• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New caliber options

iamcorey

There has been an update to the rules where I hunt. Previously firearms allowed for deer were limited to shotgun slugs and muzzleloader. Now they are allowing the following straight wall rim fire:
.357 magnum,.44 magnum, .444 marlin, .45LC and 45-70 Government.

Anyone have experience hunting with these? I’ve shot the first two from a pistol. All shots on deer are usually 100yards or less. I’m sure I can kill with any, but it gives me an excuse to look at new guns.

No pistols allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The story of my life; I am playing catch up.

I just bought a Magnum Research BFR in 44 mag with 7.5" barrel, my first dedicated hunting pistol.

(thread heist to the OP - got any holster recommendations? - for your 'soon-to-be' newest caliber?)

It’s to bad they didn’t include the 350 legend in there. I would go with the 357 mag personally. No other reason than I have a matching pistol.

It’s to bad they didn’t include the 350 legend in there. I would go with the 357 mag personally. No other reason than I have a matching pistol.

Same thought. I Have a doomsday supply of .357 mag.

The story of my life; I am playing catch up.

I just bought a Magnum Research BFR in 44 mag with 7.5" barrel, my first dedicated hunting pistol.

(thread heist to the OP - got any holster recommendations? - for your 'soon-to-be' newest caliber?)

I wish they would allow pistol. I could get real creative with my Thompson center encore

My father in law has killed a deer about every year with a 45-70. It’s a great caliber for deer

Any of them subsonic with a suppressor. 100 yards and in on puny whitetail ribs all day. Plus no obnoxious report. One of these days I’ll put in for one for my .444 and start hand loading

I hunt with a 44 mag. The CVA scout single shot. SS barrell. Nice light weight gun. Short barrel. Put a red field scope on it. I'm pretty happy with it for the price. I haven't shot it past 75. But I killed a few deer with it. The one perfect broadside at 30yards dropped him in his tracks. Not sure how I feel about 100yrds with it. Mostly me. But 75 and in I feel confident in it.

My father in law has killed a deer about every year with a 45-70. It’s a great caliber for deer

It ain’t great for your shoulder…but I’m a big baby when it comes to recoil

I'd go with the 45-70 myself as long as you can tolerate the recoil. I don't have the ballistics in front of me but I'd assume it's the flattest shooting of the bunch when it's cranked up

I’m for the 45-70. I can only do straight walled cartridges in my state. I’ve only taken 1 deer with it and it dropped right in its tracks. Was about a 55 yard shot from the ground. I have tried taking a shot at another deer from a saddle and didn’t do so well. I’m sure it was because I didn’t practice much and definitely didn’t practice from the saddle like I should have. The shot was around 109 yards so kind of a good haul. It was a clean miss so at least I didn’t injure it. I do love the round and would recommend it though.

I have a Thompson encore, and I’d like to get a 45-70 barrel or a .357 if I can find it. I know the contender is pretty easy to locate the .357.

With that being said I love lever actions, but one in that caliber is going to be a little outside my budget this year.

I've always wanted a 44 mag carbine either bolt gun or semi auto. Especially after seeing videos of the silent destroyer builds.

I have two marlin lever guns one in 44 mag and 450 marlin. Both are wonderful looking guns, one is a mule kicker. I'll let you guess which one that is.

Last edited:
Any of them subsonic with a suppressor. 100 yards and in on puny whitetail ribs all day. Plus no obnoxious report. One of these days I’ll put in for one for my .444 and start hand loading
Do it ! You won’t be sad. I shoot 395 grain subs out of my 450bm. The bullet hitting the deer is way louder. Full pass through and a heck of a wound channel.

I have a soft spot for the 45 colt so I’d suggest that. In a modern firearm it basically identical to the 44 mag. I have a 454 Casull lever action that i usually just shoot 45 colts out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back