• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Hunter, wants to get off the ground

caddis75

Hey all,

I am a new adult-onset hunter learning solo, and I am interested in a budget friendly way to get off the ground. I have a muddy harness, a lineman's rope, and a muddy tree tether. That's it. My buddy has some set stands I hunted out of a few days, and I want to get one of my own. I am into UL backpacking and saddles make sense to me. I'm interested in a simple setup to get started. I'd prefer to get used equipment, saddle, or stand. I don't think I can DIY anything, or at least I wouldn't trust myself yet. I hunt in PA.

Thanks for looking~

Use the treestand harness you already have and make a fleece saddle to go with it. Works great

I watched the video and it still doesn't make sense to me, to be honest. I can see the fleece where you sit and the two gathered ends with amsteel, but what does the amsteel connect to and how is my harness connected?

Here’s how I hunted in a treestand harness and fleece saddle
OK. Thank you. So the fleece is essentially a gathered end hammock tied with 1/4 amsteel line and this is the bridge. My Linemans loop becomes a secondary bridge when connected to the tree tether. If the tree tether fails, you are screwed, right?

I guess if I go this route I would need:
amsteel 1/4 inch from dutchware
A solid rope style tree tether or a way to use mine. (mine is this: https://shop.gomuddy.com/the-safety-harness-tree-strap/)
fleece, 1 sq yard
A platform
And some way to get up the tree safely.

Thanks. Further along, than I was before. Appreciated.

If ur state allows u to screw things into the tree, drill and bolts are real good option.
There lots of ways to climb...u just need to be honest about your physical ability and choose accordingly. Things to consider when trying to decide
1.... are u hunting private, or public, or a combination of the 2

2.... how far do u realistically travel from the truck to ur tree

3... How much weight u want to carry

As a general rule, the lighter the climbing method, the more advanced and risky it becomes IMO

If ur state allows u to screw things into the tree, drill and bolts are real good option.
There lots of ways to climb...u just need to be honest about your physical ability and choose accordingly. Things to consider when trying to decide
1.... are u hunting private, or public, or a combination of the 2

2.... how far do u realistically travel from the truck to ur tree

3... How much weight u want to carry

As a general rule, the lighter the climbing method, the more advanced and risky it becomes IMO
Public only. No screws. I'm 45, no jackrabbit anymore. 1/2 mile or less. Safety is a priority. I mean, climbing a tree is risky, but I would prefer beyond that to minimize my risk as best as possible. My uncle fell out of a tree stand and has pretty bad brain damage, so not repeating that would be great. I'd prefer to be on the ground, but that's a much harder hunt. Thanks.

I have both the Primal and the Wild Edge.

The Primal are nice, the buckles are finicky for micro adjustment. If you use a WE Perch on it you will need to stealth strip it, my wife is using this combo and likes it better. You have to pre-install the Perch as it will not work after the Primal is on the tree. You can use the same bag.

The Wild Edge has a longer learning curve to tie on.

Both are heavy. Primals are 1 1/3 lbs each. Wild edge are 1 lbs each. But both are camo wrapped.

Both are knee height or use a climbing technique. I really want to get Knaider/Swaider working, but didn't have enough practice time for it, that would get you step at chest to chin high. I tried Knaider only, that worked but was just under crotch high per step. I have been using Modified Cane Technique, so step at waist high.

My wife is using Hawk Helium's up the tree and likes them. She has trouble with not trusting the aiders, so step at knee high and then 30", or around 44" per section. We had to buy her a single to help her 3 pack. And might have to get her another. So that makes:
1 = 3' 8" or hunt at 4' 6" for 3 lbs
2 = 7' 4" or hunt at 8' 2" for 6 lbs
3 = 11' or hunt at 11' 10" for 9 lbs
4 = 14' 8" or hunt at 15' 2" for 12 lbs
5 = 18' 4" or hunt at 19' 2" for 15 lbs

My son uses our Muddy Stagger steps, they are 31" each and he puts them at head height and does pull ups to go up each step so he is getting 6' each step for 4 lbs per section. He is young and nimble and likes it. Once into the tree itself he climbs the tree instead of the steps. Personally I hate those steps, I like both feet at the same level and only 1 of my size 11's, my wife gets both of her little 6's on a step. And the monkey boy just uses the steps 1 at a time to the top step to put another on. Of course, his linesman belt technique would make OSHA run for the hills.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hey all,

I am a new adult-onset hunter learning solo, and I am interested in a budget friendly way to get off the ground. I have a muddy harness, a lineman's rope, and a muddy tree tether. That's it. My buddy has some set stands I hunted out of a few days, and I want to get one of my own. I am into UL backpacking and saddles make sense to me. I'm interested in a simple setup to get started. I'd prefer to get used equipment, saddle, or stand. I don't think I can DIY anything, or at least I wouldn't trust myself yet. I hunt in PA.

Thanks for looking~
Reach out to @Red Beard. He has the lightest and most compact setup I’ve ever seen

People are going to suggest u try 1 stick and srt but with those set of requirements I say just suck up the suck and carry 3 or 4 full length sticks and either ring of steps or the tree suit platform....u be under or around $200
Thanks. That seems like a good idea. Of course I read about the injuries with sticks kicking out. LOL.

I have both the Primal and the Wild Edge.

The Primal are nice, the buckles are finicky for micro adjustment. If you use a WE Perch on it you will need to stealth strip it, my wife is using this combo and likes it better. You have to pre-install the Perch as it will not work after the Primal is on the tree. You can use the same bag.

The Wild Edge has a longer learning curve to tie on.

Both are heavy. Primals are 1 1/3 lbs each. Wild edge are 1 lbs each. But both are camo wrapped.

Both are knee height or use a climbing technique. I really want to get Knaider/Swaider working, but didn't have enough practice time for it, that would get you step at chest to chin high. I tried Knaider only, that worked but was just under crotch high per step. I have been using Modified Cane Technique, so step at waist high.

My wife is using Hawk Helium's up the tree and likes them. She has trouble with not trusting the aiders, so step at knee high and then 30", or around 44" per section. We had to buy her a single to help her 3 pack. And might have to get her another. So that makes:
1 = 3' 8" or hunt at 4' 6" for 3 lbs
2 = 7' 4" or hunt at 8' 2" for 6 lbs
3 = 11' or hunt at 11' 10" for 9 lbs
4 = 14' 8" or hunt at 15' 2" for 12 lbs
5 = 18' 4" or hunt at 19' 2" for 15 lbs

My son uses our Muddy Stagger steps, they are 31" each and he puts them at head height and does pull ups to go up each step so he is getting 6' each step for 4 lbs per section. He is young and nimble and likes it. Once into the tree itself he climbs the tree instead of the steps. Personally I hate those steps, I like both feet at the same level and only 1 of my size 11's, my wife gets both of her little 6's on a step. And the monkey boy just uses the steps 1 at a time to the top step to put another on. Of course, his linesman belt technique would make OSHA run for the hills.

Thanks for the detailed reply. 12-15 lbs is doable I think.

Thanks for the detailed reply. 12-15 lbs is doable I think.
It is not bad for the first mile, then you start feeling it.

I think this spring I am going to try silent approach, squirrel steps, or something like it. I see some advantages to it but I haven't seen anybody actually use those systems.

Thanks. That seems like a good idea. Of course I read about the injuries with sticks kicking out. LOL.
I could be wrong cause I don't facebook but from what I seen if u using factory hook up they seen pretty safe. I think sticks are the easiest to learn and get proficient with..... Once u master them, then u move on to more sophisticated techniques...baby steps

Back