• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from SW Ohio with questions

krockhold

I've been looking at saddles for the past year or so. I've always been a hang on stand guy, occasionally using my climber, but i want the ability of quickly and easily hunting new spots. Looking at the tethrd Phantom. My questions are regarding the tether and linemans belt. I currently have a several HSS lifelines, and a tree strap. I searched the forums and I saw where guys are using them just fine, but can you run a ropeman on them, or will it tear them up too much? I plan on getting either the tethrd tether and LB or something similar or better in the future, but for an initial investment, i was hoping the HSS lines would work. Any advice/opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome from Illinois! Sorry, not much experience with Ropemans. I know the ropeman 2 is pretty easy on 11mm static rope.

I've been looking at saddles for the past year or so. I've always been a hang on stand guy, occasionally using my climber, but i want the ability of quickly and easily hunting new spots. Looking at the tethrd Phantom. My questions are regarding the tether and linemans belt. I currently have a several HSS lifelines, and a tree strap. I searched the forums and I saw where guys are using them just fine, but can you run a ropeman on them, or will it tear them up too much? I plan on getting either the tethrd tether and LB or something similar or better in the future, but for an initial investment, i was hoping the HSS lines would work. Any advice/opinions?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome from Michigan. Not sure about the ropeman size. But the lifelines are long. If you leave it to the ground, it will move and possibly give you away. If you roll it up, it's that much extra stuff in the way to deal with. Not impossible. I believe you will want to make sure you have a stopper knot at safe distance behind the ropeman. If it fails, you have 30' of rope to go through before you get snapped in two. But unless your going to pre set trees or use a trow bag or other option to put the life line up first.... It's just extra rope your bringing along. A lot of guys count weight on here, and don't carry any more than they have to. Expecially if they go deep. Guys like me who don't have big woods to hunt or are on private worry less about weight. But clutter does bother me.
I'm no professional climber by any means. But if they are in good shape, and you have the right knots on there. They can be safe.

Welcome from NE Ohio. I just bought the Tethrd Phantom and the ropeman's, worth it by the way! I don't have any experience with the HSS, I always purchased Petzel shorts for my stand.

Back