• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help creating a FAQ's thread

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Alright everyone with the expanding amount of saddlehunters I'm getting sick of reading the same questions in a new thread over and over. I need someone to volunteer to create a FAQ's thread for me. If someone can create it I will look it over and give my input. I'm barely keeping my head above water at work right now and just don't have the time so I need some help. Thanks in advance guys.

Red - you might also consider a new folder/tab - Newbies start here -? That way we could dump all the FAQs and new user threads into that area - would give the new saddle hunters a single place to go to get started? just a thought.

It does seem like groundhog day around here the past several months.

I could help in some capacity. Are you thinking of compiling content or linking it to other threads. On the beast website there is a list of "greatest hits" threads that I think is a pretty good concept. And even with that, the same stuff comes up again and again in new threads. It's just the nature of this form of communication.

@elk yinzer is correct, it's the nature of the beast.....look what AT turned into...Rokslide is on that same path....I think your idea is worth the effort to avoid saddlehunter turning into AT and what Rokslide is headed to. Reading the same questions over and over because people are to lazy to do a search is frustrating, although I am sure I have been guilty of it before I try really hard to find answers to anything before asking anyone, not just on forums either

I'm open to any ideas. I don't have the answer and I know it is a general problem with forums, not just here. I also know we can't eliminate it but if we can do anything to minimize it it would be helpful. @donnieballgame had put together a beginner/newbie thread for people to read. My first thoughts are to have the registration email that is sent to new users contain links to this information. I can't force anyone to read it though. I can start just deleting those threads but that's not the right way to go about it. We could designate someone to be the jerk that always posts "use the search function" lol. It actually works pretty good on here.

I think people just need to use the saddle newb forum better and keep the climbing/platform/anything saddle forums more for innovations and such. Move the riff raff into that section!

The Saddle newb section is a great tool. The basis is the fact that you undergo a journey into saddle hunting. This place is a great resource during that journey. Some want the quick fix and for that journey to take 20 minutes, and those people annoy everyone I think I can say confidently. For some it never ends and they get stuck in a perpetual state of gear tinkering and they end up going off the deep end and starting companies and stuff!

However, I think most of us are in between and hit a point where our gear becomes dialed in and the gear related discussions fade into the background noise. The kid grows up so to speak. I know that's the case with me here. My setup is now dialed in and the gear-related interest is very limited to select DIY innovations or industry releases. I think it's a great community but the gear discussions I am pretty much over.

It's like these mommy boards that my wife was on. Basically a sub-board that is a "class" of moms based on due dates and go through the whole process with them. Here, the application is almost that you have a board with a "class" of newbs that can undergo the process together with some hand holding chaperones to help them through. It's real cute. All these saddle newbs could be the little saddle baby class of 2020. How cute.

It's like a lot of people want personalized consulting, and I guess I get that, but most of us are busy and have a limited desire to help out for little thanks in return.

New requirement for new member approval.... "do you know how to use the search function?" lol

I think a sub forum would work. You'll still have guys asking outside of that but hopefully it'll cut it down.
Pin at the top all the Kestrel vs mantis threads or discussions bc that is the #1 dead horse getting beat at the moment

I think the idea of a beginners sub forum or FAQ's thread is good but, there almost needs to be a big banner across the top of the website that says "read the beginners thread and use the search function before asking questions" or a less direct method would be to point out the beginners thread and the search function in the registration email, then figure out how to make sure people read it.

You could also make the search box a little more prominent, and add some text with it that says something like "Search here for answers to frequently asked questions or other Saddle related questions: ( ).

I guess I haven't paid attention there is already a new saddle hunter folder. These days, I actually prefer folks to contact me directly if they have a question on my gear choice and how I use it.

A faq section would be great. It would have to be pretty generic for it not to become a full time job. Since it’s the year of safety we could at least cover the safety related questions.

How bout making new members like partial members and after the read the required posts they can post themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like writing! And projects that don't involve working with the government! And I'm slow at work now that everybody has realized their New Year's resolution to go back to school was silly...

Let me think. For starters...

When will my Mantis/Predator/Kestrel/Kite/Steps/Sticks/dogfood/essential oils/hemmoroid cream ship?

February 31st. If you haven't received it by then, call 1-800-867-5309 for Universal Customer Support. Seriously, we're a hunting forum, not a logistics support company. Ask the manufacturer.

Can I use _________ for a tether/linemans/ bridge?

Is it rated for 23kn? No? Then absolutely not? Yes? Maybe. Are you a twinkies and ribeye kinda guy? Or a quinoa and spinach feller? Got kids? Believe in an afterlife? Like subprime stocks? What's your risk tolerance? How well do you bounce? If other people aren't using it, maybe there's a reason.

Does this saddle make my junk look big?

Please refer all questions of this nature
to @Blinginpse. Some of us browse this forum at work or at the family dinner table.

What else can we cover?

A thought.... Change "Saddle Information for New Users" to "New User Info & FAQ"

Under that section...add another sticky "FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS"

Set up first post as initial statement/summary. With directions on how to request/suggest additional questions be added. Then next few posts broken into categories (Climbing Methods, bridge/tether info, comfort issues, etc). These can be edited and expanded on as needed.

Once the initial frame is setup, folks can make suggestions and we can add the questions with resource links. Somewhat similar to how the beast greatest hits is set up

And trust me....no matter what is done, there will still be folks that won't look there.

Example....
----------------------
QUESTION 1

Link to helpful thread
Link to second helpful thread

I really like the search button. The forum is chalked full of great info, and searching for your intended content works really good, I use it constantly.

New users probably get overwhelmed with the amount of info and get lazy and either stop searching or don’t search at all. Having the search feature talked about in a banner or main page heading would help I think.

As mentioned before, also having the registration email contain some threads to look over for new memebers as a start point, would get some people off on the right foot.

Safety is key in this game, and I think newcomers are probably looking to solve those questions first. Maybe safety threads could be prioritized somehow?

I like writing! And projects that don't involve working with the government! And I'm slow at work now that everybody has realized their New Year's resolution to go back to school was silly...

When will my Mantis/Predator/Kestrel/Kite/Steps/Sticks/dogfood/essential oils/hemmoroid cream ship?

February 31st. If you haven't received it by then, call 1-800-867-5309 for Universal Customer Support. Seriously, we're a hunting forum, not a logistics support company. Ask the manufacturer.

Is it rated for 23kn? No? Then absolutely not? Yes? Maybe. Are you a twinkies and ribeye kinda guy? Or a quinoa and spinach feller? Got kids? Believe in an afterlife? Like subprime stocks? What's your risk tolerance? How well do you bounce? If other people aren't using it, maybe there's a reason.

to @Blinginpse. Some of us browse this forum at work or at the family dinner table.

What else can we cover?
Lol always a fresh and creative perspective!

What else can we cover?
You didn't talk about keto at all. What kind of hunting forum doesn't talk about trending diets?

There already are a couple pretty solid threads that are good for newbies. I though it was @DaveT1963 that created a thread about different saddles, ropes, climbing styles but I could be completely wrong. It was a great thread for me when I started.

I am wondering it we couldn't make a thread of videos for the newbies? There are a few videos about how to set up your saddle, then the videos on daisy chain DIY, climbing methods, @Nutterbuster climbing trees and drilling holes.

So maybe we do a sticky with climbing methods, saddle setups and styles, rope mods for sticks and saddles, different platforms, and anything else. Then within those stickies explain the differences and include videos of each. I am sure that there is a video out there for all of them. Almost like a bock of how to saddle hunt safely.

I can be the resident jerk to delete threads and just tell people they are stupid and should learn to research a little.
I get frustrated, but I was in the same boat 2 years ago. Red and the rest of y'all went easy on me, and I gradually learned.

The hunting demographic isn't always the most tech-savvy group. Forum ettiquete and navigation was a new deal for me. Heck, I'm still learning.

But it would be nice to cut down on the "noise." Only so many ROS vs Platform threads I can swipe through.

There already are a couple pretty solid threads that are good for newbies. I though it was @DaveT1963 that created a thread about different saddles, ropes, climbing styles but I could be completely wrong. It was a great thread for me when I started.

I am wondering it we couldn't make a thread of videos for the newbies? There are a few videos about how to set up your saddle, then the videos on daisy chain DIY, climbing methods, @Nutterbuster climbing trees and drilling holes.

So maybe we do a sticky with climbing methods, saddle setups and styles, rope mods for sticks and saddles, different platforms, and anything else. Then within those stickies explain the differences and include videos of each. I am sure that there is a video out there for all of them. Almost like a bock of how to saddle hunt safely.
I think a thread with videos would be awesome!! Put that @flinginairos I fell out of my saddle one in there for sure!! I know I've asked too many questions that have already been covered...but there is so much good information here that when you try to remember where it is located, its often impossible to find again. even when searching, as sometimes the thread will segue into something different with some unrelated but great info.

Back