• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from Indiana. one stick?

Welcome from Michigan.. what part of Indiana are you in? There are some meet ups happing in Michigan, southern Illinois I think. Few of us here in southern Michigan. Should be able to hook up into some meet ups to check some stuff out.

Welcome aboard from NJ. Tons of threads on here about one sticks. I did it all year and “mostly” love it. For me the only downside is in warm weather you really work up a sweat. When it’s cold, you have to take off your jacket to climb or you will sweat. I may try 2 tether climbing in the off season but I’m skeptical about it.

I really like it. Tried it for a while in a prior season and didn’t care for it. I had a nice stick, but it didn’t have a cam cleat; now that I’ve had some with the cam cleat, I’m sticking to it. To me, it’s a lot easier with the cam cleat. I’ll be using my saddle as a hybrid set up next year with a lightweight hang on and I’ll be one-sticking. In my opinion, it’s essentially the same amount of work; you’re either standing on a stick to set 2-3 other sticks or you’re hanging off the side of the tree to hang the same stick 2-3 times. Additionally, I feel much safer rappelling down vs fiddling with a lineman’s belt while taking down 3-4 sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like it. Tried it for a while in a prior season and didn’t care for it. I had a nice stick, but it didn’t have a cam cleat; now that I’ve had some with the cam cleat, I’m sticking to it. To me, it’s a lot easier with the cam cleat. I’ll be using my saddle as a hybrid set up next year with a lightweight hang on and I’ll be one-sticking. In my opinion, it’s essentially the same amount of work; you’re either standing on a stick to set 2-3 other sticks or you’re hanging off the side of the tree to hang the same stick 2-3 times. Additionally, I feel much safer rappelling down vs fiddling with a lineman’s belt while taking down 3-4 sticks.

I have been lugging a summit viper around for 3 years and a open shot before that.. hunting public ground with that climber on my back for 7 miles wears me out and to get 3 miles deep only to figure out theres not a tree i can get the climber in chapps my ass so there were several times i left the climber and put a harnes on and carried my bow in.. i got to a point where it was easier to find a tree with a branch that stuck out enough i could climb (bear hug) or pull my self to the limb and either sit or stand in or @ a y in the tree.. if i had a saddle i wouldnt have that problem

Welcome aboard from NJ. Tons of threads on here about one sticks. I did it all year and “mostly” love it. For me the only downside is in warm weather you really work up a sweat. When it’s cold, you have to take off your jacket to climb or you will sweat. I may try 2 tether climbing in the off season but I’m skeptical about it.
I have not seen or heard of that method before

I have not seen or heard of that method before

If you’re willing to put some time and effort into practicing and getting your routine down, it’s easy. Take it slow and don’t get in a hurry and it’s not bad at all. It’ll be 80+ degrees here the first couple weeks of season and I don’t think I sweat any more one-sticking than setting 4 sticks. I’m usually drenched by the time I get to the tree so who knows.

Thats definitely different than what ive seen before.. im glad i made this post and I appreciate the feedbak/suggestions

Hunter’s method is pretty slick. I think it would be even easier with the way the new Ridge Runner (Ridge Runner 2) that OOAL just came out with is designed.

Hunter’s method is pretty slick. I think it would be even easier with the way the new Ridge Runner (Ridge Runner 2) that OOAL just came out with is designed.

I will look into that a bit more

Looking to get into saddle hunting and really intrested in one stick climbing method

e8c6f29a3d2f91ae5507df97433a3e82.jpg

Ultimate one stick.

2TC is a lighter way to climb but then you need a ROS or a platform which is an additional step when you get to height.

Beauty of the one stick is once i get to height I’m already on my platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

e8c6f29a3d2f91ae5507df97433a3e82.jpg

Ultimate one stick.

2TC is a lighter way to climb but then you need a ROS or a platform which is an additional step when you get to height.

Beauty of the one stick is once i get to height I’m already on my platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can Tell me about that setup

Can Tell me about that setup

It’s the Trophyline wingman. I put the platform on the bottom I just like it better that way. Added the double step and standoffs from EWO. Cam cleat and amsteel to attach it to the tree and then made a 2 step amsteel aider.

Pricier than other options.

It’s a lot cheaper to go with the scout from OOAL on a one stick.

Welcome from Wentzville Missouri! You’ll find all kinds of info on different methods. Hard part will be figuring out which one best suites you. You also may use different methods for different situations. Good luck!

Welcome! I would suggest trying as many climbing methods this off season as you can. Having more than one way up a tree is never a bad idea.

I have spurs, WE Stepps and now 2TC. Depends on where I am hunting which one I take with. I have areas where lighter is better and others where the spurs are just easier because of tree selection, etc.

Back