• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New From Northern Kentucky

Kaskadian

Hey guys!

I’m new here (obviously) and I’m looking to soak up some of your knowledge and wisdom regarding tree saddles. I’ve never used a tree saddle, never seen one (in person), and I’m honestly not even sure what equipment I should use. I figured I’d join you all and get serious about my search. It might sound ignorant but I’m already sold on using a tree saddle; it’s light(ish), safe, and highly portable.

I’m a bow hunter as I imagine most of you are here. 6’3 250 lbs (only perhaps relevant to the equipment). I’m from Oregon originally and moved here to Kentucky about 6 weeks ago. I’ve been going on a white tail frenzy since arriving here. Besides drawing an elk tag in state or out of state, or heading south for hogs, most of my hunting will be white tail deer.

I hunt a mixture of public and private land which makes a tree saddle a no brainer for me. I don’t like leaving stands on public land and climbers can be a bit bulky especially when I might be hiking in several miles.

It seems to me that a tree saddle checks all the boxes that I’m looking for. Thanks for having me and I’m hoping to learn as much as I can from you all. If you have any recommendations for saddle gear or climbing sticks please let me know!

Kas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! KY has some great whitetail hunting!

Feel free to PM me some questions if you have em

Welcome! KY has some great whitetail hunting!

Feel free to PM me some questions if you have em

Thanks! I’m here in Bullitt county and it seems like we’re overrun with deer. Good problem to have if you ask me.

I’m sure I’ll have questions soon man. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome from Maryland, sounds like you’re on the right track! Check the saddle hunter map & try to find someone close... even an hour or so would be worth the trip to see gear in person.

Welcome from SC! Theres a ton of information here to soak up but youre off to a great start. Equipment choice is really going to be personal preference as there are many styles, leaning vs sitting and which saddles cater to what style, climbing methods etc. Find someone near you and try their gear out itll help you figure out what youre looking for. I recently made the switch from a climber and wow its so nice not carrying that extra bulk/weight on those long hikes in. Good luck!

Back