• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from Northern Virginia

Pathfinder27

Hey everyone. I'm new here, in the Army, and stationed in Northern Virginia. I just picked up a used TETHRD from a buddy last week. I'm here looking for as much info as I can find on what setup I think is going to work best for me. I've never hunted out of a a saddle yet but I really dig the concept and the flexibility it provides. especially since I rely so much on public land hunting.
I have a lot of fear to get still and I'm sure you guys can all point me in a direction that will work for me.

Welcome from Kansas and thank you for your service. A wealth of knowledge here!

I find sitting rather than leaning keeps me from moving as much. The nice thing about movement in the saddle is I feel it is more fluid and can be done slower than in a stand. By just shifting your weight you can creep to a new position. Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome from Kansas and thank you for your service. A wealth of knowledge here!

I find sitting rather than leaning keeps me from moving as much. The nice thing about movement in the saddle is I feel it is more fluid and can be done slower than in a stand. By just shifting your weight you can creep to a new position. Good luck!
Thank you. I've been binge consuming as much youtube as I can. I was turkey hunting with my buddy and he tole me to try the saddle on our lunch break just for grins and I was immediately sold. I can't wait to get in the woods with it and see how it does.

Welcome from NJ. Practicing teaches you to trust your gear and overcome your fear
Thanks. I'm actually quite comfortable climbing and hanging thanks to the Army. I've hung out of helicopters with just a lanyard on my belt. The saddle feels way more secure than that ever could. But yes, I intend to practice as much as I can as soon as I can get some climbing sticks.

Welcome to this new world. I live in NoVA and just started this year. I have a Mantis and both Helium Hawks and Wild Edge Steps. I'm in Falls Church. PM me and we'll schedule a practice rendezvous....

Another Northern Virginian! Welcome to the Church of Saddle hunting! Using a saddle is definitely where it's at for public land. Ask all your questions, I think you'll find this a pretty helpful bunch of folks.

Welcome from another Northern VA resident. I would say if you can practice and get use to it, (get comfortable, know how to limit movement, climb, shoot, and not fall asleep), public land is designed for saddle hunting. That said I hunt primarily private and use a saddle on 95% of my hunts!

Welcome from just a little south of NoVA. I'd look into hunting the bases around. Quantico, Belvoire, AP Hill, Dahlgren. etc.

Back