• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help, diet

TheYote

All my life I’ve played sports, been in shape, did power lifting etc etc. now at 37 I struggle with staying in shape. I can’t seem to get below 245. I’ve tried going careless, intermittent fasting, keto etc. just can’t seem to stick to anything. Any advice?

I went through same deal, but to a slightly lesser degree. I don’t eat from 8pm-12pm most days(sometimes I cave between 11-12 due to work schedule). I eat meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables. No carbs Unless I will be burning a lot of calories from exercise or activities. You can easily figure out your base metabolic rate online, and figure out roughly how many calories you burn a day. Eat less than that, you’ll lose weight. Pretty simple.

certain prescriptive diets help people with significant weight loss. But I’m pretty sure “don’t eat carbs” and “eat less calories than you burn” will work for 99% of everyone else.

Ask @SETXsportsman6 what’s been working for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's 1 am go to bed. Lol.

For real though, Keto. Everyone says it sucks at first. For me it wasn't bad at all. About a month in you'll want to cheat or find some justification to eat a cheeseburger. Either don't do it and wish you did, or just do it and feel bad about it after and refocus from there. I'm 6 weeks in, 24 lbs down and refocused. Had a long night out with friends, didn't eat all day until that night. Figured it was a perfect time to eat a cheese burger since it would be under 30 carbs. Boom. Out of ketosis for a few days. But I'm glad I did it. Now I'm even more focused and have no desire to fall off the wagon again. Main thing is you have to look at food differently. Yes, we all get enjoyment out of a good meal. Just find meals that are low carb that you enjoy and keep your goals fresh on your mind. Most folks say don't weigh every day, I say BS. I weigh every day and it just drives me to stay on track more. I know when I stall, I know when I gain. I know when I lose. Tracking carb intake sucks. But do it. Once you get accustomed to it you know what your meals will roughly be and if you get relaxed on it for a week or two you won't totally wreck your ketones. In all seriousness, I was 347 lbs in December. I started Keto at 322 and 6 weeks later Im under 300 lbs for the first time since 2014. It's worth it dude. Just gotta find the reason as to why you want to lose weight. It can't be just to shed a few lbs. Because youll never stick to that. Mine was my health. My body was hurting, I was always tired and couldn't play with my kid the way I want to after work. Find someone to keep you accountable. @Squatch was the guy for me. Every day for like the first 3 weeks he would ask me how I was doing, what I ate, etc.. it helps.

It's 1 am go to bed. Lol.

For real though, Keto. Everyone says it sucks at first. For me it wasn't bad at all. About a month in you'll want to cheat or find some justification to eat a cheeseburger. Either don't do it and wish you did, or just do it and feel bad about it after and refocus from there. I'm 6 weeks in, 24 lbs down and refocused. Had a long night out with friends, didn't eat all day until that night. Figured it was a perfect time to eat a cheese burger since it would be under 30 carbs. Boom. Out of ketosis for a few days. But I'm glad I did it. Now I'm even more focused and have no desire to fall off the wagon again. Main thing is you have to look at food differently. Yes, we all get enjoyment out of a good meal. Just find meals that are low carb that you enjoy and keep your goals fresh on your mind. Most folks say don't weigh every day, I say BS. I weigh every day and it just drives me to stay on track more. I know when I stall, I know when I gain. I know when I lose. Tracking carb intake sucks. But do it. Once you get accustomed to it you know what your meals will roughly be and if you get relaxed on it for a week or two you won't totally wreck your ketones. In all seriousness, I was 347 lbs in December. I started Keto at 322 and 6 weeks later Im under 300 lbs for the first time since 2014. It's worth it dude. Just gotta find the reason as to why you want to lose weight. It can't be just to shed a few lbs. Because youll never stick to that. Mine was my health. My body was hurting, I was always tired and couldn't play with my kid the way I want to after work. Find someone to keep you accountable. @Squatch was the guy for me. Every day for like the first 3 weeks he would ask me how I was doing, what I ate, etc.. it helps.

Lol ok ok
U have way tooo much energy for 1am

I’ve lost 40lb in 4 months. I went off last week and just got back in ketosis....day 5 (or night )

I ate like a filthy who** last week
It made me realize that under 30 total carbs a day is what I need to stick with

It’s just food don’t let it control u

For lunch I had 2 double quarter pounders with mayo and onion and lettuce
Water all day
Lost a pound actually and tons of energy with the ketones

Ultimately it’s ur health
U have to choose to live or die

Watch this video

Lol ok ok
U have way tooo much energy for 1am

I’ve lost 40lb in 4 months. I went off last week and just got back in ketosis....day 5 (or night )

I ate like a filthy who** last week
It made me realize that under 30 total carbs a day is what I need to stick with

It’s just food don’t let it control u

For lunch I had 2 double quarter pounders with mayo and onion and lettuce
Water all day
Lost a pound actually and tons of energy with the ketones

Ultimately it’s ur health
U have to choose to live or die

Watch this video

I'm a shift worker! Don't get off work for another 3 hours. I'm on nights until Thursday.

Check this website...marksdailyapple.com or these books “the paleo solution” by Robb Wolf and “the paleo Coach” by Jason Seoib.
even if you dont try their lifestyle change, it can teach you how the body works. The books are easy reads. Good luck, and remember that its not a “diet”, its a “lifestyle change”. PM with any questions if you want.

Robb is a great resource. He tends to jump around with ideas, but most follow the science.

Keto does not work for everyone and if you are going deep backcountry you are likely going to need the carbs.
When the folks I train ask about losing weight the first thing I ask them about is Sleep. How are you sleeping? Because no matter how "good" your diet or exercise program is, if you aren't sleeping well you won't lose weight.
THen how are your hormones, as a male I am interested primarily in Testosterone, but also thyroxin, cortisol, and epinephrine. Are you stressed out all the time? A keto or any other form of strange diet on a stressed out body can sometimes add fuel to the fire.

The leanest I;ve ever been was when I was eating a 40:40:30 and moving consistently. When I know i am in good mental health a carb backloading strategy works really well for me, but I use healthy carbs, because at 46 years old I shouldn't be crushing pounds of donuts, etc.

Check out Tyler Minton's stuff. For training check out www.powerathletehq.com
It's run by a buddy of mine, John Welbourn - played in the NFL 11 years and knows what's up.

In my opinion, any diet that makes you feel like total crap is not good. That is your body's way of telling you it does not like what your giving it for fuel. If you drink alcohol, I'd strongly consider giving it up. Your body needs to process the alcohol before anything else and therefore much of the food you eat gets stored as fat. I noticed at this age, it has gotten harder to lose weight using the same tricks that used to work. Oh, and go for walks. You don't need to get crazy with working out. Walking is easy to stick to and it works. Id highly suggest no snacking after dinner or shortly after too. Good luck.

Keto is a lifestyle change
If u look at it as a diet then u will never succeed

It makes u feel like crap in the beginning because ur taking ur body away from carbs and letting it burn fat....just like our ancestor’s bodies did.

The thing is ur going to get a million ideas on here
If u want to lose weight commit to cutting out the carbs
If not then don’t
We can have this conversation again next year after deer season when u couldn’t get to all the spots ur body would’ve let u if u lost the weight

I’m not trying to be rude either
Just a little tough love and reality
I was skeptical as hell until I stuck with it

NO MEAL will leave u feeling as good as fitting into a pant size u haven’t seen since early high school

I don't eat breakfast and lunch is the first meal of the day for me. My body never wanted breakfast but I believed people who told me it was most important meal of the day. Only eat when you are hungry and limit carbs. Eating carbs makes me more hungry. Eating protein and fat do not. Do what @kyler1945 says above.

I went through same deal, but to a slightly lesser degree. I don’t eat from 8pm-12pm most days(sometimes I cave between 11-12 due to work schedule). I eat meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables. No carbs Unless I will be burning a lot of calories from exercise or activities. You can easily figure out your base metabolic rate online, and figure out roughly how many calories you burn a day. Eat less than that, you’ll lose weight. Pretty simple.

certain prescriptive diets help people with significant weight loss. But I’m pretty sure “don’t eat carbs” and “eat less calories than you burn” will work for 99% of everyone else.
Meat eggs nuts and vegetables. This has been my main diet for about a year now and I'm easily down 80lbs.

I did IF one year and lost a few pounds but I lost quite a bit of fat. I was lore lean and muscular then I’ve ever been. I was eating a four hour window but I just can’t seem to get back on it without giving into cravings. When I get off work in the morning (0500) I tend to eat garbage before bed. Upon waking I eat more garbage. Then at work I eat clean lol. It’s a mess. I’m a comfort eater, I eat when stressed or in front of the tv. I’ve read tried drinking something like warm green tea with Splenda to help with the cravings

Look at https://renaissanceperiodization.co...ource=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=roim

I am have been in the fitness industry for the last 15 years and it is only program I have seen lasting results on with my clients and family. You can get a template for about $100 and it will last you for a long time. Best part is you get carbs and don't have to remove any certain food. Carbs are not the enemy trust science, not fads.

Look at https://renaissanceperiodization.co...ource=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=roim

I am have been in the fitness industry for the last 15 years and it is only program I have seen lasting results on with my clients and family. You can get a template for about $100 and it will last you for a long time. Best part is you get carbs and don't have to remove any certain food. Carbs are not the enemy trust science, not fads.

You’re right. Carbs aren’t the enemy - human nature is. Show me a human that can overcome his instinct to gorge on carb dense foods, and I’ll show you one who doesn’t need help with losing weight.

The suggestion to avoid carbs is founded in science. Just a different science. Yes, a person can eat carbs and be healthy. But it requires self control beyond what most normal people have or can afford to pay someone else to have for them.

acknowledging millions of years of genetic selection is not a fad. Thinking that less than a century of nutritional science which repeatedly trips over its own theories certainly fits the description a bit more precisely.

I started Keto and IF 03/19 lost 70 lbs by 10/19. Now I’m just working on moving some weight around. Nothing will work if you don’t stick to it. Keto, Paleo, Atkins, 20/20 are all calorie restrictions. There may be some chemical changes on keto etc but at the end of the day if you eat less calories than you burn you have to lose weight. Slow weight loss is best but a cheat day a week will offset any moderate plan. The biggest thing is finding something you can stick with.

Back