• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need some new Binoculars, what do you like?

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Dropped my old Brunton. 8x42s in the river crossing Sunday afternoon, because I was distracted by a hole in my rubber boots…… train wreck deer recovery. Anyway, hoping to capitalize on my misfortune this weekend & catch a deal. What do you like & why. Like to be under $300ish

I have some Vortex Diamondback 10x42s I really like. They can usually be had for well-under 3 benjamins. I saw at Cabela’s recently for under $200. Nothing fancy, they gather light well at dawn and dusk and they don’t give me a headache. Lightweight enough to fit in my jacket pocket or dump pouch if I don’t want to put around neck for climbing or layering purposes. Glass seems to be good quality and they’re comfortable to wear while scouting. I was impressed with their anti-fogging and water resistance as well. I think they’re worth more than they cost.

Dropped my old Brunton. 8x42s in the river crossing Sunday afternoon, because I was distracted by a hole in my rubber boots…… train wreck deer recovery. Anyway, hoping to capitalize on my misfortune this weekend & catch a deal. What do you like & why. Like to be under $300ish
I second Meopta, meopta Czech is who makes the glass for leica and swarovski excellent clarity and light transmission in low light. If you are looking for glass for bow hunting keep the magnification to lower levels, the higher the magnification the less light transmission. A 4x ratio between objective lens size and magnification allows for greater light transmission in low light. If you plan on abusing your binos, vortex has the best guarantee and fastest turn around, but I think the european glass is higher quality. I would stay away from Leupold, old grey mare aint what she used to be. I had a 600.00 pair of Leupold binoculars that the eyepiece messed up on, I sent my Leupolds back for repair, they sent me a message saying they no longer make those binoculars anymore, but they were going to send me a newer model. The binoculars I got back after 6 weeks of waiting was a 180.00 pair of binoculars, had I known they were going to send me back junk, I would have opted to keep the pair I sent in. The pair I sent in had japanese glass, and the replacement pair had Chinese glass…..major difference. I contacted Leupold to ask if I could just send them back and get my old pair. They said that was not possible, but I could pay them 400.00 additional and upgrade. I was terribly disappointed.

Meopta optika line is their budget line, but the glass quality is still amazing.

My wife's pair are the Diamondback HD 8x32. They are a great size and I really like them.
I have the Diamondback HD 10x42. I'll be buying a pair of Viper 8x42s to replace them because the 10x is just too much in the thick marshy areas I hunt.

You have any experience diamondback hd vs viper hd?
I bought my wife diamondback hd for birdwatching a while back, she doesn't use them much, played with a vortex set in the store beforehand and remember them feeling nicer but not worth it for her uses. Otherwise my bino knowledge is very limited and 95%+ regurgitated from what I've read on rokslide. I do spend an unhealthy amount of time reading about this sort of thing these days so feel somewhat confident, but mostly ignorant.

I plan to buy a spotting scope and hope to borrow her Binos before buying myself a pair.

These are made in the Czech republic, the glass is superior to vortex IMO, they still have a lifetime transferrable warranty, if you are not glassing major distances stick with the 8x instead of the 10x for low light conditions. Vortex glass is ok and their warranty policy and process is second to none. If you are going to put your binoculars through the ringer, getting replacement binos will be easier through vortex, but if you take good care of your glass for the most part, the meopta glass is better and would be a better option. I you can find an older pair of nikon binos used for a good price the older nikon monarchs were pretty good glass

Watch the Vortex Vipers around Black Friday! I’ve seen them get close to 300$ on Black Friday.

I have the vipers and my dad had the diamond backs and I can’t see a ton of differences. I notice it some but idk if it’s double the price difference.

Watch the Vortex Vipers around Black Friday! I’ve seen them get close to 300$ on Black Friday.

I have the vipers and my dad had the diamond backs and I can’t see a ton of differences. I notice it some but idk if it’s double the price difference.
If you look through binoculars in a store, or outside, in the middle of the day when there is plenty of light, it is real hard to tell the difference, I know an old school fart that has a large building that he uses to demonstrate scopes and binos. He will have you look through both then he turns out the lights. In the low light is where the European glass really stands apart.

I had vortex diamondback 10x42s for a few years. They were nice enough. Left them on the car and drove away, went back and found a case and that was it, so someone got new binoculars with a vip warranty. I replaced them Zeiss 8x32 Terra Ed they were around $350. They are not going even on the same field. My wife has Nikon monarch 7 12x for bird watching and those are nice as well. All around value goes to vortex diamondbacks though, at least in to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back