• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from MA

Edhead35

SH Member
Hello all, been lurking for awhile. figured I would introduce myself. I'm 38, and have been hunting about 10-11 years. I live in north eastern MA.

I've been hunting on foot in Maine with a rifle since about 2009. 2 years ago, as we developed friendships and scored some private land access, we upgraded to some Agriculture lands with wood blinds we built for the owners to use as well. I have always been terrified of heights, due to vertigo caused by a tumor I won't get into, but treating that allowed me to get over my fear of ladder stands by adding a safety harness and lifeline. Everyone laughs at me, but it gets me up a tree, and I dont want to paralyze myself, so screw em. LOL.

Last year and this year, I have started going mobile with a lone wolf assault stand and sticks, and I purchased a tactisaddle this year, a DRT kit, and most of an SRT kit. I am a big guy, but I have gone from 343lbs down to about 282 and still dropping, so being more confident on my feet has made a difference in getting over the fear of heights.

I have never shot a compound bow until December 2019 when I bought a Hoyt Powermax. This year will be the first year hunting in Massachusetts, so I can get more hunting time in near where I live, as well as our yearly rutcation in Maine. Also looking at buy some acreage in Maine in the next year, but I love using public land as well.

My hunting group is a vacation group, wouldn't call them hardcore. No thoughts on wind, strategy, expansion, or other travel. We go the same camp, hunt the same spots, we have fun, we hunt we go home. As I have been learning more and more from so many great youtube channels, videos from Dan Infalt, Traditional bow hunting channels, etc, I am looking to branch out. I studied bow hunters to get better at firearm hunting, and ended up buying a bow LOL.

In my state, <1% of the people hunt, so finding like minded people is tough. Hoping to meet some friends, maybe even start a new traveling camp crew. I would love to take road trips, pack up a wall tent and wood stove and all the gear and spend time hunting in new states, new places. It's not that I don't love spending time with the boys with our casual camp, where the briskets I smoke are the talk of the town (and how we get most of our new hunting spots), but I would love to take more trips to fill freezers.

Man you sure got a lot of stuff headed in the right direction! Dig around & ask about anything that’s not clear. Great group here! Welcome from Maryland!

My hunting group is a vacation group, wouldn't call them hardcore. No thoughts on wind, strategy, expansion, or other travel. We go the same camp, hunt the same spots, we have fun, we hunt we go home. As I have been learning more and more from so many great youtube channels, videos from Dan Infalt, Traditional bow hunting channels, etc

I was the same, except I Bow Hunted alot before the kiddo's came. I switch to saddle three years ago and never looked back. Started using Beast & Eberhardt tactics. All equaled many more opportunities at larger bucks. Beware also adds stress to a traditional hunting camp. Good Luck.

Welcome from Florida. The real question here is do you smoke on an offset or are you the traeger guy? I'd put my stick burner up against a traeger any day of the week!

Welcome from Georgia! I'm right there with you on the wanting to take road trips and hunt the backcountry. I have my first opportunity at a WMA quota hunt this year. I'm looking forward to that. Keep digging here and you will find some good guys with some great information!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Welcome from Michigan! I know there are quite a few saddle hunters from Maine - hopefully some on here with reach out.

Welcome from Florida. The real question here is do you smoke on an offset or are you the traeger guy? I'd put my stick burner up against a traeger any day of the week!
Weber wsm, 3 of em. 22, 18, and a self build Franken mini. Also do it on standard Weber kettle Charcoal grills.

I was the same, except I Bow Hunted alot before the kiddo's came. I switch to saddle three years ago and never looked back. Started using Beast & Eberhardt tactics. All equaled many more opportunities at larger bucks. Beware also adds stress to a traditional hunting camp. Good Luck.
I can already see this. When I mentioned not going into the same spot twice unless it rained, they laughed and said if you're not going into a good spot waiting for the wind, they would go in anyhow and to take that witchcraft of hunting the wind and stuff it.

I tried talking to them about how much I've learned about deer behavior and topography and they're not having it. I get responses like thats not true I've seen a deer do X. I'm trying to learn what they do 90 percent of the time not 10 percent. Like I said, standard deer camp, drink, get away from wives, eat. Walk in random spots with no plan hungover and shoot 1 deer each in ten years.

Weber wsm, 3 of em. 22, 18, and a self build Franken mini. Also do it on standard Weber kettle Charcoal grills.
Are you a Texas style brisket guy? I took Aaron Franklin's master class and absolutely love the simple SPG style briskets

Are you a Texas style brisket guy? I took Aaron Franklin's master class and absolutely love the simple SPG style briskets
It is exactly how I have always done mine. Salt pepper smoke. Different woods, same process. It doesn't need anything else. I only do pork and chicken with lots of flavors. Brisket and beef ribs get salt pepper smoke.

Back