• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from North Alabama

Dyehard

Hello everyone! 54 years old, bow hunted out of treestands since I was a teenager and I have decided to give saddles a try. I am thinking about going all the way to one sticking with an EWO one stick, EWO rappelling kit, and a TX5 Lonestar. Am I crazy to invest that much right off the bat?

Hello everyone! 54 years old, bow hunted out of treestands since I was a teenager and I have decided to give saddles a try. I am thinking about going all the way to one sticking with an EWO one stick, EWO rappelling kit, and a TX5 Lonestar. Am I crazy to invest that much right off the bat?
I would say if you got the money burning a hole in your pocket and you’re willing to spend the time it takes to learn, go for it. If you think it’ll be like riding a bike or tying your shoe at the start you are going to be disappointed. It is a decent leap from climbers to saddle to one sticking, but it’s not hard (plenty of fellas older than you are doing it), it just takes some patience and some practice.

Saddles can be uncomfortable starting out, and they take a little time to get the fit and set up right. If you enjoy learning new things and tinkering you’re going to have a blast. If you’re looking for plug and play you might be let down.

If you are dedicated to making it work then I would say go for it, it really is a sweet compact system. I’m in Huntsville if you want any tips for one sticking, rappelling, rope climbing, saddle set up or anything else of that nature. Feel free to send me a PM and I’ll be happy to help out in any way I can.

Nope, not at all because you will save money in the long run by not getting into sticks and then deciding to one stick. I’m 60 and I went straight from a climber to the EWO Ultimate One Stick with Ultimate Platform, three step aider 15” spacing. Man, that setup is so nice, so light and so flexible. I love it.

For one sticking, trusting your rope is the key. Let the saddle do the work otherwise you are straining all the time and sweat like crazy. Just remember that you shouldn’t be exerting any real energy 95% of the time. Climbing the aider should be the most work you do. Just act like you have all day when you start out and you will be fine. Speed will come as you get your process down. First two sessions you will question your decision, but by session 5 you will love it. Good Luck!

I would say if you got the money burning a hole in your pocket and you’re willing to spend the time it takes to learn, go for it. If you think it’ll be like riding a bike or tying your shoe at the start you are going to be disappointed. It is a decent leap from climbers to saddle to one sticking, but it’s not hard (plenty of fellas older than you are doing it), it just takes some patience and some practice.

Saddles can be uncomfortable starting out, and they take a little time to get the fit and set up right. If you enjoy learning new things and tinkering you’re going to have a blast. If you’re looking for plug and play you might be let down.

If you are dedicated to making it work then I would say go for it, it really is a sweet compact system. I’m in Huntsville if you want any tips for one sticking, rappelling, rope climbing, saddle set up or anything else of that nature. Feel free to send me a PM and I’ll be happy to help out in any way I can.
Thank you very much, and I might just take you up on the offer.

Nope, not at all because you will save money in the long run by not getting into sticks and then deciding to one stick. I’m 60 and I went straight from a climber to the EWO Ultimate One Stick with Ultimate Platform, three step aider 15” spacing. Man, that setup is so nice, so light and so flexible. I love it.

For one sticking, trusting your rope is the key. Let the saddle do the work otherwise you are straining all the time and sweat like crazy. Just remember that you shouldn’t be exerting any real energy 95% of the time. Climbing the aider should be the most work you do. Just act like you have all day when you start out and you will be fine. Speed will come as you get your process down. First two sessions you will question your decision, but by session 5 you will love it. Good Luck!
That's exactly what I was thinking. I am very OCD and once I started looking at saddles, I went deep down the rabbit hole and decided that I want to start with the system that I think I would have eventually ended up with if I waded in slowly by buying and selling more entry level equipment.

^^^ great thoughts and tips here

EWO one stick, EWO rappelling kit, both statements are generic. How long do you want your stick? What spacing between steps? What do I want on bottom and top step? Do you want to run a separate platform? Which rappelling kit do I buy? Do I want 8 mm or 9 mm rope. Do I want figure 8 or another mechanical device? I want to run a figure 8, so what version figure 8 do I want to run? I could continue to type questions.

Body type and agility play a big roll on what is preferred by saddle hunters. Some like a two-panel saddle other like a single panel. Do your research and if you get a chance to try equipment reach out. This community is the best resource to get you headed in the right direction. It also can bankrupt you if not cautious.

I am in north Alabama. One stick and rappel are my method of hunting. I have saddle hunting equipment you are welcome to try. @gcr0003 is a knowledgeable resource, and all-around great guy.

EWO one stick, EWO rappelling kit, both statements are generic. How long do you want your stick? What spacing between steps? What do I want on bottom and top step? Do you want to run a separate platform? Which rappelling kit do I buy? Do I want 8 mm or 9 mm rope. Do I want figure 8 or another mechanical device? I want to run a figure 8, so what version figure 8 do I want to run? I could continue to type questions.

Body type and agility play a big roll on what is preferred by saddle hunters. Some like a two-panel saddle other like a single panel. Do your research and if you get a chance to try equipment reach out. This community is the best resource to get you headed in the right direction. It also can bankrupt you if not cautious.

I am in north Alabama. One stick and rappel are my method of hunting. I have saddle hunting equipment you are welcome to try. @gcr0003 is a knowledgeable resource, and all-around great guy.
I like @Kenbama ‘s set up, maybe he’ll share a picture of it. He has a dedicated stick with a cam cleat and two step aider for climbing. It has double steps on top and bottom. He uses the stick to climb and a separate platform such as a predator or fix to hunt off of. Placing the top of his stick next to his platform gives him the ability to push around the tree a little more if needed.

The two seasons that I used a one stick to climb and hunt out of I used a 18-20” stick with a OOAL Scout on top and a double step on bottom with a 3 step aider. It is all you need to hunt from a saddle comfortably but it requires some twisting and fancy footwork for a offside shot. The foot room of a dedicated platform can be really nice. I have not owned a EWO one stick but I think there is a lot of metal on the top platform that wouldn’t get used by me.

Just some different ways to go about it.

@Dyehard what part of north Alabama you hunting Sam R, Bankhead, wheeler, skyline, swan creek, etc? If you’re only hunting private then my suggestions would change a lot.

Oh I am definitely researching or maybe I should call it obsessing. The question you have raised are all the things I am trying to narrow down. Currently I am thinking 12” stick with both the Ultimate top platform (angled) and lower platform with two 20” aiders. As far rappelling goes I am leaning to the Canyon 9mm C-IV with a Mad Rock.

Last edited:
I like @Kenbama ‘s set up, maybe he’ll share a picture of it. He has a dedicated stick with a cam cleat and two step aider for climbing. It has double steps on top and bottom. He uses the stick to climb and a separate platform such as a predator or fix to hunt off of. Placing the top of his stick next to his platform gives him the ability to push around the tree a little more if needed.

The two seasons that I used a one stick to climb and hunt out of I used a 18-20” stick with a OOAL Scout on top and a double step on bottom with a 3 step aider. It is all you need to hunt from a saddle comfortably but it requires some twisting and fancy footwork for a offside shot. The foot room of a dedicated platform can be really nice. I have not owned a EWO one stick but I think there is a lot of metal on the top platform that wouldn’t get used by me.

Just some different ways to go about it.

@Dyehard what part of north Alabama you hunting Sam R, Bankhead, wheeler, skyline, swan creek, etc? If you’re only hunting private then my suggestions would change a lot.
I own 100 acres that I hunt but I am also in a club near Alexander City. The club in south Alabama is where I will mainly saddle hunt.

Back