• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help with Stay Sharp Guide!

Tjraley2

Vendor Rep
So I finally ordered a stay sharp guide. I followed all the steps, made sure to get a bur, then tested the broadhead after running it over the first two pieces of sandpaper and it’s duller than before! Any ideas of what I’m doing wrong?

assuming you flipped and removed said burr, correct? only thing I can think of is that you didn't have the edge spacing right in the jig and you weren't grinding to match the bevel... you do the sharpie and such to make sure you are removing metal from the correct location/bevel?
I had one as well, but found it easier to just do by hand.

assuming you flipped and removed said burr, correct? only thing I can think of is that you didn't have the edge spacing right in the jig and you weren't grinding to match the bevel... you do the sharpie and such to make sure you are removing metal from the correct location/bevel?
I had one as well, but found it easier to just do by hand.
Yep I removed the burr. I did the sharpie, and it took the sharpie off.

Run the sharpie down the whole bevel and then use the jig 1 or 2 times and look at the sharpie mark. More than likely the factory bevel and the jig angles are off and u haven't actually started sharpening yet
That makes sense. When I set the blade down, it appeared to the naked eye that the blade was making good contact at the right angle. Should I trust my eyes in this situation or assume the angles are off? I'm thinking my eyes just aren't that good. :sweatsmile:

That makes sense. When I set the blade down, it appeared to the naked eye that the blade was making good contact at the right angle. Should I trust my eyes in this situation or assume the angles are off? I'm thinking my eyes just aren't that good. :sweatsmile:
If you figure it out lemme know, cause i, running out of stingers to use this season!!!

Assuming you have the correct stay sharp jig then? I know there are a few different ones, and if you have a single bevel jig and use it on a double bevel blades, I think that would be a pretty fat angle for a cutting edge? Spitballing here...

It took some effort to sharpen my black hornets but they pop hair now I believe a combo of breaking in the heads/guide to each other

Don't trust ur eye... Trust in the sharpie. Darken up the shiney bevel and run it across the most course grit that u have and it will show u. 95% of the work is on the lowest grit getting the bevel right, once the bevel is set it doesn't take but a couple passes on the higher grits

Assuming you have the correct stay sharp jig then? I know there are a few different ones, and if you have a single bevel jig and use it on a double bevel blades, I think that would be a pretty fat angle for a cutting edge? Spitballing here...
Yep I made sure I got the right one. I think @Weldabeast is right, the angles are off. Going to give it a go tonight and see if I can fix the issue. I'll report back.

Back