• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New bow strings

CamoMan

I'm looking to change my bow strings this year since they are 5 years old and showing some serious wear. What is everyone using these days as replacement strings? Also, what type of string have you replaced them with and how has the shoot in period and wear been?

I have 2 compounds and I normally change my cables and strings every 2 years. I believe they are Zebra strings and cables. I shoot both bows frequently all year round. Most of the wear I see is on the serving where the cam rolls over. Haven’t noticed a problem with the break in after changing the strings and cables. Minimal stretch.

Cable and strings every year. GAS as of this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve used Catfish Customs on my last two bows and have really liked his strings and service. Will be reaching out soon for some new threads for my Carbon Air.

I buy a set of 60X, BCY X bowstrings every two years. I buy their ready to ship option and get them very quickly. I shoot pretty much all year and bust a lot of brush. They have held up well.

I've used 60X for years. A+
I switched to Brite Strings when I started shooting Primes because of the Ox Yoke system. Also A+
All makers mentioned in this thread are also fantastic.
Properly made strings really shouldn't have any stretch or shoot-in time.

I've been using stage 1 string's for many years. Zero peep rotation and last a long time.

Just found this thread. I’m also looking to get this taken care of. Mine are long overdue. What do you guys typically get charged if you have a shop change your strings? I visited my local shop Friday, and it was around $180 without tax for their cheapest option. Seemed excessive to me, but then again I’ve never had this done and I imagine there’s a decent amount of labor that goes into it. I think they also do a full bow tune for $50 as part of that.

Using archeryshack currently, bcy Mercury. Good prices and string holds solid.

Hogwire was my last set, also very good but more expensive, used fury material on that set.

Lots of good string makers out there.

There are alot of good strings being made by guys and small setups all over ththe country but JBK strings are unparralled.

I asked this question not too long ago and lots of guys recommended Catfish Customs so that's what I went with. Haven't put them on yet so I can't give a review yet but they look good and took less than two weeks to receive them.

Are you guys all installing these yourselves or ordering online and then taking them to a shop for install?

Are you guys all installing these yourselves or ordering online and then taking them to a shop for install?
I put them on myself. They are actually pretty easy to put on. I just use a cheap cable bow press. You can get them for about 40 bucks

Back