• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help... Florida hunter wanting to start using a saddle.

Guys, I'm wanting to try something new, but I am unsure of what trees are safe here in Florida!? I've got mostly pines to climb and was wondering are they gonna be too slick for a saddle?

Howdy....fellow Floridian

What part of the state u located?

Pines are fine to climb but get u and ur stuff all covered in sap

located in gainesville.
If the tree isnt to big, yes you can use pine,,but i would prefer something else. bark will start getting stripped of tree, they are loud and will rain bark down..then their is the sapp that gets all over your stuff.

Guys, I'm wanting to try something new, but I am unsure of what trees are safe here in Florida!? I've got mostly pines to climb and was wondering are they gonna be too slick for a saddle?
Gator, there will be saddle meet up/ demos the weekend of August 27th in Crestview Fl (panhandle) as well as one very close to you in O’steen Florida on September 3 at the Gobbler’s lodge. I would recommend you trying to go to one of those events so you can try out some different saddles, climbing methods, and platforms…

Last edited:
ty so much
The link for gobbler’s lodge. On there Facebook page, they have a bunch of stuff about the event on September 3. I’m gonna be there. The shop carries trophyline stuff. I think hang free guys are gonna be there as well but I’m not sure. It’s normally a members only archery club but it’s open to the public for this event.

Last edited:

I use pine trees and oak trees I find trees the diameter of a basketball for my sticks. and saddle work the best. some have slick bark, I find looping the rope around the tree a couple of times before putting my weight into the saddle helps keep the rope from sliding on some pine trees. Otherwise, be safe I use a aerohunter saddle but there a now many choices to choose from. The smallest diameter tree I have used 5 inches. Practice Practice with a saddle before hunting season to see if you can get comfortable. Most people cannot stand long periods and there legs and knees get sore. Some complain about hip pinch. It is up to the individual.

I've got mostly pines to climb and was wondering are they gonna be too slick for a saddle?
If it's legal where you hunt, you could stick a bolt or a tree step into the trunk at tether height, basically creating a false branch to keep your tether from sliding. Confirm that you can do that where you hunt. This will, of course, result in sticky sap getting all over your tether rope, so you might want to use some 1" tubular webbing or garden hose or something to use as a rope saver / chafing gear (depending on what terminology you prefer).

If it's legal where you hunt, you could stick a bolt or a tree step into the trunk at tether height, basically creating a false branch to keep your tether from sliding. Confirm that you can do that where you hunt. This will, of course, result in sticky sap getting all over your tether rope, so you might want to use some 1" tubular webbing or garden hose or something to use as a rope saver / chafing gear (depending on what terminology you prefer).
We aren’t allowed to have anything stuck in the trees on public land

Back