• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy Amsteel question

USMC5831

Howdy fellers,
I’m one of the legions of new saddle hunters that have bum rushed this forum as of late.
I’ve been creeping around regularly for a year or so, and have finally decided to register and post.
Here is a little background on my conversion to saddle hunting.

So, I’ve gone all in on saddle hunting, bought a kestrel in April or May, along with wild edge steps. Didn’t like them much, (need more practice to keep them from slipping). Bought bullman ring of steps. They are ok, but also suck in uninsulated rubber boots. And I’m currently one of the unnamed masses patiently awaiting a predator platform.

I’ve had two hunts here in KY so far, and really like the saddle, I don’t plan to hunt in a regular tree stand this year.

I ditched the Sampson predator (stock) bridge that came with my Kestrel. I hated the bulk of the knots. I followed G2’s video on splicing Amsteel blue. Super simple, I’ve got two locked Brummells on either end with one caribeaner clipped to my kestrel.

After testing at ground level, I went higher. But I get a little uncomfortable looking at a 3/8 string dangling my life at 20+ feet up. So for both hunts and practice sessions, I left the lineman’s belt loose, and at knee/ankle level.
I want to trust the Amsteel, I love how light and non bulky it is.
Anyone else feel like this after the Amsteel mod? I hope i can learn to trust it. Maybe my hesitation stems from the fact that I SPLICED THIS ROPE! I’ve never spliced a rope, hell, I’ve never even THOUGHT about splicing a rope!
Any ideas on how I can become more comfortable with the Amsteel mod are welcome.
Lastly, I’ve been on the edge of pulling the trigger on a saddle for a couple years now. I’m glad I found this site, I’ve learned a lot of stuff from you guys on here.
Also G2 & Bobby Boswell & DIY sportsman have posted so much rookie info over on YouTube, that I feel like an expert at this junk, even though I’m a complete rookie.
Thanks to ALL of you guys for the knowledge.
Good luck this season!

I felt that way at first, but I'm still here, so...

Bounce on that bad boy at ground level. HARD! Try to break it. If you've got two locked brummels, it ain't going nowhere. I had a little doubt because one end of mine had to be lock stitched since I detest bridge biners. Get comfortable at ground level, and then hunt a time or two. The feeling will pass.

I would tell you Marine, the caribener will Fail before the amsteel. Look at it like this, pound for pound silk is very, very strong. If you have a silk backstop and do not tie or brace the lower end of it and and allow it flap it will stop a .22 caliber. Yeah it’s true. Amsteel is stronger. The amsteel will stretch but it is still good. If you nick or abraid the amsteel change it out. My brother is a nationally recognized OSHA instructor for the carpenters out of Manhattan. He inspects everything I am using and is using the the same products. The kestrel, amsteel and now the Predator and Mantis.
The kestrel Blew him away. Said it was better than most of the harnesses and saddles he used in the field.

Semper Fi,

Joe

By the way he is a Marine also. @g2outdoors is an Army officer. No one on here takes safety lightly. I fell 3 years ago, my fault but this is the only system I will get back in a tree with

Howdy fellers,
I’m one of the legions of new saddle hunters that have bum rushed this forum as of late.
I’ve been creeping around regularly for a year or so, and have finally decided to register and post.

So, I’ve gone all in on saddle hunting, bought a kestrel in April or May, along with wild edge steps. Didn’t like them much, (need more practice to keep them from slipping). Bought bullman ring of steps. They are ok, but also suck in uninsulated rubber boots. And I’m currently one of the unnamed masses patiently awaiting a predator platform.

I’ve had two hunts here in KY so far, and really like the saddle, I don’t plan to hunt in a regular tree stand this year.

I ditched the Sampson predator (stock) bridge that came with my Kestrel. I hated the bulk of the knots. I followed G2’s video on splicing Amsteel blue. Super simple, I’ve got two locked Brummells on either end with one caribeaner clipped to my kestrel.

After testing at ground level, I went higher. But I get a little uncomfortable looking at a 3/8 string dangling my life at 20+ feet up. So for both hunts and practice sessions, I left the lineman’s belt loose, and at knee/ankle level.
Anyone else feel like this after the Amsteel mod? I hope i can learn to trust it. Maybe my hesitation stems from the fact that I SPLICED THIS ROPE! I’ve never spliced a rope, hell, I’ve never even THOUGHT about splicing a rope!
Any ideas on how I can become more comfortable with the Amsteel mod are welcome.
Lastly, I’ve been on the edge of pulling the trigger on a saddle for a couple years now. I’m glad I found this site, I’ve learned a lot of stuff from you guys on here.
Also G2 & Bobby Boswell & DIY sportsman have posted so much rookie info over on YouTube, that I feel like an expert at this junk, even though I’m a complete rookie.
Good luck this season!

So here is some positive thinking while 30 feet up hanging by a 3/8 piece of Amsteel.
What is the prussik on a "store bought" (will not call out a manufacturer) you know who I am talking about - rated at?
Would you use that same lifeline to pull your pickup out of a mud hole?
What is the little metal clip - that "splices" ((if that's what you want to call it)) - the prussik together on above said lifeline rated at?

I agree with the other guys on here. The guys that post videos and all the DIY stuff have tested way beyond, in same situations I put myself in, more than the box store off the shelf stuff from some Third World Country. Remember the guys in those countries use scaffolding made from bamboo to skyscraper heights to work from...think on that one. I am a middle aged 240# arrow slinger and I have a total confidence in the instructional advice posted on this site. Keep the lineman's slack for however many climbs it takes (maybe you always use it) your choice with what you feel safe doing! I wore a harness this summer testing my stuff out. Will not need it this season - but that just worked for me. I used 1/4" if that makes you more confident...LOL I am still here.

Howdy fellers,

Good luck this season!

P.S Welcome to the club fellow SH!!

Are you using the tether that came with the kestrel?

If so, a trick I've been using (this is my first year saddle hunting and I think this is actually my first post on the forum...) is: with the stock tether I use a rope man to connect to my bridge. This leaves the prussic on the tether free. I put a caribener on the prussic and hook it to the D link on my riggers belt. Yes, it would suck badly if my bridge were to break and my belt is what caught me, but it does give me a little extra piece of mind that I have some backup.

Usmc5831 you can run a long tether and keep a biner at the end clipped to your saddle as a backup.

Edit: Deepquiver said something very similar. Great minds....

I feel the same way about amsteel. Can't seem to trust it. I know the ratings and all bit it doesn't help. I like a tubular webbing bridge anyway, the knots aren't bulky, it's not much heavier, and it slides through the biner the best.

Thanks guys! I’m gonna keep hanging in there until I get used to it. I’m sure I’ll keep my lineman’s clipped in a while (might try some new ideas you guys have given me for a back up) until I get over it. I’m also going to try to break my saddle and bridge at ground level with my weight. I want to trust it, and I’m sure I will.... eventually.

It was my initial fear when i got into saddle hunting about hanging from a rope. I recently like 5 days ago spliced my first amsteel bridge. I was hesitant only because it is my attachment for a long life lol!! I set it up from ground level to make sure my lock stitch was holding. I even marked it with a marker to see if bouncing on it would loosen. It held with no creep. I continued to test it with my weight even in a dead hang so now i feel confident in my ability. Do what you must till you feel safe there is no shame in that.

Safety is priority here on this site and if you were to post something that didn’t seem safe trust me you will be advised!!!

Ive had an amsteel cable on my atv winch for about 10 years. Pulled many of trees with it. Exposed to sun, water and mud it’s whole life. It looks like crap, full of frays and it’s still pulling. I’m confident in amsteel. Was a little squirmish of my splices at 1st but I buried more than G2 to be on the safe side. I’ve untied locking Bremells and it made me feel a lot more confident. Also I started out attaching the bottom of my tether to my harness belt just Incase my bridge broke. But I don’t do that any more.

I've been hammock camping for years using 7/64 amsteel. Between me and my stuff, that hammock is pushing 280 lbs and the amsteel has never budged. Pretty amazing that something less an eighth of an inch thick can hold me up. I have no problems hanging from something twice as thick!

Anyone used amsteel as your safety line? I think the ability to splice it easily would make it good for that, and it can handle the weight.

I'm not sure what you're calling your safety line but Amsteel is not very abrasion or heat resistant. I don't use it in any of my climbing applications for those reasons. Polyester is significantly better in both those categories and still plenty strong. Cordage in the arborist industry has advanced lightyears in the last decade or so. There are tremendously strong, wear resistant and nearly burn proof small diameter cordage that we use in lanyards and hitch cord that work just as well for hunters too.

Sorry, I'm new and still getting used to the lingo. I was referring to the tether. I am going to use DIY Sportsman's setup of a climbing harness in conjunction with a SitDrag, and am research various parts. I bought some Amsteel for the bridge, but I am still deciding what I should use for the tether. I have a flagship REI near me, so I am going to go look at static lines and talk to someone there. I don't think any of their employees are hunters, but they have plenty of climbers.

Thanks for the help.

It does take a little while to get used to, but like @swampsnyper said, I still hook up to the end of my tether as an extra measure of safety. Doesnt seem to gt in my way.

What part of Kentucky are you in @USMC5831 ??

I’m getting much more used to the Amsteel bridge after a few more sits. I think I will rig up a prussic to the end of my Tether for that warm fuzzy feeling I’m looking for.
KY Hunter, I live in Georgetown, you?

Back