• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need some input on shot

SnakeEater

So I just hit a nice buck but I think I hit his elbow and maybe got 6” of penetration. Shot placement and blood pics are below. What are your thoughts, current plan is to wait another 1.5hrs and follow. Shot him around 3:35pm. I only trailed 20 yards or so and he was opening up more at the 20 yard mark. Shot with fixed 2 blade. Thanks gents. Hoping for the best.

Attachments

• 45214BC2-1F4F-409A-85D6-4632E7E9A37E.jpeg
    45214BC2-1F4F-409A-85D6-4632E7E9A37E.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 6EF91230-A0DB-477C-8579-5B83EF35D77A.jpeg
    6EF91230-A0DB-477C-8579-5B83EF35D77A.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 134
Good call on waiting. Those forward shots are sketchy . Hopefully you got the goods and he is piled up just out of sight . Good luck brotha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call on waiting. Those forward shots are sketchy . Hopefully you got the goods and he is piled up just out of sight . Good luck brotha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks brother, I definitely got some lung but this is killin me...hopefully it was enough

I shot a deer a few years ago in a similar spot, got 5-6 inches of penetration with my longbow. Limited blood trail on mine but found him dead in his first bed after backing out for 4 or so hours.

So I just hit a nice buck but I think I hit his elbow and maybe got 6” of penetration. Shot placement and blood pics are below. What are your thoughts, current plan is to wait another 1.5hrs and follow. Shot him around 3:35pm. I only trailed 20 yards or so and he was opening up more at the 20 yard mark. Shot with fixed 2 blade. Thanks gents. Hoping for the best.
Definitely looks like lung to me. My money is on you finding him within 100 yards. Good luck.

What broadhead, arrow weight, arrow speed? How high off ground were you? How far was the deer? What angle was the shot?

I had a shot that I was confident was full penetration, but when the deer spun to run, the arrow was sticking out 12". Turns out I did, but the arrow sheared when he ran. Gave a very different appearance.

What broadhead, arrow weight, arrow speed? How high off ground were you? How far was the deer? What angle was the shot?

I had a shot that I was confident was full penetration, but when the deer spun to run, the arrow was sticking out 12". Turns out I did, but the arrow sheared when he ran. Gave a very different appearance.
Kudupoint, 550gr arrow going 240ish FPS. I was only about 10’ high bc they came through mid climb. Just over 40 I believe, further than I like but he stopped in the only opening perfectly broadside. I’m confident about the arrow sticking out I watch him run 60y into some thick stuff and could see after that.

I bet he’s dead. Lungs/other vitals go farther forward than you think. Anatomically speaking it’s hard to hit too far forward. I bet the 6” of penetration you got was more like 10-12”. It’s hard to judge that, if anything at all is sticking out it looks like a ton. He’s probably dead but he’ll be dead all night so why not wait.

I bet he’s dead. Lungs/other vitals go farther forward than you think. Anatomically speaking it’s hard to hit too far forward. I bet the 6” of penetration you got was more like 10-12”. It’s hard to judge that, if anything at all is sticking out it looks like a ton. He’s probably dead but he’ll be dead all night so why not wait.
Yeah I’m hoping so too. I make my arrows with a white wrap which starts at 15” from front of carbon which is why I think 6”. But this helps me see penetration and blood. In hind sight though and looking at the pic I attached to show my arrows below I may have got more than 6”.

Attachments

• 556F3B70-F17C-418C-BED1-D59FAF4D6FC6.jpeg
    556F3B70-F17C-418C-BED1-D59FAF4D6FC6.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 45
All i can say is you never know with these things when you don’t see them go down.

A deers will to live and ability to keep going can be unbelievable at times. Then other times they drop on impact and never move again.

So all i’ll say is good luck! I hope he is dead another 40 yards up from where you stopped looking.

All i can say is you never know with these things when you don’t see them go down.

A deers will to live and ability to keep going can be unbelievable at times. Then other times they drop on impact and never move again.

So all i’ll say is good luck! I hope he is dead another 40 yards up from where you stopped looking.
Thanks, but your right which is what concerns me. Hopefully I see my nocturnal glowing in the dark still in him dead here shortly.

Fingers crossed for you. You've Already got some good suggestions here.
I just missed the heart of a doe with a shot like this, jumped her out of first bed and backed out to find her 3 hours later dead in 2nd bed.
There was a pool of blood in both beds.
Good call to wait a bit.

I think it’s all about how much penetration you got. Looks to me like you got and broke the humerus and got into at least one lung but how much further did it penetrate could be key. If only enough penetration for 1 lung, then he could live for a long time or even survive completely if the arrow falls out soon. If the arrow stays in him and that broadhead shreds the bottom of the near lung and severs some arteries and heart plumbing then he’ll be dead already.

My gut with the bow, arrow and broadhead setup you have is that you got enough penetration and you’ll find him dead. Good call to wait, nonetheless. I hope you find him - good luck, man!

Last edited:
Back