like the Badlands Timber but for the size (1500 ci) and price, just wasn’t a good fit. I guess what I need help with is, in the tree, which one is less in the way/sticking out like a unnatural blob while still having gear easily accessible? The G3 is wider and shorter and the Main Beam is taller and skinnier and has more ci, but doesn’t look like it has as many outside pockets. The Alps just seems somewhere in the middle but is it as durable? Will WE steps or modified Hawk Helium’s fit inside any of those well enough? Those who have experience please chime in. If there is another option I’m missing for less than $150, I’m not 100% sold in these yet, but you’d better make a good case if you want to change my mind. No I don’t want a frame pack or a Tenzing.

On a related note- what’s the big secret about showing the inside of the bag. Almost no companies show what the inside of the bag looks like in their marketing material. It would be helpful to know how all those pockets and such are layed out, would it not?

The best way I know of to see the inside of the bag and get a feel for the size of it is to watch YouTube reviews like the one posted above. It won't show you everything but gives you a much better idea then the pics on a companies website. Beyond that, good luck in your search. I still haven't found a bag I am completely happy with either.

I have an alps pursuit I recently bought that I might be willing to sell.

With that being said, I like the lashing system. You can carry your sticks in the back using the boot. I do not have modified Heliums so I’m not sure if they would fit in the bag. Lmk what specifics you want and I can try to answer or take pictures.

Also I like that the hip belt is detachable. Material seems more than durable.

BTW I’m selling because the pack is slightly larger than a pack I already have. Plus I have too many bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I found the HH G3 used for $70. It's honestly a little bigger than expected. I haven't hunted out of it yet. But it has lots of pockets inside and out. I like that I can hang it from the hook and have access to everything. I'm planning to strap my helium sticks to the outside of it. May be overkill for early season but it's an upgrade from the RedHead bag that I've been using for years.

Back