• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New member from TN / North AL

Unshackled

Excited about saddle hunting! I live in TN but work in North AL. I did not come from a family that deer hunted. My dad and uncle quail hunted and there were always aspects of traditional deer hunting that I did not like. I didn't like the "sit with a rifle shoot anything within 400 yards", the unsafe way and serious risk of injury climbing trees, the work of screw in steps and chain on stands, the weight and noise of a climber, and the lack of mobility and actual hunting mostly felt like just sitting/waiting. A saddle to me is like taking the handcuffs off. I can walk in freely scouting, find sign and hunt it without being too limited on what tree I can climb. I'm not limited by the number of chain on stands I have or what the wind direction is. Saddle hunting also makes public land hunting a real option for me. I've sold both my climbers and used my saddle to take down and sell 5 chain on stands! Big thanks to this forum, The Hunting Public, DIY Sportsman, @redsquirrel, @g2outdoors, @Nutterbuster, @flinginairos, @DanO, and many others. Been researching on this for a while. I've got the Aero Hunter Kestrel pretty much set up like DIY Sportsman. I'll be using climbing spikes private land and one stick method on public with SquirrelSteps as my ROS.

Excited about saddle hunting! I live in TN but work in North AL. I did not come from a family that deer hunted. My dad and uncle quail hunted and there were always aspects of traditional deer hunting that I did not like. I didn't like the "sit with a rifle shoot anything within 400 yards", the unsafe way and serious risk of injury climbing trees, the work of screw in steps and chain on stands, the weight and noise of a climber, and the lack of mobility and actual hunting mostly felt like just sitting/waiting. A saddle to me is like taking the handcuffs off. I can walk in freely scouting, find sign and hunt it without being too limited on what tree I can climb. I'm not limited by the number of chain on stands I have or what the wind direction is. Saddle hunting also makes public land hunting a real option for me. I've sold both my climbers and used my saddle to take down and sell 5 chain on stands! Big thanks to this forum, The Hunting Public, DIY Sportsman, @redsquirrel, @g2outdoors, @Nutterbuster, @flinginairos, @DanO, and many others. Been researching on this for a while. I've got the Aero Hunter Kestrel pretty much set up like DIY Sportsman. I'll be using climbing spikes private land and one stick method on public with SquirrelSteps as my ROS.
how do you like those squirrel steps as your ros? I have some silent approach ROS but just starting out with saddle hunting as well, didn't want to drop the $$ kind of wish I had now! Any pros or cons in your opinion on them?

how do you like those squirrel steps as your ros? I have some silent approach ROS but just starting out with saddle hunting as well, didn't want to drop the $$ kind of wish I had now! Any pros or cons in your opinion on them?
I really like them. The size and weight and how they pack attracted me. I’d say there is some cushion/give to them but nothing that would catch you off guard or make you feel unsafe.

Back