• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New-ish Member

FHNate

Hey, friends!
Been around for a while, finally making my first post. I purchased a saddle a couple of years ago, but multiple spine surgeries (repeat L5-S1 microdiscectomy) have kept me from getting out - hoping to change that this year. I'm in Washington state and thought the saddle option might be useful for hunting on the military base nearby (Army Veteran, so I can obtain base access), or to take elsewhere as an option when stalks might be too physically exhausting.

Does anyone have any input on using a saddle while managing lower back issues?
Any other WA saddle superstars that might have some pointers to share some?

Cheers!
-Nate

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Here’s a couple threads on lbp to get you started. There’s more:

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Here’s a couple threads on lbp to get you started. There’s more:
Heya! Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. Cheers!

Welcome from PA, & here's another thread:

Welcome from Central Illinois! I have lower back pain never x-rayed but I'm sure it isn't as bad as yours! The saddle lets me stay in the tree a bunch more than a tree stand. Good luck!

Welcome from Wentzville Missouri! I had the same surgery, so glad I did!!! You’ll be fine in a comfortable saddle!

Welcome aboard!
I've got a couple of compressed discs that I mostly just live with. I really, really like my Dryad Drey. I wear it on a rock climbing harness. If you decide to go with a traditional saddle but want a back band, consider making a large fleece or rip-stop hammock as a back band/lounge chair. If you like it, you'll likely appreciate a Drey Retrofit.

Welcome from Wentzville Missouri! I had the same surgery, so glad I did!!! You’ll be fine in a comfortable saddle!
The road back to "normal" is an ongoing journey, but slowly getting better. Hoping my kit works out, haven't even had a chance to get it out of the box (yeah, I went in blind ha!)

Welcome aboard!
I've got a couple of compressed discs that I mostly just live with. I really, really like my Dryad Drey. I wear it on a rock climbing harness. If you decide to go with a traditional saddle but want a back band, consider making a large fleece or rip-stop hammock as a back band/lounge chair. If you like it, you'll likely appreciate a Drey Retrofit.
Living with the pain made life worse, unfortunately surgery was really my only option to walk again (nerves were crushed). I might have to look into a back band once I get things going. Thanks for the input!

Welcome from New Jersey. I have minor back problems and I like a 2 panel saddle and or a dryad drey as well. What saddle and climbing system did you get?

Welcome from New Jersey. I have minor back problems and I like a 2 panel saddle and or a dryad drey as well. What saddle and climbing system did you get?
hey, thanks! Sorry I missed ya, family went camping for a few days.
Anyhow, I purchased a Tethrd Phantom with the Predator platform - one of their founders is an Army Veteran and they offered a pretty good deal to Veterans, so I pulled the trigger. I picked up a 4-pack of Hawk Helium climbing sticks for like $75 from MidwayUSA a couple of weeks after that. It's all waiting to get unboxed as soon as we get past this crazy spring weather. ha!

Back